Thoughts on the Tank Solo (large quartz model)? - Page 4
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Thoughts on the Tank Solo (large quartz model)?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Re: Thoughts on the Tank Solo (large quartz model)?

One month ago I was considering to buy a Tank Solo large and I read this thread.
    My thoughts were exactly those listed by omega1300, the opener of this thread:
    - Classic tank look
    - No date
    - No seconds hand
    - Blued hands
    - Classy black leather strap

Last week I finally bought a brand new Tank Solo large steel watch at the Cartier boutique and I’m absolutely delighted!
    Here I want to share my thoughts about steel vs gold version.

I agree with the sentence If the steel version is a "classic" then the yellow gold version is a "CLASSIC" but are you sure that you need the “most classic” one?

Although the most of you consider this watch an occasionally worn watch or a dress watch, I consider the Tank Solo as my every-day watch. Steel is more discrete than gold. In my working environment for example, it is nice to have a classy watch, but it would not be appropriate to wear something that looks too much as a luxury item.
    A classic watch that is not striking: that’s the Tank Solo in steel.

Also the buckle made me prefer steel instead of gold. The steel version has a folding buckle (or deployant clasp), the gold one has a traditional ardillon buckle. It’s strange that no one did mention the Deployant Clasp, an inventon patented by Cartier in 1909.

What i like most of the deployant clasp is that the watch doesn’t move around your wrist: it stays firmly in the center of the wrist even if the strap is comfortably leak. With other watches, if the strap is not tight enough, the watch moves away from the center of my wrist and I have to use the other hand to put it back in the center position every time I want to know what time it is. With the deployant clasp this doesn't happen because the size of the clasp does not allow a rotation around the wrist (I hope the explanation is clear enough )

Another advantage of the deployant clasp is that taking off the watch (i.e. for washing your hands) and putting it on again is really fast. So you can take it off easily every time you wash your hands and protect (the strap) from water.

My last (but not least) thought has to do with the quartz movement.
    Last year I had to pay €1.100 to repair a 3 years old Zenith Elite Ultra Thin with automatic movement.
    Replacing the battery of the Tank Solo costs just €40 at the Cartier Boutique.
    The quartz movement is definitely a plus for me.
    omega1300 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vesspone View Post
    One month ago I was considering to buy a Tank Solo large and I read this thread.
    - Classic tank look
    - No date
    - No seconds hand
    - Blued hands

Last week I finally bought a brand new Tank Solo large steel watch at the Cartier boutique and I’m absolutely delighted!

I agree with the sentence If the steel version is a "classic" then the yellow gold version is a "CLASSIC" but are you sure that you need the “most classic” one?

Although the most of you consider this watch an occasionally worn watch or a dress watch, I consider the Tank Solo as my every-day watch. Steel is more discrete than gold. In my working environment for example, it is nice to have a classy watch, but it would not be appropriate to wear something that looks too much as a luxury item.

Also the buckle made me prefer steel instead of gold. The steel version has a folding buckle (or deployant clasp), the gold one has a traditional ardillon buckle. It’s strange that no one did mention the Deployant Clasp, an inventon patented by Cartier in 1909.

What i like most of the deployant clasp is that the watch doesn’t move around your wrist: it stays firmly in the center of the wrist even if the strap is comfortably leak. With other watches, if the strap is not tight enough, the watch moves away from the center of my wrist and I have to use the other hand to put it back in the center position every time I want to know what time it is. With the deployant clasp this doesn't happen because the size of the clasp does not allow a rotation around the wrist (I hope the explanation is clear enough )

Another advantage of the deployant clasp is that taking off the watch (i.e. for washing your hands) and putting it on again is really fast. So you can take it off easily every time you wash your hands and protect (the strap) from water.

Last year I had to pay €1.100 to repair a 3 years old Zenith Elite Ultra Thin with automatic movement.
    I totally agree with you!
    I am not much of a dress watch kind of guy myself, but I've noticed that there are certain occasions where I want a dress watch in my collection. Large Tank with the quartz movement sounds like a perfect fit.
    So tempting!
    omega1300 and heb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by vesspone View Post
    - Classic tank look
    - No date
    - No seconds hand
    - Blued hands

Thank you for your input and some great additional thoughts on the gold vs steel debate. At one time, I thought I wanted gold - but honestly, I keep coming back to the steel. It contrasts so nicely with the black leather, that for me, I think it’s the way to go as well.

I also love the deployant, and like to hear that it keep the watch from moving around too much (annoys me as well)! I’d love to see some photos of your Tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    my positive feedback - search "omega1300" in the feedback forum!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I got the Tank Solo pair for my wife and I (XL for me and Small for her). I wouldn't think twice about getting these. There is nothing "entry level" about this watch. I think it was just watch snobbiness when people called this "entry level". It is elegant in its own way. The XL now has Cartier's own movement.

Name:  e6n3gIUgRm6cDcJNvo6PBA.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  1.86 MBName:  mGKt3i3vQM6xijtgfGEU4g.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  1.69 MBName:  sQUihUvwR7SHyKC4tyRYsg.jpg
Size:  2.12 MB
    omega1300 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chronomaestro View Post
    I got the Tank Solo pair for my wife and I (XL for me and Small for her). I wouldn't think twice about getting these. There is nothing "entry level" about this watch. I think it was just watch snobbiness when people called this "entry level". It is elegant in its own way. The XL now has Cartier's own movement.

Thank you! Great photos and a great pair of watches!

my positive feedback - search "omega1300" in the feedback forum!

Always loved the look of the Tank, a true classic watch.

I had a Gold plated Cartier Must de Cartier in the 90’s and only sold it because it was too small for my huge arms.

Would definetly get a larger size Tank again, although I am On a ban for at least a year.
    omega1300 and chronomaestro like this.
    " I am easily impressed by the best" - Winston Churchill.

"One cannot but admire the cold-bravery and enterprise of these Italians"
    Admiral Cunningham, referring to the frogmen of the M.A.S in WW2.

Quote Originally Posted by bigclive2011 View Post
    Always loved the look of the Tank, a true classic watch.

I had a Gold plated Cartier Must de Cartier in the 90’s and only sold it because it was too small for my huge arms.

Would definetly get a larger size Tank again, although I am On a ban for at least a year.
    Sorry to hear you are on a ban. What you may want to do is to get a pair (one for her of course, not all for you). The Solo XL should fit larger wrist. It comes in gold too. I like stainless personally.

This is a good idea to complement my Solo XL. Time to get a pairing for the wifey.

Quote Originally Posted by chronomaestro View Post

chronomaestro likes this.

It goes a long way

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread Information