WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

5. 2013 WUS AWF SE Explorer Project - Design ***CLOSED***

58K views 444 replies 80 participants last post by  docvail 
#1 · (Edited)
The 2013 project watch will utilize an Explorer Case so please feel free to submit your ideas on this theme.

The price is US$220 (not including shipping or add-ons)

Current Watch Specification:

• 316L Stainless Steel 40mm Explorer Case (polished/brushed or a combination of both) 20mm lug width
  • 200 meter water resistance
  • Crown at 3 O'clock
  • Miyota 8215 automatic movement (White date wheel if voted for)
  • Superluminova (choice of color)
  • Custom dial, with any texture/pattern or combination of textures/patterns we choose (within reason) and applied metal indices (unless otherwise specified in the design)
  • Any hands we choose, so long as they are "stock" hands (not a design which requires new tooling)
  • Crystal - Flat sapphire (can be changed by vote)
  • Stainless Steel Bracelet with solid curved end links
  • Crown, Clasp, Caseback and Dial markings of our choosing
  • Zippered Case with Watchuseek Logo
  • 2 year warranty

Register here LINK if you haven't done so already.

All designs should utilize the specifications above and the explorer case or a render that looks very much like it.
This post will be updated as questions are asked. The committee will do it's best to respond to questions within 24 hours. If you do not receive an answer the question has most likely been answered. Please check this post first so we can reduce time spent responding.

UPDATED - 5/29/13

Thank you everyone for your input so far. At this time we are requesting that no more dial designs be posted or submitted. We are in the process now of organizing the next steps.
Thanks again for your efforts in the design thus far.

****DIAL DESIGN SUBMISSIONS CLOSED****

1Q. What is the diameter of dial (as ochong asked)? (We need this if we are going to source "stock" hands for our design - can't use hands that are too short or too long).
1A. 33.5mm

2Q. What are the sizes of the hand posts on the Miyota 8215 according to Fred Bernhardt (i.e., what size is the minute hand on the Binnacle Anchor)? This may seem like a dumb question, but just ask Citizen V and you'll know that it ain't. (Again, we need this if we are going to source "stock" hands for our design).
2A. Fred is the watchmaker, he'll worry about it.

3Q. What are our color choices for the Superluminova? Can this be applied to just the hands, or to the hands and the dial?
3A. Current assumption is that you can pick from the chart. Lume on hands and indices.

Text Plot Line Diagram Parallel

4Q. Clarification: I assume "white date wheel if voted for" means "white date wheel if date window voted for"?
4A. Correct. The date wheel is white with black numbers. We will vote on whether the watch will include a date window so designs could be presented with either option if desired.

5. Can we do date window at 6:00 (requires a different date wheel), or are we locked into 3:00 or 4:30?
5A. Date location options: 3:00, 4:00, 4:30 nothing else.

6Q. OK so it has been stated that all 200 watches are going to be the same. My question is will all 200 dials be the same?
6A. All 200 dials will be the same.

7Q. Will the AWF Forum watch have the Bernhardt logo on the dial?
7A. The Bernhardt logo is not a design requirement.

8. Drilled lugs with screw-bar-tubes are also an option if we want them.

Thank you,
Your 2013 Project Committee

Watch Mirror Analog watch Fashion accessory Material property

Analog watch Watch Fashion accessory Silver Ring

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: 5. 2013 WUS AWF SE Explorer Project - Design

Thanks, theague!

Okay, some details we need:

1. What is the diameter of dial (as ochong asked)? (We need this if we are going to source "stock" hands for our design - can't use hands that are too short or too long).

2. What are the sizes of the hand posts on the Miyota 8215 according to Fred Bernhardt (i.e., what size is the minute hand on the Binnacle Anchor)? This may seem like a dumb question, but just ask Citizen V and you'll know that it ain't. (Again, we need this if we are going to source "stock" hands for our design).

3. What are our color choices for the Superluminova? Can this be applied to just the hands, or to the hands and the dial?

4. Clarification: I assume "white date wheel if voted for" means "white date wheel if date window voted for"?

5. Can we do date window at 6:00 (requires a different date wheel), or are we locked into 3:00 or 4:30?

Thanks again!!!

#6 · (Edited)

OK so it has been stated that all 200 watches are going to be the same. My question is will all 200 dials be the same? Is the option open of doing the same watch with two dial colors available as long as the hands/indices etc are the same? I'm asking only to help this project to appeal to as many people as possible. I know the current Chinese project has two dial colors (with a possible third that may become available) while maintaining the same look/case/movement and they also provided two options for the second hands. I'm the last guy that wants to start a wave of people being picky and wanting 100 variations so please let me know if this is out of the question.

Any who as for my suggestions...I apologize but I have no skills at "rendering" mock ups. I will say though that I liked the Explorer and Aqua Terra homage mock ups that were posted in the voting thread (hopefully those people will re-post their renderings in the appropriate thread now that it is open).

Things I would like to see:
--texture to the dial (sunburst, waves, checkerboard, lines), just something that makes it pop from different angles
--lume at all the hour marks and on at least the hour/minute hands (I can go either way on seconds lume)
--really indifferent on date so I'll leave this to people who really care
--a second hand that isn't just a stick (a pointer, a meatball, just have something at the end)

That is all that is on my mind currently.

#7 · (Edited)

I've always like the bernhardt binnacle anchor's second hand. It's an ANCHOR! Can we get one of those (mr bernhardt may have lots of extra ones)? Actually the things I would like to see:

1. Case without the shroud covering over the empty space between the lugs (prefer it to be like most watch case)

2. Case finish all brushed except for maybe the bezel

3. Bracelet to be all brushed

4.if we are going with an explorer dial, I prefer the old 1016 explorer style numbers over the newer boxy number

thats all for now.

