Lange 1815
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Lange 1815

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lange 1815

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker in the Lange subforum. Always love their watches and the craftmanship.

I'm considering getting a Lange 1815 for my next watch; I have not decided between the up/down or the plain 1815.

I had the chance to try on the current model of the 1815 (both the u/d and the standard), and was wondering if anyone has handled the older version (36mm). How does the size and wearability compares to the current size of 38+mm.

A follow up question to that, would anyone mind sharing a reliable pre-owned Lange dealer to me, PM is fine.

JJ

Comparing the two current models... The price premium on the up and down is pretty hefty, so if you don’t have a strong preference I would just go with the regular 1815. As it happens, I have a very strong preference for the extra visual interest of the two sub dials, so I went with the up and down. The current up and down also has a little more visual appeal when viewed from the back. They exposed the winding train, and I think there are a couple more jewels in chatons.

I never tried the 36mm versions so can’t give you a comparison there. How large is your wrist?

Re: Lange 1815

Up/Downs are $$ but the complication is iconic and it still allows for a balanced dial. As for the older 36mm, it wears perfectly on smaller wrists but can also be a nice vintage look for people with larger wrists as well. You get a lot of dial on these watches so even a 36mm wouldn't look too puny.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've had both older and newer versions of the 1815 and 1815 U/D. My wrist is 6.5 inches around, flat on top. The 36mm models are/were just fine for me . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images

MZhammer likes this.
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

I prefer the slightly larger version but this will really depend on your wrist size. As far as dealers go, there are lots that carry Lange - where are you located?
    A. Lange & Sohne - Lange 1 101.031
    IWC - Ingenieur 3239-04
    Casio - G-Shock
    Omega - Seamaster 1976 Day-Date
    Audemars Piguet - Royal Oak 25572ST.OO.0789ST

I prefer the older 36mm because I prefer the dial design which does not “chop off” the tops of the 7 and 5. It just looks cleaner. The size of both are perfectly wearable for most.

I have a preference for larger watches and tried my neighbor's 36mm 1815. It wasn't too terrible, but I think I'd rather just get the larger versions personally. However, if you don't mind smaller watches then it's does indeed look good on most wrists.

I have the 39mm U/D. I also looked at the regular 1815. At the end of the day, I wanted a 'sportier' watch that would be easy to wear most days on a medium or dark brown strap. For me, the larger case size and two subdials with numerals won in this regard. Also, I decided that I didn't want a manual wind without a power reserve. ALS knows that there will be people like me that decide they must have a power reserve, and they surely make you pay for it.

I have a 6.25" flat wrist. Any qualms about the watch being "too big" are solved by the narrow, downward sloping lugs. They really are something else.

I bought my RG 1815 awhile back in 40mm. I put in some serious consideration to the u/d, but I thought the price premium wasn't worth it.

Can't go wrong with either though.

Name:  66954275_667768870364825_2536610165191122786_n.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  122.9 KB
    Take a walk outside your head.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information