09. GMT movement announcement
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: 09. GMT movement announcement

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

09. GMT movement announcement

We mentioned the use of the Sea-Gull ST16 movement for our 2014 GMT project watch, but we are afraid it is no longer available. Thomas has received news of the phasing out of 30+ movements with complications from mainstream Chinese manufacturers, including the ST16 GMT variation.

After much discussion with Thomas and his contacts we have decided to use the Dixmont-Guangzhou DG3804B (with independent, adjustable GMT hand) as an alternative. His contacts say this movement is reliable, accurate and stable.

The initial pricing of USD200-250 should not be affected by this change, even though the DG3804B costs slightly more than the ST16 variant.

Re: 09. GMT movement announcement

Great stuff.
    Now on with more design decisions!!
    Citizen; Seiko; Casio; Rotary; Tissot; Marina Militare; Vostok Europe; Armida; Steinhart; Island Watch; Fifty Four;
    Proxima; San Martin; Android; Obris Morgan; Aragon; J Springs; Sturhling Original; Komandirskie; Watchuseek Projects, x2; ...

Sounds good to me
    Current Collection:
    Seiko SARB017, Cobra de Calibre, Pobeda (Skeleton Dial), ~91 Komandirskie (Helicopter Dial), Melbourne Hawthorne, Lew & Huey White Acionna, Lew & Huey Orange Spectre, Swatch Irony

Incoming:
    Helgray GMT, HMT Badass Unicorn, Lew & Huey Legends x1, Lew & Huey Blue Cerberus, CMWF '14 GMT

Eyeballing:
    Makara Hawksbill Sea Turtle Red, Lew & Huey Legends x1, Lew & Huey Orthos Red

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sweet! now lets make the F72 Monaco GMT
    Dutchman72 and fliegerchrono like this.

hwa

okay by me!

Inactive

I've been searching for opinions on this movement:

From here

The DG3804B is a very good and reliable GMT movement that is not converted or modified, but designed to be a GMT movement from it's start. RolexAddict uses that movement in his custom 1675 builds. I have used both the DG and the ETA movements in my 6542 builds. Once completed, there is no discernible difference. You can further modify the ETA 2846 to make it work as the old gen movement did, no date quickset, no hacking, no adjustable GMT hand. But to me that makes the watch just a pain in the 6, and those non-functions are not going to fool anyone. The beauty of the DG3804B is that at around 5 years when both movements would need servicing, the ETA will cost somewhere around $200. To service the DG3804B place the movement on the bench, hit it with a hammer, and replace the movement with a brand new one for about $25.
    SRBakker, nisse, MEzz and 1 others like this.

To service the DG3804B place the movement on the bench, hit it with a hammer, and replace the movement with a brand new one for about $25.
    sounds good to me
    FrakkenPrawn likes this.

Glad to hear that it has been decided, and from the comments above it sounds like it will be a solid movement.

Am I correct to assume that the DG3804B will mean that the GMT function will be central (as opposed to being a subdial)?

Looking forward to cracking on with the design. What's the next feature to be voted on?

A quote taken from WUS member fleigher on an old thread on this forum:

"I have had this movement in two watches, it is bomb tough and very accurate if properly regulated I had one watch that kept +5sec/week, then my kid decided it would be fun to swing the pool bag about a dozen times against the sidewalk to hear the funny clunk, it was my watch. The sapphire crystal popped out, the bezel shattered, the lume pips fell off of the dial but the movement still ran fine. It had previously fallen from a 2 meter shelf to marble floor hitting so hard that the regulation bar turned to point the direction of the fall, re-regulated it ran just fine.
    The replacement watch with another dg3804 also runs great, again being a hacking mod Miyoua clone without an ETA adjusting screw just the bar it required a few weeks and a steady hand nudging back and forth to regulate down to about +8-10 sec/week as I didnt feel like digging out my watch microphone and preamp. The newer DG3804 has a much tighter GMT gearing, I dont need to set it on the GMT hour at 7-12 min before the minute hand reaches the top of the hour to account for gear slack as I did with the first watch."
    FrakkenPrawn likes this.

Name:  b-dg3804b.jpg
Views: 1447
Size:  46.2 KB I think this is it
    FrakkenPrawn likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information