Entry Level Lange or Move On?
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Entry Level Lange or Move On?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Entry Level Lange or Move On?

I'm almost certain this must not be a unique thought/dilemma, but here goes. I am looking to celebrate a life event and am faced with the prospect of picking up an entry level Lange in the form of either a Saxonia manual wind 35mm or a Saxonia Thin 37mm in WG. I am leaning 35mm at the moment as I have owned a few 35mm Nomos in the past and love that size with a thin bezel, and I think the Thin may be a bit too minimal for how it would be worn...? Not sure yet.

I am going around and around in my mind, though, wondering if it even makes sense to drop serious coin sufficient to just barely sniff the Lange line. Sure the Saxonia are beautiful watches with pedigree. I would be thrilled with the watch in a vacuum, I think, but wondering if I would regret it eventually because perhaps a "proper" Lange is something at the level of, e.g., an 1815 Up/Down and higher.

Do these thoughts make sense? I think perhaps I am being self-conscious about getting into an "entry level" of anything, compounded by the fact that it is not a small purchase. It is sooo tempting to dip into the world of Lange, though.

For those of you Lange owners and admirers, what do you think?

P.S. On a smaller scale, I wonder if this same issue exists with say a Rolex Oyster Perpetual. You get into one for a relatively low price, but eventually would one wish it was a Datejust, Explorer, Sub, etc.? Just another way of framing my observation/question.

Re: Entry Level Lange or Move On?

I've had this exact stream of thoughts before! Pretty funny, actually. I hope my conclusion helps you.

All Langes undergo the same level of finishing, attention to detail, and craftsmanship. That, alone, makes them my favorite brand. An 'entry level' Lange is still the best of the best, IMPO.

I concluded that as long as it meets your needs/desires, it doesn't matter. I was able to confirm this with the same Rolex analogy as well, actually. In fact, I'm living it: I have a Datejust 41, but still want an OP39. No matter which I purchased first, I would still want both watches.

I face this exact problem with an 1815 vs. an 1815 Chronograph. I'm comfortable knowing that buying either one will make me happy, but I will always want both. Considering the chronograph is out of my budget though, I will likely go with the 'standard' first.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
    rts9364 likes this.

Get a 34mm Rolex OP in any configuration...tough as nails...accurate..beautiful..solid durable movement..
    If you have to get the Lange get it....but..are you really going to actually make it a daily..or just an opera watch..
    It's your dough...you decide..
    My 34mm..
    Name:  Rolex edit #2.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  176.1 KB
    Last edited by EDL77; February 7th, 2019 at 23:54. Reason: add pic
    rts9364 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The Lange would not be anything close to a daily. I would be looking to step into elite watchmaking and it would be a crown jewel of a collection. I have several other watches. To be clear, there is nothing practical about buying a Lange.

Thanks for the input so far.

Quote Originally Posted by rts9364 View Post
    I am going around and around in my mind, though, wondering if it even makes sense to drop serious coin sufficient to just barely sniff the Lange line. Sure the Saxonia are beautiful watches with pedigree. I would be thrilled with the watch in a vacuum, I think, but wondering if I would regret it eventually because perhaps a "proper" Lange is something at the level of, e.g., an 1815 Up/Down and higher.
    RTS -- Every Lange is a proper Lange. That's part of what is so great about them. They are all finished with the same exquisite attention to detail. I think you would take great pride of ownership whether an time-only Saxonia or an 1815 U/D. The Saxonia Thin is an incredible value, relatively speaking, and a very fine timepiece. If it makes you feel any better, I have a Lange 1 Moonphase and a Zietwerk, and I'm considering purchasing a WG Saxonia Thin or perhaps a the grey WG Boutique Edition myself, for occasions when I want to attract less attention. The bottom line is, the Saxonia is a very worthy timepiece, and a grail for many for good reason.

Now, what I will say is I think you should get a timepiece you love. Only buy the Saxonia Thin if you truly love it. I wouldn't buy it if you were settling, or if it is simply the only Lange you can afford. If you have your heart set on an 1815 because you prefer the way it looks, I might suggest you consider purchasing one second hand. The older 36mm 1815 time-only can be had for $10-12K. European Watch has one for $10,900 in yellow gold now, but if you keep your eyes peeled a WG one is sure to appear before too long. I believe I've seen the older 36mm 1815 U/D's go for around $17,500 or so. If you like the way the 35mm Saxonia wears, I suspect you'll actually like the older 1815s better than the current 39mm U/D anyway. I know I prefer the 36mm U/D to the newer one.
    rts9364, CFR, whatsarolex and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wintershade View Post
    Now, what I will say is I think you should get a timepiece you love. Only buy the Saxonia Thin if you truly love it. I wouldn't buy it if you were settling, or if it is simply the only Lange you can afford.
    This hits on exactly what is giving me pause. The price definitely makes the Saxonia and Saxonia Thin appealing. I do need to make sure the love is real. Just wondering what others thought about this scenario since I think these two watches let a lot of people think about owning a Lange that couldn't previously afford to do so.

