Help with an Illinois "Twin City"

Thread: Help with an Illinois "Twin City"

Help with an Illinois "Twin City"

Ben suggested I see if someone here may have some information about this Illinois that is a bit of a mystery to me. So far The information I have been given to try to help is...

"Here you go Fred Friederg -

"My off the cuff guess is that this maybe a co-branded watch between the Illinois Watch Company and their long time jobber S. H .Clausin which was based in the the twin cities MSP.

I will check one of their jobber catalogues to see if they sold using that private label name.

Hope that helps. Feel free to quote me.

Takes care""

and from another forum....

"I spoke with my train-loving friend. Off the top of his head his first though was that it might be related to the old Twin City railroad that ran from Minneapolis and St. Paul to St. Louis. But he also thought it could be related to some sort of "Interurban" trolly line which were common back then. Since it is from 1895 (before the "Wreck of the Ol' 97' in 1903 but after the earlier bad wreck in 1891) the fact that it is or isn't a "railroad grade" means less. But since it is a size 18 it could have still been used on a railroad and easily on an Interurban. "
    - HamiltonIllinois on vintagewatchforums.com

So we have one source saying that it may be a private label from a jobber and a railroad enthusiast saying there was a Twin City rail or possibly a trolly line with that name.

In 26 years I have never seen an Illinois "Twin City". The dial is original to the watch and this is not a private label but looks to me a named model. I did my research and found that it was made in 1895 and was part of a run of 200 watches. It is a Grade 51 Model 6 with a total production of over 36k and this is the first year of production.

That is where my research hit the wall. I can't find any mention of the "Twin City" named model online. Google and all others came up with nothing. No pictures or mentions on websites or forums. Has anyone seen one of these? Does anyone have any more production information for the "Twin City" marked movements?

Re: Help with an Illinois "Twin City"

This would probably be better posted somewhere on the NAWCC site itself... not sure where though as I am not a regular over there. (I think you can post without actually joining... but you SHOULD join if you are serious about this stuff!)
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Done :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thoth,

I have the Illinois Watch Co. Encyclopedia & Price Guide by Meggers and Ehrhardt and here is the information I found in it. First they list the watch as a grade 51, 15j, model 6 OF with a production of 14,540 units. The model 5 was a, 15j HC, with with, 13495 made. There were also a 17j OF, with 1970, and a 21j OF with 50 made. Serial numbers for the grade 51 go from 1263301 to 1672800. There is a note saying movements finished before 1900 and marked "Adjusted", would be considered railroad grade. Illinois was a big private label producer, but going through the private label names I didn't find one for "Twin City". Not that odd as I have a 16s Illinois made for a jeweler in Auburn Maine named George Wills, which is not listed either.

Note if you total all production of the various grade 51's you get 30055.

Paul
    Last edited by Bezelbub; April 23rd, 2014 at 07:50.

Thread Information