2013 WUS ST5 Project Design - Part 2
Like Tree322Likes

Thread: 2013 WUS ST5 Project Design - Part 2

Page 1 of 64 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 ... LastLast

2013 WUS ST5 Project Design - Part 2

After much debate, a late-night (for Torsten and I) five-way conference call and numerous calls/meetings with Thomas we present to you........the Design Thread Part 2. *Fanfare*

Due to the need for more parts and reserve movements the price may be adjusted to US$160 per watch. We'll keep you updated on this.

A few things we have decided to put to the vote:

1) Choice of 38mm, 39mm or 40mm SS watch case. The watch case and rim will be kept as thin as aesthetically possible, not difficult as movement itself is slim and handwinding.

2) 18mm or 20mm lugs.

3) We are happily able to offer 2 different dial colours!!!! Please note there is a minimum order of 50 for each colour, so any combinations such as 50/100 or 75/75 are possible. Both dials must also have the same finish, ie. both plain or both sunburst. We are toying with the idea of doing 2 separate votes: 1 for light-coloured dial (perhaps silver, champagne and gold) and 1 for dark-coloured dial (black or blue).

4) Curved vs. pie-pan dial.

5) 3-4 sets of hands and seconds hands will be offered in a vote.

Specifications not up for discussion (being the despots that we are):

1) Domed acrylic crystal

2) Transparent crystal case back to show off this foxy lady

Other issues:

1) Applied, thick and plain markers will be used in keeping with the VCM theme. We will need to see the final design before making a decision.

2) A 5.5-6mm crown (with sloped sides to make it look smaller) will be used, possibly with a raised star instead of the WUS logo this year.

3) Case back engraving with something to commemorate the ST5's 40th anniversary and lasered LE numbers as usual.

4) 1 year warranty from Thomas.

5) Thoughts on 1 vote per watch? I agree with this method, not only because I will be purchasing several (some are for friends who rarely frequently WUS and would like a say), but it seems logical to offer weighted votes.

Update on voting method - 17th December, 2012

Hi everyone, since we are nearing our 100 deposit target (currently at 92 when we have confirmed all payments) now would be a good time to announce a trial run for the closed voting system. This is due to the number of complaints about last year's open voting system and the possibility of influencing the final result through last minute vote changes. Voting for case size will start on 20th December, 2012 and end on 30th December, 2012.

We will conduct both the case and lug size votes through this new system, whereby members with voting privileges will send their choice via email to 3 pre-selected Design Committee members and are not allowed to change their vote. The results will be tallied free of outside influence and we will post the list of votes so everyone can check their own choice was correctly placed.

During this trial run, the 1 vote per watch suggestion will be temporarily suspended and each member is only allowed one vote no matter how many watches they have ordered.

Only one 'email vote' will be accepted, spoilt / invalid votes will not be counted and no second vote will be accepted.

When voting starts all members on the main registration list that have not paid their deposit will be removed and placed in the waiting list. From now on, you will only be placed in the main list once your deposit is confirmed paid by Thomas.

All LE numbers that are currently reserved for members of the 2012 project will be released to any member that pays the deposit once voting commences.

Members can check if their vote was received by checking the voting summary tab in the registration spreadsheet.

A few mock ups from the previous thread I would purchase without a thought .

Name:  ST5-thin.jpg
Views: 6821
Size:  149.0 KBName:  ST5-black.jpg
Views: 6285
Size:  148.3 KB
    Name:  ST5-blue2.jpg
Views: 8576
Size:  160.7 KBName:  ST5-bund.jpg
Views: 5560
Size:  152.8 KB
    Name:  ST5-gold2.jpg
Views: 5247
Size:  160.9 KBName:  vcd-dress-chmp-brushed.jpg
Views: 5145
Size:  200.1 KB
    Last edited by hked; December 18th, 2012 at 02:41. Reason: Added more stuff and corrected poor English / spelling - to the best of my ability

Re: 2013 WUS ST5 Project Design - Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by hked View Post
    After much debate, a late-night (for Torsten and I) five-way conference call and numerous calls/meetings with Thomas we present to you........the Design Thread Part 2. *Fanfare etc.*

Due to the need for more parts and reserve movements the price may be adjusted to US$160 per watch. We'll keep you updated on this.

