original Harwood dial and hands?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: original Harwood dial and hands?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

original Harwood dial and hands?

If someone can point VONROZEN here from FII

The hands on your watch are one of the correct styles used by John Harwood - here is mine, 100% original (in 18kt gold) you can decide if the minute hand is too long on yours:

Here is another photo of the huge variation in dials, hands and cases

Acknowledgement: Courtesy of Fortis 100years of history

Its a FANTASTIC watch, I have about 6 of them, all completely different. Now you need to find an original box!!

Great pieces ENJOY
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; August 30th, 2016 at 18:40.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Banned

Re: original Harwood dial and hands?

incredible watches, added to the list of wants! something I've always wondered about these is the hole in the dial, what is it's purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by stubvintage View Post
    incredible watches, added to the list of wants! something I've always wondered about these is the hole in the dial, what is it's purpose?
    The "hole" in the dial is a 'window' - part of this magical watch fascination.

You may have noticed there is NO crown, to set hands with?

So to set the hands you turn the bezel a few inches either way, until that window changes from silver to red, you then continue to turn bezel until the hands are correct time.
    Then you turn the bezel a few mm the other way, and that window returns to silver, and watch is in self winding mode.

Its a marvel, and a beautiful watch to wear - the no crown makes it perfect

Regards
    adam
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; September 1st, 2016 at 22:59.
    kclee likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    to set the hands you turn the bezel a few inches either way, until that window changes from silver to red, you then continue to turn bezel until the hands are correct time.
    Then you turn the bezel a few mm the other way, and that window returns to silver, and watch is in self winding mode.
    interesting, would love to see the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by David Woo View Post
    interesting, would love to see the movement.
    Your wish is my command

and
    Adam

Thank you, 007. I've never had the pleasure of seeing that brand/model of watch before. Made my day.

Pleasure. I own about 7 Harwoods, different styles or models

and
    Adam

I just picked up a ‘harwood’ type watch from the estate of Peter Knoll. There’s no brand marking on the watch anywhere and looks to be an experimental prototype piece.

Instead of the red dot on the harwood my watch has a lever. A ring with two notches between the watchcase and the watch back. You can slide this ring to set the watch and return the slide to wind the movement with the bezel.

Have you ever seen or heard of prototypes or watches that operate on the principal of Harwood?

Quote Originally Posted by Twinbarrel View Post
    I just picked up a €˜harwood€™ type watch from the estate of Peter Knoll. There€™s no brand marking on the watch anywhere and looks to be an experimental prototype piece.

Instead of the red dot on the harwood my watch has a lever. A ring with two notches between the watchcase and the watch back. You can slide this ring to set the watch and return the slide to wind the movement with the bezel.

Have you ever seen or heard of prototypes or watches that operate on the principal of Harwood?
    Yes John Harwood made prototypes, I have photos of them.
    I doubt you have one as his son had the only ones, and yours does NOT sound like a HARWOOD at all??

Photos would help.
    But I doubt you have a HARWOOD, more likely a FRANKEN piece
    Adam

and
    Adam

I did not say it was a Harwood. My watch works on the same principle as a Harwood but has no markings and while mine is vintage, it seems like it might not quite be from the same decade. I am typing this on my mobile phone and don’t know how to get some photos here but I will post some tomorrow. I’m just curious because there is nothing else out there like it. It is a piece out of the late Peter Knoll collection of timepieces. Peter Knoll lived in New York and was an avid collector of timepieces. I’m not looking for an evaluation of value but rather more information on this piece. As a collector I keep on buying interesting watches all over the world and have no desire to sell anything.

My collection is a mix between new and vintage but in particular Blancpain and Panerai... and a lot of odd curious pieces.

So I will figure out how to post some pics here tomorrow.

Rudy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information