#8 ·

I've always like the bernhardt binnacle anchor's second hand. It's an ANCHOR! Can we get one of those (mr bernhardt may have lots of extra ones)? Actually the things I would like to see:

1. Case without the shroud covering over the empty space between the lugs (prefer it to be like most watch case)

2. Case finish all brushed except for maybe the bezel

3. Bracelet to be all brushed

4.if we are going with an explorer dial, I prefer the old 1016 explorer style numbers over the newer boxy number

thats all for now.
Agree with all this and IRBilldozer. Having a Binnacle Anchor, and having bought one for a relative, I had my relative's Binnacle bracelet completely brushed, and it looks fantastic. I wish I had my Binnacle anchor bracelet completely brushed after seeing his.

In terms of the date, it seems a waste to not have it if the complication is there. Plus, the Binnacle Anchor already doesn't have a date, so this watch would be distinct from the Binnacle Anchor in that aspect.

-Dioptric

#11 ·

I'd love to see the following :

- all brushed metal (case, bezel, bracelet)
- dial and hand design similar to Halios Tropik B, with pronounced applied indices
http://halioswatches.com/watches/tropik-b/

A matte or sunburst dial would be great. Or perhaps a textured dial as suggested above.

Reactions: mopmop77
#13 ·

Don't forget folks, we're only a day or two from our next important vote. And we'll only be able to count the votes of those of us who have registered themselves on the following thread:

2013 Affordable Watches / F71 Project Registration Thread

You want your voice to be heard, right? :)

Ric, *not* on behalf of the AWF Project Committee

#15 ·

Maybe the first design vote should be the big picture: whether to make an homage or something unique. If it's just gonna be a poor man's Explorer or AquaTerra, personally I'll be bowing out. If it's going to be something unique, then I'm in.

#16 ·

Maybe the first design vote should be the big picture: whether to make an homage or something unique. If it's just gonna be a poor man's Explorer or AquaTerra, personally I'll be bowing out. If it's going to be something unique, then I'm in.
Good point, HandWindAuto. Personally, I'd love an Aqua-Terra homage, but would be up for something unique as well.

There's lots of Explorer and Sub homages out there, but I have not seen many quality (i.e. sapphire crystal, screw-down crown, 200m water resistance, etc.) Aqua Terra homages out there. The Seiko SARBs are about the closest, and they are not 'quite' it.

Check out Bernhardt's black Field Officer watch. I have this, and compared it directly to an XL Omega Railmaster at an AD several months ago. It holds up very well against the Railmaster, and is a quality mechanical watch. I think Fred could make a lovely AT homage, but still keep his own 'signature' and uniqueness on it.

-Dioptic

#23 · (Edited)

Does anyone know how to attach a non-image file to a post? I have a layered image file that corresponds to the measurements of our case. I figured people might like to play around with it, but it seems like WUS won't let me attach an .xcf since it doesn't recognize it as a picture.

Barring that, if anyone wants it PM me. I can send it as other file types if you use Photoshop or something.

EDIT:

I forgot to include an image of it. I was going for a combination of the sweet charcoal & crimson waffle that I think om-4 did earlier and the Tudor Heritage Chrono.

Alas, without the chrono to fill it in at 9 & 3, it looks entirely too much like Spiderman. Back to the drawing board!

Watch Emblem Silver Logo Fashion accessory

#24 ·

Does anyone know how to attach a non-image file to a post? I have a layered image file that corresponds to the measurements of our case. I figured people might like to play around with it, but it seems like WUS won't let me attach an .xcf since it doesn't recognize it as a picture.

Barring that, if anyone wants it PM me. I can send it as other file types if you use Photoshop or something.

EDIT:

I forgot to include an image of it. I was going for a combination of the sweet charcoal & crimson waffle that I think om-4 did earlier and the Tudor Heritage Chrono.

Alas, without the chrono to fill it in at 9 & 3, it looks entirely too much like Spiderman. Back to the drawing board!

View attachment 1089465
Couldn't you place a date wheel where the 3 is, and maybe the WUS logo by the 9 to fill in the 'eyes' of the Spiderman dial?

#27 · (Edited)

Just throwing ideas out.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

#31 ·

this is my newest one
View attachment 1089657

ps: i dont mind taking request,
this is where i'm a jerk : i don't really want to work on something i don't think looks good, but if i like your idea, i will try to do it :D
Wow, that is nice, R-Oak! Just for comparison's sake, could you 1) replace the black Anchor seconds hand with a red-tipped lumed arrowhead seconds hand, and 2) move the date to 3 o'clock (just in case the movement only allows a 3 o'clock position for the date and crown)?

#34 ·

Here's some other ideas for our Photoshop experts to play with:

View attachment 1089733
Image credit: HaleL
-Dioptric
I'm in love with the idea of a textured white dial with blue hands. If I could photoshop, I'd be working off of that template like a madman >_<

#33 ·

What I would like to see? Something along the lines of the Glycine Airman SST maybe, but a bit less busy (12h presumably for starters). I like the look, but the double rings of numbers don't make that much sense to me.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

My preference would be no date, but 3:00 or 6:00 if there is one. And I like the idea of some texture on the dial.

#40 ·

Just re-posting one of my favourites from the early brainstorming thread (thanks to om-4)

I particularly like the font.. 'F Seventy One'

That F71 font is a keeper! If not on the dial, it could also be on the caseback. The Watchuseek "W" would work well on the crown.

In a prior thread I suggested having Fred Amos' signature somewhere (dial, caseback) if he's up for it. Here's his signature:

Text Font Calligraphy

-Dioptric

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.