AUTHENTIC??? Tank

Thread: AUTHENTIC??? Tank

AUTHENTIC??? Tank

Hello WUS in need of some expertise. This past weekend I was traveling through Abu Dhabi with intentions on buying gold from a Gold Market and came across a vintage watch shop. My wife loves the classic design of Cartier and it was a plus that it was vintage and had the original strap and deployant
    I had concern because at first look of the dial it was missing the "cartier" encryption at 7oclock and the folding (top) part of the buckle looks to be forged/unfinished/ruff vs the bottom piece which was smooth.
    Upon trying to find vintage references on Chrono the closest I could find is also below. The difference I had identified was the finishing details on the clasp and the logo on the case back. I'm not sure these difference are attributed to the year of production or if it is a fake.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not sure why the other photos didn't post
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: AUTHENTIC??? Tank

Never saw a Cartier watch without their name on the back. Maybe it would not show if well worn enough. The other thing I would look for are the hallmarks showing that the case is 18K gold. I don't see any. The secret Cartier logo on the dial was not there on older watches, so that may not be significant. I'm also confused by the Chrono24 listing- the model number seems to be current but the new watches have a SS back as far as I know, so the listing photos don't seem to match and, again, I don't see a hallmark, which should be on the case and gold clasp.
    I'm not an expert but I recommend caution- at least a written guarantee of authenticity. Best Wishes
    Ed

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: AUTHENTIC??? Tank

Difficult to say on this one. Cartier did release many watches without branding on the back to allow for engraving, particularly early 60's Tank Normales, eg Jackie Kennedy's watch. Its even possible this may be an early 70's gold-plated Tank that was made under licence before Cartier New York, Paris and London regrouped. There seems to be wide variation in quality in the late 60's early 70's.

The chrono24 one looks to be late 70's early 80's 750. These were the 18k gold tanks released around the same time as the 925 "Must De" gold plated series. The 750 and 18k markings are on the inside of the case, again I think to facilitate engraving on the back.

Something that would really help with identification would be to remove the back cover to see the movement. If it's authentic, you might expect markings on the inside caseback, and also see if it's a Cartier marked 78-1 movement.

Thread Information