02. 2014 Project kick-off
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: 02. 2014 Project kick-off

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

02. 2014 Project kick-off

Hello all,

Now that the 2013 ST5 project is concluded, the committee feels that it's time to initiate the 2014 project. In the background we have already been discussing options and contacting different suppliers to see what is feasible and what is not. Apart from technical possibilities, we also have been looking at organisational issues. Our projects are getting bigger and bigger, and so is the amount of money associated with it. As none of us are in the watch business professionally, and we do not make money out of these projects, we felt it was time to look at the rules for each project to minimize the risks involved. We have drafted a document that after final review will be posted here explaining the rules and conditions under which everyone can participate.

At the moment we have four options available. I've included some pictures to give an impression of the style. Exact shapes, colors patterns, etc. all have yet to be determined.

a - square/tank watch with small seconds using ST16
    Name:  square1.png
Views: 2095
Size:  61.2 KBName:  square2.png
Views: 2097
Size:  58.5 KBName:  square.png
Views: 2092
Size:  29.5 KBName:  square3.png
Views: 2094
Size:  62.2 KBName:  square4.png
Views: 2088
Size:  43.1 KB

b -
    world time using ST16

Name:  worldtimer1.png
Views: 2089
Size:  86.1 KBName:  worldtimer2.png
Views: 2079
Size:  48.9 KB

c - GMT using ST16

Name:  gmt1.png
Views: 2073
Size:  64.8 KBName:  gmt2.png
Views: 2068
Size:  33.2 KBName:  gmt3.png
Views: 2085
Size:  29.8 KB

d - Chrono using ST19

Name:  chrono1.png
Views: 2070
Size:  43.5 KBName:  chrono2.png
Views: 2090
Size:  149.4 KB

One big consideration is minimum order quantity and price. For all types, we need to sell 200 pieces, where the price for the first three options will be between us$200 and us$250. For the chrono the price will be around $350-$450.
    We know a lot of people are very enthusiastic about the suggested chronos in the concept discussions thread. Considering the total project price, 200 watches of $400 will make this an $80.000 project, we need to be sure that we get enough participation to get all watches will be sold. There is a lot of competition from cheaper ST19 chronos, which will make it difficult to get enough members to join. In order to go ahead with a Chrono project we probably will be asking a 50% deposit from the start which only will be refunded in case the project is cancelled. .

We would welcome any input on these suggestions. After we know the general opinion, we will proceed to making a style vote.

Best regards,

Martin
    on behalf of the committee

Last edited by Chascomm; February 26th, 2014 at 07:59. Reason: pics

re: 02. 2014 Project kick-off

Great news!!!!
    It seems that the links are broken (I can't see the pictures in the PC/iPad/iPhone)
    Anyway, my vote(s) go for World Time (or GMT) watch(es)...
    Grand Seiko Springdrive GMT SBGE001 / Omega Speedmaster Professional / Nomos Orion 35 / MKII Key West GMT / Watchuseek Tourbillon 2012
    For Sale: Omega Speedmaster Automatic (AKA Reduced) / Stowa Flieger Baumuster B / Loewe Quartz Date

I cannot see pictures as well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wow, I'm a bit disappointed with those options. After all the great discussions and suggestions that were made the only options are pretty much widely available at the moment, and most watches would use the lower grade ST16 which IMHO is quite a step down from the movements we used in past projects especially considering the estimated prices. The chrono could be good, but would most likely be priced out of my current range. I hope the project can still amaze me further on, but I'm underwhelmed by the choices that are given here. Just my opinion of course, not dissing the committee for what was undoubtedly hard work.
    Lover of watches from all around the globe.

The pictures seems to be direct links to certain email attachments, which is only viewable by the email account owner?

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Martin, I think you'll need to save those pictures to an image hosting service before you can link them into your post so we can see them.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

World time or GMT works well for me.

Don't need another ST19 and don't want a square/tonneau
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

A GMT definitely!!! (if it is a true one) with WR 100. Stop making another dress watch as all the other projects. So I vote GMT.
    Second will be chrono
    Now: Alpha Tank Jump Hour; Unknown Orient Chronograph; TI eZ430-Chronos; Swiss Military Tank; Seagull 1963 Air Force Chronograph (re-issue);
    Magrette Regattare Bronze (#77); Steinhart Marine Chronometer II Roman; WUS Chinese Moonphase (#107) ; OKEAH Final Edition HdR (#207); Glycine Airman Base 22 GMT Bi Color
    Future: Omega Speedmaster Professional

I'd be in for a GMT or chrono. No square/tonneau for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin_B View Post
    Hello all,

Now that the 2013 ST5 project is concluded, the committee feels that it's time to initiate the 2014 project. In the background we have already been discussing options and contacting different suppliers to see what is feasible and what is not. Apart from technical possibilities, we also have been looking at organisational issues. Our projects are getting bigger and bigger, and so is the amount of money associated with it. As none of us are in the watch business professionally, and we do not make money out of these projects, we felt it was time to look at the rules for each project to minimize the risks involved. We have drafted a document that after final review will be posted here explaining the rules and conditions under which everyone can participate.

At the moment we have four options available. I've included some pictures to give an impression of the style. Exact shapes, colors patterns, etc. all have yet to be determined.

a - square/tank watch with small seconds using ST16

b -
    world time using ST16

c - GMT using ST16

d - Chrono using ST19

One big consideration is minimum order quantity and price. For all types, we need to sell 200 pieces, where the price for the first three options will be between us$200 and us$250. For the chrono the price will be around $350-$450.
    We know a lot of people are very enthusiastic about the suggested chronos in the concept discussions thread. Considering the total project price, 200 watches of $400 will make this an $80.000 project, we need to be sure that we get enough participation to get all watches will be sold. There is a lot of competition from cheaper ST19 chronos, which will make it difficult to get enough members to join. In order to go ahead with a Chrono project we probably will be asking a 50% deposit from the start which only will be refunded in case the project is cancelled. .

We would welcome any input on these suggestions. After we know the general opinion, we will proceed to making a style vote.

Best regards,

Martin
    on behalf of the committee

is there any chance to see the pictures?
    would help to decide anyway sounds good

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information