Anti-glare/ AR
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By lvt
  • 1 Post By dhtjr
  • 1 Post By stuffler,mike

Thread: Anti-glare/ AR

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Member Surfrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    2,399

    Anti-glare/ AR

    Hello,

    Can someone please tell me whether the Muhle Glashutte Terrasport II has AR on both sides of the front crystal, or if it's just on the inside?

    I've searched a lot on here, on Google, and even called a couple authorized dealers. I can't find the info anywhere. Muhle's website just says it has Anti-glare treatment on the crystal but doesn't specify.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Tudor 76200 Date + Day
    JeanRichard Highlands 24004
    Ω Omega 50s SS Cal. 267
    Seiko SKX007 Mod with 171 dial
    Bulova 1956 Cal. 11 ACAC
    Waltham 70s Cal. PUW 1663s

  2. #2
    lvt
    lvt is online now
    Member lvt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    18,939

    Re: Anti-glare/ AR

    Double AR coating is not unanimously appreciated because you can scratch the crystal (not the sapphire itself but the coating on the outside).
    Surfrider likes this.
    Ball - Casio / G-shock - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Seiko - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

  3. #3
    Member Surfrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    2,399

    Re: Anti-glare/ AR

    Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    Double AR coating is not unanimously appreciated because you can scratch the crystal (not the sapphire itself but the coating on the outside).
    Exactly! That's why I ask. I'm 100% opposed to outer-AR. It basically negates the scratch-resistant properties of sapphire.
    Last edited by Surfrider; June 9th, 2015 at 05:25.
    Tudor 76200 Date + Day
    JeanRichard Highlands 24004
    Ω Omega 50s SS Cal. 267
    Seiko SKX007 Mod with 171 dial
    Bulova 1956 Cal. 11 ACAC
    Waltham 70s Cal. PUW 1663s

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,434

    Re: Anti-glare/ AR

    I sold my old Terrasport II a while ago, but at a watch function I met Thilo Muhle, and he specifically told me that Muhle only applies AR on the inside of its crystals, precisely because exterior AR is prone to smudges and scratches. That was a few years ago, but unless Muhle has changed this practice, I assume it's the same.
    Surfrider likes this.

  6. #5
    Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Hague-Amman-London-Berlin
    Posts
    52,263

    Re: Anti-glare/ AR

    Quote Originally Posted by dhtjr View Post
    I sold my old Terrasport II a while ago, but at a watch function I met Thilo Muhle, and he specifically told me that Muhle only applies AR on the inside of its crystals, precisely because exterior AR is prone to smudges and scratches. That was a few years ago, but unless Muhle has changed this practice, I assume it's the same.
    Still valid. Mühle just e-mailed me back: "wir entspiegeln unsere Uhren nur einseitig, und zwar wie Sie schon geschrieben haben auf der Innenseite.
    Dies ist eine Vorsichtsmaßnahme, damit die Entspiegelungs-Beschichtung auf der Außenseite nicht beschädigt werden kann - was bei unseren oft recht sportlich genutzten Uhren nicht unwahrscheinlich ist."

    In a nutshell: AR coating on the inside only. This is (just) done as a precaution since it is not unlikely that Mühle watches are used as tool watches or in sporty environment. Thus harm to an outer coating is banned.
    Surfrider likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike


    Instagram @mikestuffler

  7. #6
    Member Surfrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    2,399

    Re: Anti-glare/ AR

    Quote Originally Posted by dhtjr View Post
    I sold my old Terrasport II a while ago, but at a watch function I met Thilo Muhle, and he specifically told me that Muhle only applies AR on the inside of its crystals, precisely because exterior AR is prone to smudges and scratches. That was a few years ago, but unless Muhle has changed this practice, I assume it's the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Still valid. Mühle just e-mailed me back: "wir entspiegeln unsere Uhren nur einseitig, und zwar wie Sie schon geschrieben haben auf der Innenseite.
    Dies ist eine Vorsichtsmaßnahme, damit die Entspiegelungs-Beschichtung auf der Außenseite nicht beschädigt werden kann - was bei unseren oft recht sportlich genutzten Uhren nicht unwahrscheinlich ist."

    In a nutshell: AR coating on the inside only. This is (just) done as a precaution since it is not unlikely that Mühle watches are used as tool watches or in sporty environment. Thus harm to an outer coating is banned.
    Thank you both very much! I truly appreciate the time you took to reply.
    Tudor 76200 Date + Day
    JeanRichard Highlands 24004
    Ω Omega 50s SS Cal. 267
    Seiko SKX007 Mod with 171 dial
    Bulova 1956 Cal. 11 ACAC
    Waltham 70s Cal. PUW 1663s

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Breitling Anti-Glare Treatment/Scratches
      By darth in forum Breitling
      Replies: 33
      Last Post: November 20th, 2018, 15:52
    2. SOLD: Ball Engineer II Roman, Back states "Anti Glare Sapphire, Anti Magnetic"
      By Disaster in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: December 8th, 2010, 17:06
    3. Speedy pro have anti glare?
      By archangel1 in forum Omega
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: July 26th, 2009, 03:21
    4. Anti Glare is helpfull
      By bizjetkeeper in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: May 19th, 2009, 17:14
    5. Replies: 3
      Last Post: March 20th, 2008, 04:29

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •