First big boy purchase! A few questions - Santos 2018
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: First big boy purchase! A few questions - Santos 2018

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Laughing First big boy purchase! A few questions - Santos 2018

Hi all,

I have finally decided that I am going to make my first 'adult' watch purchase! For about a year I was waiting to get a Sub but quickly realized how over-worn it was becoming. Right now I live in NYC and can count at least 1-2 subs a day during my commute. "Shortage" or not, the wait list for a Sub is getting crazier and I decided against buying a watch that everyone else has.

So, I considered alternatives and stumbled upon this beauty! Besides the uniqueness appeal, I found the history very interesting and design an absolute BEAUTY. Also, secretly thanking Rolex for making me wait as I see that Cartier updated the case design and added some cool features last year.

I've been lurking my AD and this board for a bit so have most of the information I need, however just wanted to ask you all a few more questions.

1. Would you consider the Santos a sturdy watch? I know it's an expensive watch, but I want to be able to wear it without treating it like fragile glass all the time. I won't be bashing it around, but it would be nice to have the peace of mind of knowing that I can wear it comfortably and forget that I have it on from time to time.

2. For Medium owners, do you ever regret not going with the larger size? Large owners, do you ever regret not going smaller?
    Although I'm leaning more towards a Medium, I am not sure which size to go (6.75" wrist). I have been told that Medium fits the culture of Santos better and is classier as a smaller watch.

3. Do you ever have to wind your watch? I'm very new to the watch world and know it has a Manual movement with automatic winding but am curious what happens after it loses its power reserve?

I think I had a couple more so may ask them as they come to mind. Thanks in advance! And here's a picture of me wearing the M.. makes me so happy :)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190703_151439.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	757.4 KB 
ID:	14282741
    Attached Images Attached Images

dantan, Covenant, ccm123 and 1 others like this.

Re: First big boy purchase! A few questions - Santos 2018

Oops, I may have uploaded the pic 3 times. Anyone know if I can delete/edit at all?

G'day!

First off, great choice!

I am really happy with my Cartier Santos Medium Size, which I have owned for about 15 months now.

I am extremely happy with it.

I am happy with its size, because my wrist is small, and most importantly, it does not have a Date Feature on it!

I wear it regularly.

It might not look very sturdy, but it is!

Its 100m Water Resistance is very impressive, especially as it does not have a screwdown crown!

I have not had any issues with mine and I have worn it out in not-so-good weather conditions.

Here is a thread that I started in April 2018, when I first got it, just in case you have not seen it:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f481/c...g-4674659.html

All the Best!

Kind Regards,
    Dan.
    Dan.
    A. Lange & Sohne 1815 Up/Down
    H. Moser & Cie Pioneer Centre Seconds
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Tribute Small Seconds
    Officine Panerai Radiomir PAM 720
    Rolex Submariner 114060 (No Date)
    Cartier Santos WSSA0010
    Apple Watch Series 4 Nike+
    Seiko SKX007
    Seiko SKX009
    Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400-1
    Casio G-Shock GA-700
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600E
    And others (not really worth mentioning)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great choice. I'm in NYC, and I agree. I see a lot of Subs daily. I don't see many Santos, so it'll stand out for the WIS crowd.

As for the winding, you'll probably rarely do it since you're likely to wear it daily or every other day. But it's fine winding it when the power reserve runs down. Some people say don't wind it full, but I doubt that's a huge issue for a nice watch like yours. Enjoy.

I forgot to respond in relation to the winding question.

The automatic winding mechanism is very efficient.
    Dan.
    Cartier Santos WSSA0010
    Seiko SKX007
    Seiko SKX009
    Casio G-Shock GA-700
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600E

Quote Originally Posted by imsowavy View Post

1. Would you consider the Santos a sturdy watch? I know it's an expensive watch, but I want to be able to wear it without treating it like fragile glass all the time. I won't be bashing it around, but it would be nice to have the peace of mind of knowing that I can wear it comfortably and forget that I have it on from time to time.
    It's worth noting that although Cartier doesn't advertise it, the 2018 updated Santos also features an anti-magnetic nickel phosphorous escapement and a soft iron ring around the movement to protect against magnetism. I've enquired about the resistance rating directly with Cartier and been told it should be resistant to 1,200 Gauss, making it largely immune to becoming magnetized by the sorts of magnets most people encounter day to day.

The only concern I'd have RE: durability is scratches, as that highly polished bezel could be a bit of a scratch magnet.
    dantan likes this.
    Art is how we decorate space. Music is how we decorate time.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    It's worth noting that although Cartier doesn't advertise it, the 2018 updated Santos also features an anti-magnetic nickel phosphorous escapement and a soft iron ring around the movement to protect against magnetism. I've enquired about the resistance rating directly with Cartier and been told it should be resistant to 1,200 Gauss, making it largely immune to becoming magnetized by the sorts of magnets most people encounter day to day.

The only concern I'd have RE: durability is scratches, as that highly polished bezel could be a bit of a scratch magnet.
    I can confirm that the highly polished bezel gets scratched really easily.

Within hours of purchasing my Cartier Santos, I noticed scratches on the bezel.

It annoyed me for a few months but now, when I look at it, it does not look anymore scratched up than those initial scratches, and frankly, it does not bother me anymore.

I am extremely fussy about scratches, so even that surprises me.
    Dan.
    Cartier Santos WSSA0010
    Seiko SKX007
    Seiko SKX009
    Casio G-Shock GA-700
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600E

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post

Very helpful information, thanks! That should be the only place on the watch where it can get scratched easily right?

Quote Originally Posted by dantan View Post
    I can confirm that the highly polished bezel gets scratched really easily.

Within hours of purchasing my Cartier Santos, I noticed scratches on the bezel.

It annoyed me for a few months but now, when I look at it, it does not look anymore scratched up than those initial scratches, and frankly, it does not bother me anymore.

I am extremely fussy about scratches, so even that surprises me.
    I might be the same way, especially with my OCD tendencies :) but thanks for all the info!

Brentwood, CA 94513 (San Francisco Bay Area)

Congrats!
    If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one. ~Cavett Robert

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information