A few things we have decided to put to the vote:

1) Choice of 38mm, 39mm or 40mm SS watch case
    2) 18mm or 20mm lugs
    3) To our joy we are able to offer 2 different dial colours!!!! Please note they will only be available in units of 50, for example 50 x A and 100 x B or vice versa. Both dials must also have the same finish, ie. both plain or both sunburst.

There are a number of other points I would like to add, but it is getting late so I'll continue tomorrow.
    Crikey, it must be seriously late in Hong Kong. Go to bed!

Ric

Please consider NOT to vote for the case size and keep it at 38 mm.
    Auroch likes this.
    Instructions on How to Wind a Watch

Death stands there in the background, but don't be afraid. Hold the watch down with one hand, take the crown in two fingers, and wind it smoothly. Now another term opens, trees spread their leaves, boats run regattas, time like a fan keeps filling with itself, and from it gushes the air, the breezes of earth, the shadow of a woman, the sweet smell of bread.

What did you expect, what more do you want? Quickly, strap it to your wrist, let it tick away in freedom, imitate it eagerly. Fear rusts the pallet forks, everything that could be reached and was forgotten keeps corroding the watch's veins, cankering the cold blood of it's rubies. And there in the background stands death if we don't run and arrive early and understand that it doesn't matter anymore.
    --Julio Cortázar

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would love the 40mm case. Obviously 38mm is more in keeping with the the style, but the Committee has already put in a whole bunch of non-vote safeguards to make sure that the 2013 isn't completely off-track. The thinness of the watch is what matters in making in a dress watch, and 40mm will allow more wear in casual settings.
    Illyria, Luskar and Wally79 like this.

Seems to me that the case size and the lug size are extremely intimate, and so it's valid for hked to link the voting. And a big amen to the thinness of the rim.

The option of two dial colours is one that I didn't think of. Could be great.

Ric

Quote Originally Posted by Serevro View Post
    Please consider NOT to vote for the case size and keep it at 38 mm.
    So what you would like is to have your choice and not let anyone else vote? Ingenious!

For the record I agree with your choice - I wear a 44m diver but the crystal/dial is 35mm - the rest is bezel; all-dial designs like this one (or my Tissot Visodate) wear much bigger. I think 40mm all dial is too big. I have a 7 inch wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    So what you would like is to have your choice and not let anyone else vote? Ingenious!

For the record I agree with your choice - I wear a 44m diver but the crystal/dial is 35mm - the rest is bezel; all-dial designs like this one (or my Tissot Visodate) wear much bigger. I think 40mm all dial is too big. I have a 7 inch wrist.
    It's because I'm afraid a 40 mm case would be against the very essence of this particular project.

Not only because the face would look too big: I think this watch is meant to be admired from both sides, and the movement would look too small on a 40 mm case; think about a little hole in a big plate.
    Instructions on How to Wind a Watch

Death stands there in the background, but don't be afraid. Hold the watch down with one hand, take the crown in two fingers, and wind it smoothly. Now another term opens, trees spread their leaves, boats run regattas, time like a fan keeps filling with itself, and from it gushes the air, the breezes of earth, the shadow of a woman, the sweet smell of bread.

What did you expect, what more do you want? Quickly, strap it to your wrist, let it tick away in freedom, imitate it eagerly. Fear rusts the pallet forks, everything that could be reached and was forgotten keeps corroding the watch's veins, cankering the cold blood of it's rubies. And there in the background stands death if we don't run and arrive early and understand that it doesn't matter anymore.
    --Julio Cortázar

I haven't send money yet, because i wanna see some disign first, but vintage should be 38mm
    best regards,

Marco

Blue would be nice ;)
    ....or the grey/black, but please not grey/silver matt :(

Decided to join in on the fun. Two dial color choices are great news. Are we still restricted to previously mentioned choice of colors? I belive it was black, silver and champagne.
    Cheers,
    Josip

Page 1 of 64 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread Information