Lange Sports Watch? - Page 15
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Lange Sports Watch?

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Re: Lange Sports Watch?

Quote Originally Posted by wintershade View Post
    I'm underwhelmed. My AD was holding a watch for me, and I called him yesterday to tell him to offer the watch to someone else.

High level my opinions are quite negative:
    -1) The watch just doesn't feel very inspired. I was hoping for something bold and daring like the Lange 1 and Zeitwerk, something with potential to become a Lange icon. I would have liked to see an imaginative case shape with a unique bracelet that mirrors the design language of the case. Instead we got a variation of a Saxonia Automatic with a ho-hum bracelet (reminded me of the Raymond Weil Tango I got at my Bar Mitzfah).
    -2) Too dressy to be a sport watch, but the pseudo-integrated bracelet make it too sporty to be a dress watch.
    -3) I don't like the bracelet. The longer I look at it, the less I like it. In fact, I'm quite certain if I bought this watch I'd put it on a chestnut brown or navy calfskin strap with white contrast stitching. But I'd sooner buy a black-dial Saxonia Big Date and put it on a black Nato than buy this watch. (Side note, I actually think the latter would look pretty decent).

There are a few thinks I like:
    +1) It does look like a Lange. It fits well within the lineup of the brand. I just would have liked it to push the boundaries much much more.
    +2) I bet expect the chamfered edged of the bracelet look great. And I like the contrast of brushed and polished details of the pushers.
    +3) The symmetry of the dial is kind of nice. Though the big day of week does seem to be "screaming at you" as one other poster said

I considered just buying the watch and hoping it would "grow on me" and speculating that it would be cool to own one of the earliest case numbers of a future icon. Maybe if this first run would have been a limited edition, I'd have bought one for that reason. But then I realized, there are plenty of other watches that I want passionately, and rarely do watches grow on me. Sure, I have watches that I've come to appreciate more and more after years of wear, but I always "had to have it" from the start. And secondly, I just don't see this becoming any sort of icon. It's just not interesting enough.

I don't see this watch doing especially well. It's not really clear to me who it appeals to. I guess people who want a finely finished "luxury sport" watch but want something less flashy than a AP, can't get/afford a Nautulus, and don't like the Overseas. While the Lange finishing is better, the Overseas definitely has more personality and is better priced. That'a a small niche. I don't see this watch performing well on the secondary market.
    When you see a glass half full, do you...

In all seriousness though, the claim that they were holding the watch for you is unlikely. The first hundred have already been spoken for and that’s all that’s being released over the next ten months. Nice try though ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RobbyCC likes this.

My AD told me I would have the first watch he received, if I wanted it, a couple months ago when rumors that Lange would be releasing a steel sport watch were confirmed. He called me when it was released to let me know the price and asked if I wanted the first watch he received. I said no thanks. I haven’t seen it in the metal, nor do I need to see it to make that decision.

It will be interesting to see how they evolve the Odysseus line, but the initial watch I don’t particularly care for.

Quote Originally Posted by Watcheroo View Post
    When you see a glass half full, do you...

In all seriousness though, the claim that they were holding the watch for you is unlikely. The first hundred have already been spoken for and that’s all that’s being released over the next ten months. Nice try though ;)

Do you have a source for this ?
    Only 100 worldwide in 10 months will probably mean there are Lange dealers that won’t receive one at all.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Marker View Post
    Do you have a source for this ?
    Only 100 worldwide in 10 months will probably mean there are Lange dealers that won’t receive one at all.
    Yes, a Lange boutique manager told me this. These have all been allocated already to known boutique clients and Lange collectors.

RobbyCC likes this.

My AD told me I would have the first watch he received, if I wanted it, a couple months ago when rumors that Lange would be releasing a steel sport watch were confirmed. He called me when it was released to let me know the price and asked if I wanted the first watch he received. I said no thanks. I haven’t seen it in the metal, nor do I need to see it to make that decision.

It will be interesting to see how they evolve the Odysseus line, but the initial watch I don’t particularly care for.
    Wait. So all of that critique and you haven’t even seen the watch in the metal yet? Come on man.

I challenge you to ask your AD to get you one. Let us know what excuse he gives you when he can’t.

RobbyCC likes this.

At this point I know they’re all spoken for, and I don’t want one. A friend put down a deposit with the same AD and was told 9-12 months and that he’s 3rd on the list.

Edit to add: Also, I believe my AD is one of the larger US ADs. And apparently my friend said the AD was a bit more vague than usual with timing estimates... to the extent that is helpful for others who want to try to get one of these.
    Last edited by wintershade; 1 Week Ago at 06:16.

CFR

Quote Originally Posted by xherion View Post
    Oh it is fully functional, its a real unit with the display caseback and fully decorated movement.
    Saw the Odysseus Datomatic in person today. Below are pics of it on my wrist (6"/154mm circumference). As expected, I liked it more in person than in the photos. Will I buy one? Nope, but I also knew that in advance because a steel Lange sports watch wasn't really of interest to me unless its design totally blew me away. It'll be interesting to see what Lange uses those pushers for in the future. I wonder if an Odysseus Chronograph will come next.

Regarding delivery in the US: The first Odysseus Datomatic pieces are scheduled to arrive (at boutiques) this month, but initially there will be very few of them -- fewer than you can count on both hands -- due to limited production capacity. So at least some boutiques will sell a piece or two this year, and ADs will start to receive them in 2020.

Name:  IMG_0003.JPG
Views: 36
Size:  101.7 KBName:  IMG_0004.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  78.3 KBName:  IMG_0005.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  74.7 KBName:  IMG_0006.JPG
Views: 44
Size:  69.8 KB
    Last edited by CFR; 1 Week Ago at 14:50.
    mleok, kak1154 and omeglycine like this.

Looks better on the wrist than it does in the catalogue shots . Thank you for posting

At this point I know they’re all spoken for, and I don’t want one. A friend put down a deposit with the same AD and was told 9-12 months and that he’s 3rd on the list.

Edit to add: Also, I believe my AD is one of the larger US ADs. And apparently my friend said the AD was a bit more vague than usual with timing estimates... to the extent that is helpful for others who want to try to get one of these.
    I’m in your area, so what AD is this? There aren’t any Boutiques around here, so I’d be surprised if any ADs here were getting even a single watch in the next year, hence the vague predictions. Easy to promise the first, second, and third watches to customers, but it’s much harder to deliver them.

CFR

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyCC View Post
    There aren’t any Boutiques around here, so I’d be surprised if any ADs here were getting even a single watch in the next year, hence the vague predictions.
    I spoke to some Lange employees/execs (not salespeople) about this a few days ago. Sometimes it takes awhile for Lange to release more accurate delivery info. I was told that the very first Odysseus Datomatics will arrive in the US in 2019 but will likely go to boutiques, not ADs. ADs in the US should start getting the Odysseus Datomatic sometime in the early part of 2020, by April 2020, though don't expect many to be delivered at first. It shouldn't take a full year for US ADs to start taking delivery, but of course, we should believe this only when we see it because delivery schedules can always change (for example, if they discover any little problem with this new movement, that'll likely delay production a bit).

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread Information