Do ALS watches appreciate or depreciate over time
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Do ALS watches appreciate or depreciate over time

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do ALS watches appreciate or depreciate over time

I know and agree that the foremost consideration in buying a watch should never be because you expect it to appreciate.

However, I cant deny the appeal of buying something that i hope has a reasonable chance of retaining its value in 10, 20 years

Also cant deny the sting of knowing im about to spend 30gs and tomorrow it will lose 30% its value.

Personally Ive been eyeing either the saxonia thin or the 1815 up/down. But ive also got my eye on an FP journe or a calatrava.

Do ALS watches hold value at all? If not, where would you guys recommend i hunt for an pre owned but good as new ALS watch?

Thank you very much !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CFR

Re: Do ALS watches appreciate or depreciate over time

What country are you in?

Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    What country are you in?
    The Philippines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My opinion is based on your choosing the ALS or Calatrava.
    IMO the ALS is a better value in terms of workmanship. However the Calatrava will hold its value better.
    As to which is nicer is very subjective.

I have the Lange 1 and the Calatrava 5296r.
    If I were to chose one, it would be the Lange 1.

Have fun in your quest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It will appreciate based on 1) trend/hype 2) supply; no one predicted what is happening now with Rolex SS line and Patek Nautilus, etc...

To take a less potential hit, you can always buy second hand watches where most of the depreciation is taken.
    In order I have obtained
    > Seiko Chronograph SNA013P The Great Blue l Chopard Mille Miglia GTXL Rosso Corsa l Tudor Heritage Chrono Blue Monte Carlo
    Seiko 5 SNXF01K1 Silver Fox l Seiko 5 - SNKP21J1 Middle East Edition l Longines Heritage 180th Anniversary Chrono
    Omega - Speedmaster Pro Project Alaska l G-Shock - G-9000MX-8 Mudman l Seiko Prospex SRPB51J1 Samurai
    Grand Seiko SBGJ227 Peacock l G-Shock GMWB5000GD-9

My Reviews: Eulit Perlon Strap / Tudor Rubber Strap - Vanguard

Quote Originally Posted by De Wolfe View Post
    To take a less potential hit, you can always buy second hand watches where most of the depreciation is taken.
    ^^^^this. Very very few watches will appreciate, and if they do, it's usually a bubble (unless you're talking about one specific watch with, say, a famous owner). Don't count on appreciation in value, just appreciation in wearing it.
    GrouchoM, drhr, jsohal and 1 others like this.

CFR

Quote Originally Posted by Bluekaze2180 View Post
    The Philippines
    Thanks. I have no recent experience with preowned dealers in your region, so I can't recommend anyone. Certain limited edition Langes have appreciated, but that rarely happens. The Saxonia Thin and the 1815 Up/Down are standard-production models that are unlikely to appreciate. If you buy one preowned for a fair price, then you likely won't lose money, and the watch may slowly appreciate (but not enough for it to matter). I'd look at the lugs carefully, to be sure the bevels are crisp (unpolished). Other cosmetic damage doesn't matter as much because Lange can make the watch good as new (by laser-filling dents/dings, etc.). Also, if you get a preowned Lange in platinum, always check the buckle to make sure it's actually platinum and not white gold.
    drhr and DoraTheExplorerII like this.

In general Lange does not hold value well, they do however make some of the most beautiful watches on the market

Given that Glashuette fell inside the DDR, the resultant re-booted brands are all pretty new. It will take more decades to tell.

Quality-wise, I would judge Lange to be the best (I have never seen a Moritz Grossman in the flesh). Whether or not that matters, I don't know.

I personally feel buying preowned is the way to go for Lange. The original owner would have absorbed most of the depreciation already.
    Watch129025 and jsohal like this.
    Present: Montblanc Villeret 1858 Vintage Pulsographe/ Gronefeld 1941 Principia/ FP Journe Elegante 48 Titalyt/ Rolex Submariner 114060/ Kurono Tokyo “Eggshell”/ Casio G-Shock GW5000-1JF

Grails
    : Patek Philippe 5170G / Sarpaneva Lunations

My Instagram

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information