Design idea for the ST5 project - crazy? brilliant? blasphemy?
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Design idea for the ST5 project - crazy? brilliant? blasphemy?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Design idea for the ST5 project - crazy? brilliant? blasphemy?

...probably too late, anyway.

Well, the post office has been busy this week, but today the most important package arrived: my dual crown 2012 project watch. What a lovely thing it is.

I was drooling whilst looking at the blue rotor when an idea sprang into my mind. The blue rotor has been a feature for both the 2011 and 2012 project watches...it wont take much for this blue to be considered a signature for WUS watches. Next to it, I had an ST5 seagull with one of Torsten's transparent case backs. What would it look like if the triangular striped plate were blue. Ugly, weird, fantastic?

https://forums.watchuseek.com/attachm...ed-photo-1.jpg

It would be fun if one of you photoshop boffins out there tried to do a render of what this would look like.

One side of my brain says that this would be uber-cool, and the other says that this would be blasphemy of the worst sort. My brain functions that way.
    Last edited by zamazama; July 10th, 2013 at 21:14.

Re: Design idea for the ST5 project - crazy? brilliant? blasphemy?

I can't speak for everyone, but from what I've seen part of the appeal of this project is the authenticity that goes with using the ST5 movement.

Who knows though. I'm not in the project anymore so my opinion doesn't count!
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Maybe blueing the mainspring cog and etching a W on it could work.
    Illyria likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by zamazama View Post
    ...probably too late, anyway.

Well, the post office has been busy this week, but today the most important package arrived: my dual crown 2012 project watch. What a lovely thing it is.

I was drooling whilst looking at the blue rotor when an idea sprang into my mind. The blue rotor has been a feature for both the 2011 and 2012 project watches...it wont take much for this blue to be considered a signature for WUS watches. Next to it, I had an ST5 seagull with one of Torsten's transparent case backs. What would it look like if the triangular striped plate were blue. Ugly, weird, fantastic?

https://forums.watchuseek.com/attachm...ed-photo-1.jpg

It would be fun if one of you photoshop boffins out there tried to do a render of what this would look like.

One side of my brain says that this would be uber-cool, and the other says that this would be blasphemy of the worst sort. My brain functions that way.

Blue Sea-Gull ST5 movement? The wrathful VCM Gods would strike us all down with righteous vengeance. Blasphemy!

Ric

Tried the blue, not sure if it works, text on the gear could be nice though:
    Name:  st5-1.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  30.0 KB
    Name:  st5-2.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  30.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Ric Capucho View Post
    Blue Sea-Gull ST5 movement? The wrathful VCM Gods would strike us all down with righteous vengeance. Blasphemy!

Ric
    Here, here! Where are the pitchforks? Get the torches! Warm up that tar! Pluck some chickens!

Rick "anathema!" Denney

P.S. I've been waiting a long time for an appropriate time to use the word "anathema!" (the exclamation point is, I'm convinced, part of the spelling). But, seriously, the point of this project is to present the beauty of the movement as it is. There are already many ways to buy CMW's with falsely blued bits.

R "for whom the movements are pretty enough as-is" D
    Ulysse Nardin: Marine 1183-126*; Zenith: Captain 03.2110.400*; Cartier: Santos 100 XL Concord: C1 Big-Date*, C1 Chronograph*, Saratoga Dual-Time Chronograph, Mariner; Ebel: Chronosport 1134901, Tekton 9137L83* (*=COSC)
    Ebel: 1911 BTR 9137L73*, 9139L71*, 1911 1120L41*, 9080241, Brasilias 9120M41 (2), Aquatica 500 9120K61, Classic Hexagon GMT 9301F61, Classic 100 LE 9120R41, Type E 9137C41*; Baume & Mercier: Capeland World Timer
    Heuer: Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3110; Maurice Lacroix: Masterpiece MP6439; "Seagull": 1963 cal. ST19; Seiko: Monster SRP307; Poljot: Sturmanskie cal. 3133; Tissot: T-Touch Lew and Huey: Acciona
    Vintage: JLC: ref. 2953, ca. 1946; Longines: Flagship cal 285; Zodiac: SST cal. 86, Aerospace GMT cal. 72; Favre-Leuba: cal. 253; Tianjin: Dong Feng cal. ST5; Elgin: Gr. 152 (1898), Gr. 384 (1919); Ebel: ca. 1962 ref. 9214955
    WUS: ST5 Project Watches, F72.2014.DG3804; Swatch: Sistem 51 Blue; TNT: Rattrapante cal. Rochat 7750+RAT-1

If ever I needed proof that I was a miscreant, the punitive expedition that is tracking me down will soon impress it upon me with appropriate means!

If ever I needed proof that I was a miscreant, the punitive expedition that is tracking me down will soon impress it upon me with appropriate means!
    Actually, the engraving on the cog looks nice...and it would allow for a wider window to the transparent case-back, to see the movement in all it's beauty, since we'd no longer really need any engraving around the case back.

But then the ultra-orthodox might still see this as the manifestation of the evil ways of the unenlightened...that being said, taking an ST5 out of it's original hallowed receptable and putting it into a modern case is probably already a sin deserving of a good stoning!

Have to run, I can hear the hounds baying...

Have to run, I can hear the hounds baying...
    Run fast, them's not hounds. Them's werewolves...

Ric

p.s. I used to be a werewolf, but I'm alright nowooooooooooooooooooooo

Originally, I thought the engraved, blue cog was a terrible idea in particular the blue cog.

After discussing it with the lads on Friday night, when ever-ready Torsten produced a ST5 from his bag, the idea didn't seem so silly after all. Colouring the cog is not an option as it may warp its shape, rendering it useless, and we do not have an unlimited supply of spare parts. The additional thickness of the cog may also affect the overall performance of the movement. Laser etching the cog, however, might be a nice touch and we thought something simple like the WUS logo and ST-5 would look great.

So it seems we need to add a few more vote threads to wrap up loose ends.............phew, the lengths you guys go to to carry on voting!!!!
    ochong likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information