Muhle SAR vs Sinn U1
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Muhle SAR vs Sinn U1

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Muhle SAR vs Sinn U1

I'm familiar with the U1 & was looking for a rugged every day watch that can take some abuse

Seems like these 2 have some things in common. & a few distinctive differences

I know I'm in Muhle's home court so lets try to be somewhat objective

Re: Muhle SAR vs Sinn U1

Both are great watches and I think both have a lot going for them. The main difference between the two is that one (the U1) is actually a dive watch as it has a countdown bezel. The SAR would be considered more of a highly water resistant sports watch.

The best part of the Sinn as far as I'm concerned is the fact that the case is made out of genuine German submarine steel. The look of the dial and hands is a love it or leave it type of look, and definitely screams tool watch.

The Muhle has a very distinctive look in its own right, but nowhere near as "controversial" as the U1. And while it's definitely a tool watch, it certainly doesn't scream it as loudly. The lug design is also something to be aware of with the SAR as well.

Both of these watches are icons and highly sought after (the SAR being the best selling model ever for Muhle). Having said this, my money would go for the Muhle overall. How many of us are true hardcore divers and will actually use the watch for this occasion? If you do regularly dive, I would go with the Sinn hands down, but if you're like most who are just desk divers for the most part, the high water resistance of the SAR is beyond sufficient for any real world activities (after all, that's the basis for how/why it was designed/created in the first place.) I prefer the versatile aspect of the SAR, and I think the layout of the dial is more pleasing to look at. Lastly, and maybe most importantly, is that I trust the quality of the Muhle over the Sinn. You can simply go to the Sinn forum and see the feedback straight from owners. I've never heard of any performance weakness about the SAR (or any Muhle for that matter.)

These are just my personal feelings about this comparison. I know it's going to seem like a Muhle fan in a Muhle forum, so of course he's going to say the SAR. Let's make it clear that I respect the hell out of Sinn for a lot of what they do as well. Just saying how I would weigh these two models in particular, and what I would feel the most comfortable putting my money towards. Regardless, I'm sure you will love either one you wind up getting.
    Last edited by CM HUNTER; September 23rd, 2013 at 06:02.
    STEVIE and davidtsee like this.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

The look of the SAR makes me vote for the SAR.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

In my opinion, having owned neither watch in question, BUT having owned watches from both Muhle and Sinn, I go with the Muhle SAR. Why? I think Muhle offers better overall fit/finish/detail than Sinn. Also, Sinn's lume is known to be ordinary at best, while Muhle's lume is outstanding. Lastly, that U1 is butt ugly.

New York City: "The city that never sleeps". If it got some sleep, it wouldn't look so crappy!

Quote Originally Posted by jerseywatchman View Post
    Lastly, that U1 is butt ugly.

The best watch is the one that makes you happiest... and tells the time.

In 2008 I have been looking for something to replace my favorite toolwatch (Vostok Amphibia), something bulletproof with better lume, quickset date and a scratch resistant crystal. I ended up with a SINN and the SAR side by side in my hometown`s watch store, the decision was fast and clear: I went for the SAR with steel/rubber mix bracelet.

This watch served me very well in the past 5 years, working most of the time as an aircraft technician in the sahara and middle orient deserts. This is a very uncomfortable environment for a mechanical watch . . . heat, sand, bangs, vibrations, all kind of liquids, and last but not least hours of working with a pneumatic rivet gun ... it still works like it should. Looks a bit battered now, but keeps excellent time and no signs of any fatigue.

Ok, I wish the have used a better clasp, but otherwise, close to perfection plus a really outstanding and functional design.

Name:  241274d1304271547-muehle-sar-s.a.r..jpg
Views: 3581
Size:  105.3 KB
    STEVIE likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by greyfellow View Post
    In 2008 I have been looking for something to replace my favorite toolwatch (Vostok Amphibia), something bulletproof with better lume, quickset date and a scratch resistant crystal. I ended up with a SINN and the SAR side by side in my hometown`s watch store, the decision was fast and clear: I went for the SAR with steel/rubber mix bracelet.

This watch served me very well in the past 5 years, working most of the time as an aircraft technician in the sahara and middle orient deserts. This is a very uncomfortable environment for a mechanical watch . . . heat, sand, bangs, vibrations, all kind of liquids, and last but not least hours of working with a pneumatic rivet gun ... it still works like it should. Looks a bit battered now, but keeps excellent time and no signs of any fatigue.

Ok, I wish the have used a better clasp, but otherwise, close to perfection plus a really outstanding and functional design.

Name:  241274d1304271547-muehle-sar-s.a.r..jpg
Views: 3581
Size:  105.3 KB
    How has the rubber on the bezel and bracelet held up? I figure if it has not rotted or been dinged up by your use, it will pretty much stand up to anything. Thanks.

well, around the bezel there are some small cuts, but the bracelet looks quite ok, see attached pics

Name:  IMG_0105.jpg
Views: 3157
Size:  73.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0106.jpg
Views: 3129
Size:  75.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0107.jpg
Views: 3118
Size:  94.2 KB
    jbbusybee likes this.

excellent, a well-used watch.
    jbbusybee likes this.

Great wrist shot. & nice post action shots as well Thanks for the pics. It's a handsome watch . Obviously very durable too

I don't find my U1 to be ugly at all . Actually I see it as a work of art . I was asking for comparison because I was thinking of a second U1 . Glad I did ask. I .like the SAR

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information