1815 chrono / Lange 1 Darth / Datograph MK1 - did I choose the wrong one?
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 1815 chrono / Lange 1 Darth / Datograph MK1 - did I choose the wrong one?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1815 chrono / Lange 1 Darth / Datograph MK1 - did I choose the wrong one?

Urgh...I really hoped this wouldn’t happen but I might be suffering from buyers remorse on my first ALS purchase. Let me explain:

I love the brand, wanted a high-end white metal / black dial work watch for mon-fri in the office. Something to buy and keep long term. I read every review, tried many, many watches on, and decided to jump on the Lange 1 Darth when a good example came up in my price range. It enabled me to keep a ‘good’ weekend watch (Rolex Sub “Hulk”) and my small but significant collection of Seikos and Grand Seikos. I’ve had the Lange 1 for a week now and it just hasn’t given me the feeling of contentment that I really thought (hoped) it would!

My options are to persevere and see if I warm to it, or sell it on and buy a new 1815 chrono (though I’ll need to part ways with my Hulk to fund it), or possibly go for an early Datograph which is slightly more casual / sporty and therefore maybe a better ‘one-watch’ option.

I’m pulling my remaining hair out trying to figure this quandary out, and I’d be grateful for any thoughts / advice. Plagiarised images of each from Instagram included for reference...

Many thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: 1815 chrono / Lange 1 Darth / Datograph MK1 - did I choose the wrong one?

Personally, I don't think a week is long enough for you to decide--I'd give it more time, at least a month. The trade-in/resale value takes its hit as soon as you leave the store, so a few more weeks won't matter. I would also think long and hard about giving up the Hulk if you really enjoy it, as the current premiums on them are crazy, should you have regrets and want to re-acquire one.

CFR

Quote Originally Posted by greentimgreen View Post
    I’ve had the Lange 1 for a week now and it just hasn’t given me the feeling of contentment that I really thought (hoped) it would!
    Despite the significant research you did and the thought you put into the decision, unfortunately the L1 Darth left you feeling differently than you had hoped -- a bit disappointed. I see no reason why the very same thing wouldn't happen if you got an 1815 Chrono or a Dato -- that you still wouldn't feel as content as you wanted to feel.

I see two choices in the near future (assuming you're not going to continue to grow your collection by adding more high-end watches soon): (1) Lower your expectations and be grateful for what you already have as you sit with the Darth for awhile longer (you can do this because expectations are cognitively controllable); or (2) keep your expectations constant and continue to try to meet them. Option (2) can be costly and can lead to "serial flipping" as you go from one watch to the next, looking for that ever-elusive peace (and piece). What I love about Lange watches is the incredible detail and craftsmanship that goes into every piece. Watching some videos of Lange's manufacturing process, and reading some reviews, might help you better appreciate your recent purchase. I sure do hope you warm up to it, since it's such a super cool watch that very few people have!

Also, just in case ... you might consider a different strap. A strap change can often make a huge difference.
    Sebast975 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Firstly, thank you both for your views, I really appreciate them. I’ve built the watch up in my mind to be “the perfect watch”, top of the tree in my collection, and one to keep forever and ever, and that’s why I think I’m feeling this way.

I think you’re both right that I should persevere some more with it and do some more research around it before any knee-jerk decisions. I know the watch is special, it’s the reason I bought it in the first place, I just need to rediscover it as part of my collection.

Part of the issue is, as a modern-vintage piece, the only purchase option was via Chrono24, which lacks some of the excitement and drama that you get from a shop purchase. But I’ll start forming memories with it now and see if they stick.

Once again, I appreciate your thoughts!

This has certainly helped!

https://www.bexsonn.com/a-lange-sohn...ply-beautiful/

How often would you use the chronograph function?

Quote Originally Posted by Watch129025 View Post
    How often would you use the chronograph function?
    Hardly ever! But the balance of the dial is stunning. I also think I’d stare at the movement constantly!

In any sense, a fantastic quandary to have. Stellar watches all. Congrats on your current or future Lange.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    In any sense, a fantastic quandary to have. Stellar watches all. Congrats on your current or future Lange.
    Thank you kindly

Quote Originally Posted by greentimgreen View Post
    I’ve built the watch up in my mind to be “the perfect watch”, top of the tree in my collection, and one to keep forever and ever, and that’s why I think I’m feeling this way.
    I'm not sure there is such a thing as the "perfect watch," any more than the perfect car or the perfect house. I have a fairly decent collection, and while I'm very happy with what I have, each and every piece has something that prevents it from being the "perfect watch." Or maybe I'm too picky, but perfection would require the absence of anything to pick at, right?

The good news is that I think it's possible to have the perfect collection (if you're not looking for perfection in one piece). The bad news is then you need more than one piece.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information