Southern Ohio Regional(Wilmington, OH)

Thread: Southern Ohio Regional(Wilmington, OH)

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Southern Ohio Regional(Wilmington, OH)

Is anyone planning on going?

This is the old Drawbridge show that was held in Ft. Mitchell, KY up until the Drawbridge Hotel closed in 2012. Despite the venue change, it was still a great show last year, and I'm looking forward to it this year.

The show this year will be April 10-12. I'm looking forward to going.

SOR_2014.pdf
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Re: Southern Ohio Regional(Wilmington, OH)

I will put it in my calendar! Since it is about as close as Regionals ever get, I have no excuse for not going.

The program gives on Friday these meetings:

2:00 pm British Horology #159 meeting
    3:00 pm Electrical Horology #78 meeting
    4:00 pm Cog Counters meeting
    5:00 pm Tower Clock #134 meeting

I take it these are NAWCC chapters? Is there an explanation of what they are beyond their names?

The presentation on Telechron clocks on Friday should be interesting. I grew up with these in the house. And the NAWCC Library has a bunch on display as shelf decorations. They have great variety.

Another entry for Friday has me puzzled: 1:45 pm – 2:45 pm Program/Workshop ... any idea what that is?

The facility is a nice one... the FBI used to host meetings there. Most convention centers are in cities. This is really just a freeway exit in rural Ohio. As I understand it, the owner of the trucking company at that exit built the facility... A 'if you build it, they will come' sort of thing.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Maybe we can finally have our NAWCC forum moderator get-together! Hopefully some other WUS folks will be there also.

As far as the chapter meetings go(and the workshops and lectures also)-having been on the "other end" of a regional, I can say that getting quality material for these sort of things can often be a last minute struggle. The talk titles and workshop topics will be published in the regional program available on-site. As we get closer to time, the regional chair should have that information. I will try to find it out and post it here when I can. The chapter meetings generally will have a lecture relating to their topic of interest.

As far as the location-yes indeed it is just an exit in the middle of nowhere. In most every way, it is a much nicer facility than the old Drawbridge hotel, although the Drawbridge had an atmosphere and "feel" that many of us grew to like. The Drawbridge also was ~15 minutes from a major airport, whereas Wilmington is an hour. The Drawbridge was also a 1 hour drive for me, as opposed to 2 hours for Wilmington. Even so, I think that the regional has found a good new home, but I can still grumble about the greater distance :)
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Just a reminder to everyone about this upcoming show on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

I made Friday and Ben made Friday and Saturday (and maybe the cleanup on Sunday?)

Amazing collection of watches and pocket watches and clocks. I'll post some more later.

You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I'm looking forward to seeing my fellow moderator's report and impression of his first regional.

My table partner David and I left Frankfort at about 5:00 on Friday morning, and arrived at Wilmington around 7:30. I made a couple of quick sales during set-up(before I even had price tags out) and then things settled down enough that I was able to go for a walk around the room. My first trip netted a really nice Maysville, KY Elgin private label, something that would have made the trip worthwhile in and of itself. I didn't find much else on the first pass(other than a cup of coffee and some other snacks in the hospitality room) so made it back toward the table only to find Jim(Eeeb) standing there :)

I chatted with him a little bit, then sat for a while. David and I started discussing lunch, when a big onslaught of business came and I made a few hundred dollars in sales. After this, I made another trip around the room, primarily to meet up with some friends for "show and tell." Along the way, I grabbed some Ebay fodder, a really nice Peoria non-magnetic for a bargain price, a few books, and a beauty of an 1883 model Waltham Crescent St.

I spent another hour or so dickering with someone over a sale(and showing off a bunch of watches in the process), and by that point it was time to go. We packed up at 5:00, and headed back toward Frankfort. All said and done, it was a great show for me, as this show generally is.

I did get to look at a few really great not-for-sale pieces, including a very likely unique 1872 model Waltham American Grade. 20 size Walthams were also in(relative) abundance including one with a rare if not unique dial. I briefly considered buying a pair of 20 size movements to try and make one good one out of them, but ultimately decided that I didn't need another project.

Hopefully Eeeb will post some photos, as I didn't get a chance to take any.

The phone I took the pics with has gone on a walk-about .... I am sure it will turn up soon and I'll post then.

Thread Information