Board Meeting this week
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Eeeb
  • 1 Post By HOROLOGIST007

Thread: Board Meeting this week

Board Meeting this week

The NAWCC Board of Directors has an 'actually show up physically' meeting at the end of this week at the HQ in Columbia PA USA ... most meetings appear to be virtual.

I will pop in for a day and see what it is like. Ben might come too.

I am told these meetings are open to all NAWCC members (except for some executive sessions). Of course, few actually show up... Maybe I'll see some of you?!!

I'll bring 3 dozen donuts Friday morning (I figure the BOD will eat the extra dozen)... so Patti et.al, don't have a big breakfast!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Re: Board Meeting this week

The NAWCC Board of Directors meets in person twice a year-- every Summer at the NAWCC National Convention, then again in December at NAWCC HQ in Columbia, PA.

They also meet bi-monthly in electronic meetings, online.

Cheers!

Markus

Hi Jim
    If you manage to get Ben there, please show him the wristwatch "The History of the Wristwatch 1900 to Present"
    Its NOT officially open yet, I am still working with graphics.
    But by showing Ben, maybe he can understand not everyone that is not a clock or pocket watch enthusiast is a 'tosser'

I put OVER 750 hours into this!
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm off! It is an 8 hour trip which, if I leave now, will be made mostly in the light

Ben can't make it but Santa will! And I can't wait for those wonderful warm donuts made while you watch. (If you have a Fractured Prune near you, check them out!)

You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Have a safe trip, Jim. Looking forward to a report!
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

I love attending bored meetings : )

Quote Originally Posted by David Woo View Post
    I love attending bored meetings : )
    Then you would have loved this!

As I remarked to the Chair and one of the NAWCC officials, 70% of what goes on at such meetings is of no interest the attendees... But hopefully that 70% is not the same 70% for everybody!

I was there Friday. The morning was part of an ongoing strategic planning effort and it was not plain general members were able to attend. I did not mind as I had a lot of catching up to do. The afternoon was a business meeting and I stopped in for a long discussion of whale capture. (Whales are rich individuals who can donate large sums...) The Board had hired a whale trapper and they discussed the effort... being part of the krill, I found this part of my 70% LOL

There were 22 people in the Board meeting while I was there. Even though it was December in Pennsylvania, it was hot in the Board Room... especially hot for me since I was wearing a Santa Claus costume... (No pictures so it did not happen!! LOL)

Almost everybody in the room had a wristwatch on!

My purpose in attending was to 'show the flag' and let folks know that WUS is serious about helping and to actually see the Board.

It is an older Board where apparently most members are not as active in reading (or responding to...) their emails. The organization was active long before the Internet and honing your cyber skills has not traditionally been important to their interactions. These folks have known each other over the years from personal meetings at their conventions.

So showing up in person was important.

Showing up as Santa Claus was designed to make me seen non-threatening and to add a little festive edge to the event

Anyway, in regard to the NAWCC Forum on WUS, so far so good. There are no festering un reported problems... indeed, no reported problems with us at all! I got their buy in on removing the prior approval for posts (moving from the 19th Century to the 21st Century is best started one step at a time ). And it looks like we will have some 21st Century approaches to rolling out the new Wristwatch Timeline in the Museum (more on this later).

And Marcus promised to do more posting!! That should make for a more interesting forum.
    JohnF and Ben_hutcherson like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Then you would have loved this!

As I remarked to the Chair and one of the NAWCC officials, 70% of what goes on at such meetings is of no interest the attendees... But hopefully that 70% is not the same 70% for everybody!

I was there Friday. The morning was part of an ongoing strategic planning effort and it was not plain general members were able to attend. I did not mind as I had a lot of catching up to do. The afternoon was a business meeting and I stopped in for a long discussion of whale capture. (Whales are rich individuals who can donate large sums...) The Board had hired a whale trapper and they discussed the effort... being part of the krill, I found this part of my 70% LOL

There were 22 people in the Board meeting while I was there. Even though it was December in Pennsylvania, it was hot in the Board Room... especially hot for me since I was wearing a Santa Claus costume... (No pictures so it did not happen!! LOL)

Almost everybody in the room had a wristwatch on!

My purpose in attending was to 'show the flag' and let folks know that WUS is serious about helping and to actually see the Board.

It is an older Board where apparently most members are not as active in reading (or responding to...) their emails. The organization was active long before the Internet and honing your cyber skills has not traditionally been important to their interactions. These folks have known each other over the years from personal meetings at their conventions.

So showing up in person was important.

Showing up as Santa Claus was designed to make me seen non-threatening and to add a little festive edge to the event

Anyway, in regard to the NAWCC Forum on WUS, so far so good. There are no festering un reported problems... indeed, no reported problems with us at all! I got their buy in on removing the prior approval for posts (moving from the 19th Century to the 21st Century is best started one step at a time ). And it looks like we will have some 21st Century approaches to rolling out the new Wristwatch Timeline in the Museum (more on this later).

And Marcus promised to do more posting!! That should make for a more interesting forum.
    Jim, if this wasn't already the case, your place in WUS/NAWCC history is assured. This is, put simply, fantastic. Congratulations on achieving what many thought to be the impossible!!!
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Yes, Jim, I too salute you.
    Thanks and well done.
    I am interested to learn any new on the display. I am still working very actively on the graphics
    Sincerely
    Adam
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; December 8th, 2013 at 18:32.
    JohnF likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Thread Information