PRITCHARD PRIZE COMPETITION STILL OPEN TO ALL HOROLOGISTS
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ben_hutcherson

Thread: PRITCHARD PRIZE COMPETITION STILL OPEN TO ALL HOROLOGISTS

PRITCHARD PRIZE COMPETITION STILL OPEN TO ALL HOROLOGISTS

Even with increasing the prize award from $1,000 to $1,500 for the Pritchard Prize for Excellence in Watch Repair and Restoration, we have only two entries with a deadline of January 31 for notice of interest, with all materials to be submitted by April 1.

The competition is funded by The Pritchard Fund, a bequest of the late Kathleen Pritchard through the estate of her husband, Wilbur L. Pritchard. Competition for the prize is open to any horologist - hobbyist or professional. The submitter does not need to be a member of the NAWCC or any other horological association.

Interested persons can find a copy of the rules at http://www.nawcc.org/images/stories/...Rules_2015.pdf.

Re: PRITCHARD PRIZE COMPETITION STILL OPEN TO ALL HOROLOGISTS

The award is lacking a "0" to gain the interest of anybody reasonably capable, considering what is requested to participate.
    It's a fine idea, but either the award has to be well worth the effort, or there is no point in making it a cash reward.

Magura

It's not about the money, if I were to submit an entry it would be done for the respect of my fellow NAWCC members and for the love of horology.

I've be considering entering for a few years now.

Many restoration projects have come across my bench, just been searching for a project worthy of entry.

I like taking on some of the most difficult projects imaginable just to see if it can be done, my specialty is WWI American Trench Watches from Elgin and Waltham.

Looks like I just missed the cut off for this year's entry notification, maybe next year then.
    Author of "Elgin Trench Watches of the Great War" & "Waltham Trench Watches of the Great War"

www.lrfantiquewatches.com

www.facebook.com/WWITrenchWatch

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Literustyfan View Post
    It's not about the money, if I were to submit an entry it would be done for the respect of my fellow NAWCC members and for the love of horology.

I've be considering entering for a few years now.

Many restoration projects have come across my bench, just been searching for a project worthy of entry.

I like taking on some of the most difficult projects imaginable just to see if it can be done, my specialty is WWI American Trench Watches from Elgin and Waltham.

Looks like I just missed the cut off for this year's entry notification, maybe next year then.
    Very true.

I have some knowledge of one of the entrants to the competition this year. He bought a rust bucket watch on Ebay that he(and a few others) "saw through the rust" and recognized it as a very low serial number(two digit) and possibly unique(feature wise) movement from a rare American maker.

He has painstakingly restored virtually every component, preserving and documenting as much as possible of the original movement and hand-making parts where preservation of the original was not possible. The whole project has revealed a lot about the early history of the company that made it, and resulted in the conservation of a watch that many people would likely have discarded.

He bought the watch and proceeded with the restoration(and documentation) of it because he is an avid collector and researcher of the company-he only submitted it for this prize on someone else's suggestion. I doubt he would have even thought of applying if it hadn't been suggested to him.

I don't know of anyone seeks out pieces to restore specifically for this competition-most of the winners I know of approached it in the same way as my friend. They started a project for the sake of starting it(whether personal satisfaction or research/preservation purposes) and applied for this award more as an afterthought than anything.

I do think it's a great award and I'm very happy that the NAWCC offers it. Recognizing great achievements in restoration(and preservation along the way) is something that shoul't be a hallmark of the NAWCC's mission.
    Literustyfan likes this.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_hutcherson View Post
    Recognizing great achievements in restoration(and preservation along the way) is something that should be a hallmark of the NAWCC's mission.
    Ben, The award for this year has been rescinded due to less than three entries. I tried to explain to them that this is an award for a job that meets the intention of the prize and not a contest among entries. They could have one entry that hit it out of the park or they could have three or four well documented piles of dung. It was disappointing that they are not going to award the prize again this year and that they are not even looking at the entries.
    Last edited by gmeyer4; February 24th, 2015 at 04:22.

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

That's a shame to hear, George. I agree that it seems counter-productive to the intent of the prize to not award it due to lack of entries.

Hopefully you'll be able to try again next year-in the mean time, keep up the good work!
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Thread Information