A new 24hr watch face. (Your thoughts ?)

Poll: What do you think about this design ?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Like Tree6Likes

Thread: A new 24hr watch face. (Your thoughts ?)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

A new 24hr watch face. (Your thoughts ?)

In view of my (in the mail) new Glycine 22, I thought to put together a concept illustration of what I feel might be a personal touch on this fine watch.

The enhanced design has the following features:
    a) Color-coded lume on the hands (Orange minute-hand corresponding to the orange minute numerals and white hour-hand corresponding to white hour numerals).

b) Use of symbolism (sunlight behind a mountain line) to visually enforce the paradigm that the hour-hand (roughly) follows the actual celestial object. As opposed to traditional 12 hour watches that are abstract.

c) Red lume on the hour markers divide the watch in 4 quadrants (easier to tell time at night merely by looking at the lume alone).

d) Date window moved to the 24hr spot since that is when the date actually changes.
    (Also, we'd rather have the date hidden under the hour hand during midnight than at 1800. At 1800 we might still want to read the date from time to time)

e) The odd numbered hour markers no longer blend into the minute markers.

Enhanced design:
    Name:  GlycineBase23b.jpg
Views: 2950
Size:  183.1 KB

The original:
    Name:  Glycine-AirmanBase22(200m).JPG
Views: 1791
Size:  59.3 KB
    Last edited by ThomasAn; May 21st, 2011 at 21:57.
    PR0TEUS and Ftumch like this.

Re: A new 24hr watch face. (Your thoughts ?)

excellent idea but still has my pet hate, the tail on the hour hand ,It seems to be cheating

a) good idea - makes sense
    b) very nice!
    c) I would prefer 8 "quadrants" corresponding to the quadrants on 12h models as in early Yantars (0, 3, 6, 9 ...).
    d) Yep, agree.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I can see the benefit of moving the date window and I agree with the thinking behind it. I believe the altered odd numbered hour markers would also be an improvement.
    The other points you mention I don't see as improvements.
    Unlike Citralex I do like the tail on the hour hand. How is that supposed to be cheating? I like to see a clear difference between the hour hand and the minute hand but it's not necessary to give them different colours if the shape is already more than adequate difference.
    I don't like the way the numerals for the hours flip over between 18 and 19 on the dial. If you read them out while rotating the watch it goes 16, 17, 18, 91. On the opposite side of the dial it goes 3, 4, 5, 9.
    That's on both the original and your proposal.

Very , very nice.

I like it.

With the date relocated, I'd make the 6 and 18 hour markers triangles as well, and make all the hour markers white (lose the red). Now that I think of it...that would look like an Early Bird

Otherwise I'd shorten the hour hand to the original length to better differentiate between it and the minute hand.
    I like separating the hour and minute tracks, but if you're going to keep the hour hand short and the minute hand long (standard config), then I'd consider putting the minute track outside the hour track. Some Seiko divers have the minute track on the rehaut (the raised portion between the dial and bezel). I've never seen this on a 24 hour watch but would like to. Yantar/AirNautic have the minute track outside the hour track and it works well, but they don't have the second timezone (bezel) so that's would be neat to see.

On the other discussions:

I like the hour hand tail. I think it's an attractive design element. I've never used it (or been tempted to use it) for reading across to the 12 hour equivalent, so I don't see it as cheating.

Having the numbers flip rightside up half way around the dial is the standard for parts that don't move (like a dial). Compare the Rolex Explorer II fixed bezel numbers to the numbers on the rotatable GMT Master II bezel.
    "Try SCE to AUX"

Dennis Smith

24 Hour Forum Moderator

2010 AirNautic Early Bird (#1&#50)

Rolex GMT Master II Pepsi
    Custom-dialed Ginault Ocean Rover
    Glycine Airman
    Zodiac White Wolf

I seem to be the ‘odd man out’.

I like having the 24th hour at the top and 12th hour at the bottom. I would like very much to have one of these watches, but until then I will be content with my LUM-TEC Combat B4.

I really like all your touches except for the mountain. I'm not a fan of pictures on my watches. I'd prefer just a blue to black fade. Also, if I could get it with tritium markers and hands it would be my perfect watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Smith View Post
    Very , very nice.
    On the other discussions:

I like the hour hand tail. I think it's an attractive design element. I've never used it (or been tempted to use it) for reading across to the 12 hour equivalent, so I don't see it as cheating.
    Am I just being dense?
    The tail does not point at the 12 hour equivalent.

At 04:00 the tail points at the 12 hour watch equivalent of 2 o'clock,
    at 06:00 it points at the 12 hour equivalent of 3 o'clock
    08:00 at 4, 16:00 at 8 etcetera.
    I just don't get the comment that it is (like) cheating.

Equally, on a 24 hour watch with noon at the bottom, the tail of the hour hand would not point at the 12 hour watch equivalent.
    14 > 1, 16 > 2, 18 > 3 ....

I do hope someone can explain what the cheat is supposed to be.

Let's say you're a typical civilian who has no idea how to conceptualize military (24 hour) time.
    On a 24 hour watch, when the time reads between midnight and noon, this person can just read the AM time off the dial, almost digitally.
    For the rest of the day (13-23) when this person has no idea what the numbers "mean", he can look across the tail to the "PM" equivalent.
    "Try SCE to AUX"

Dennis Smith

24 Hour Forum Moderator

2010 AirNautic Early Bird (#1&#50)

Rolex GMT Master II Pepsi
    Custom-dialed Ginault Ocean Rover
    Glycine Airman
    Zodiac White Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by peagreen View Post
    Am I just being dense?
    The tail does not point at the 12 hour equivalent.

At 04:00 the tail points at the 12 hour watch equivalent of 2 o'clock,
    at 06:00 it points at the 12 hour equivalent of 3 o'clock
    08:00 at 4, 16:00 at 8 etcetera.
    I just don't get the comment that it is (like) cheating.

Equally, on a 24 hour watch with noon at the bottom, the tail of the hour hand would not point at the 12 hour watch equivalent.
    14 > 1, 16 > 2, 18 > 3 ....

I do hope someone can explain what the cheat is supposed to be.
    I think Dennis has explained it perfectly . the tail is only relevant after noon . I personally don't like it . . I think peagreen needs to have a better look at his watch. On my earlybird 2 is opposite 14 . 16 opp 4. 18 opp 6 . HHmmmm might be better with a digital

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information