If you like the way the 35mm Saxonia wears, I suspect you'll actually like the older 1815s better than the current 39mm U/D anyway. I know I prefer the 36mm U/D to the newer one.
    I agree. The larger cases aren't for me for this type of watch. Deciding between a newish 35mm Saxonia and an older 36mm 1815 time only would be tough.

Please delete
    Last edited by rts9364; February 8th, 2019 at 03:45. Reason: Double post

CFR

Now, what I will say is I think you should get a timepiece you love. Only buy the Saxonia Thin if you truly love it. I wouldn't buy it if you were settling, or if it is simply the only Lange you can afford. If you have your heart set on an 1815 because you prefer the way it looks, I might suggest you consider purchasing one second hand. The older 36mm 1815 time-only can be had for $10-12K. European Watch has one for $10,900 in yellow gold now, but if you keep your eyes peeled a WG one is sure to appear before too long. I believe I've seen the older 36mm 1815 U/D's go for around $17,500 or so. If you like the way the 35mm Saxonia wears, I suspect you'll actually like the older 1815s better than the current 39mm U/D anyway. I know I prefer the 36mm U/D to the newer one.
    THIS. Concur with all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by rts9364 View Post
    This hits on exactly what is giving me pause. The price definitely makes the Saxonia and Saxonia Thin appealing. I do need to make sure the love is real. Just wondering what others thought about this scenario since I think these two watches let a lot of people think about owning a Lange that couldn't previously afford to do so. I agree. The larger cases aren't for me for this type of watch. Deciding between a newish 35mm Saxonia and an older 36mm 1815 time only would be tough.
    I'm very partial to the older 36mm 1815s. Two true classics are the original 36mm platinum 1815s with silver dials, either the time-only one (206.025) or the Up/Down (226.025). The silver dials on those 1815s have a different (and IMHO preferable) look vs. the rhodium dials that we typically see on platinum Langes. Personally I'd take one of those old 1815s over a new Saxonia any day (and for about the same price), though of course the new Saxonias are nice in their own right. I'm also a huge yellow gold fan, and the 206.021 model -- which is about as classic-looking as one can imagine -- has always been super cheap preowned because nobody (except weirdos like me) wants them (YG + 36mm).

[I visited the Lange factory several years ago and had lunch with a now-retired customer service person who used to help me a lot. She was wearing an early 206.025 with a bezel that was completely dull from daily wear -- filled with small scratches/scuffs. I kept staring at her watch and asked her to take it off and show it to me at one point. It was spectacular. "Less is more," in this case.]

Also, a comment on the "entry-level" Lange notion: To a Tourbograph owner, a Datograph would be considered an entry-level Lange. It's all relative. And as others have said, Lange's finishing on even the least costly model is top-notch. Buying what you love and avoiding what gives you pause is key (e.g., I could never own any analog watch that lacks a second hand, so the Saxonia Thin would be a non-starter for me).
    Last edited by CFR; February 8th, 2019 at 06:40.
    Mchu004 likes this.

There is no such thing as an entry-level Lange.

In terms of pricing, yes, but a Lange is a Lange, which means that it is extraordinary.

You shall be more than happy with either of those two that you mentioned.
    galtuk likes this.
    Dan.
    A. Lange & Sohne 1815 Up/Down
    H. Moser & Cie Pioneer Centre Seconds
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Tribute Small Seconds
    Officine Panerai Radiomir PAM 720
    Rolex Submariner 114060 (No Date)
    Cartier Santos WSSA0010
    Apple Watch Series 4 Nike+
    Seiko SKX007
    Seiko SKX009
    Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400-1
    Casio G-Shock GA-700
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600E
    And others (not really worth mentioning)

Got a RG 1815 as my first Lange and I absolutely love the watch. Only problem is, once you have one you'll want to buy another!
    Reeser1 and galtuk like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information