As promised, we're off to a fresh restart. Let's review the basics first:
Features of the Watch Style Vote Winner:
- 40 mm
- two-crown design
- internal rotating bezel
- pressure rating of 5 atm / depth rating of 50 m
- Seagull ST2130 movement inside
What it is not:
- (true) diver (see limited depth rating above)
- GMT watch
During our discussions with Thomas, we have established the following:
- movement: ST2130
- choice of 40 mm or 42 mm diameter
- brushed or polished finish.
- choice of 20 mm or 22 mm lug-width (depends on case diameter)
- choice of date or no date - a date window will be at 3 o'clock position
- flat sapphire or domed acrylic crystal front) and mineral-glass display case-back at no extra charge
- price $190 per piece - minimum order of 150 watches required
Optional upgrades (additional cost):
- Super Luminova available for hands and dial (one color) - $15.
- domed sapphire front and sapphire display case-back - $20
It is possible to build a true (super) compressor but this will lead to extra costs ($ amount unknown as of yet) and delays in the project. In essence, the compressor-case needs to be designed and next manufactured; Thomas has no in-house compressor case that can be used. We may need a vote to decide whether we want to pursue this option.
Chascomm has provided an extensive list of alternatives and options for the rotating internal bezel:
- 60 minute count up (the usual diver arrangement)
- 60 minute count down (e.g. Shanghai military)
- 12 hour (e.g. Poljot Traveller dual-time)
- 12 hour with half-hour marks (e.g. vintage Poljot military chrono)
- 12 hour world-time, double-stacked city names (e.g. Poljot Traveller world-time)
- 24 hour world time, single row of city names, with matching 'passive' 24 hour marks on edge of main dial (e.g. Stuhrling's recent Orient homage)
- 12 hour numbers with 60 minute marks combo (I can't think of an existing example)
Other alternatives mentioned:
- slide rule
- Earthly Branches
It's tricky business when mentioning names - there is always the risk of leaving someone out. I'm willing to take that risk and apologize beforehand to the people I may have missed (send me a PM and I will add your name here). Serevro, tmr5555, pcmxa, miroman, ColinW et al have put their design- and artistic skills to good use and presented us with interesting and cool visuals of what this project watch could look like. I am not going to show all alternatives and iterations, just a few to refresh our memories, revive interest and to get the creative juices flowing again. If I have failed to post designs that you feel very strong about, feel free to add to this thread.
Note: I realize that some designs show GMT lay-outs and need to be modified as we are not creating a GMT watch.
on behalf of the 2012 WUS Chinese SE Project Committee
PS prices quoted are in USD / USA-dollars