Transformation in Time: The National Watch and Clock Museum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By HOROLOGIST007

Thread: Transformation in Time: The National Watch and Clock Museum

Transformation in Time: The National Watch and Clock Museum

My first visit to the National Watch and Clock Museum was in 2009. Before my visit, I had been studying horology for some time and had miraculously stumbled on a great mentor; I gained from him a little knowledge and some outstanding wristwatches. - read on here:
    Transformation in Time | nawcc/watchnews
    marks55 and Jpfahrstar like this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Re: Transformation in Time: The National Watch and Clock Museum

Thank you Adam, excellent article. Nice to see Wristwatches coming of age from a collector's standpoint. I recall
    as a young collector back in the 1970's the emphasis in Horology was primarily clocks and pocket watches.
    If you mentioned that you were a watch collector, it was automatically assumed you meant pocket watches,
    although it wasn't entirely unheard of, wristwatch collecting was not common.
    The collections in the museum I think reflected this, but with newer and younger collectors,
    I think it will be interesting to see what discoveries lie ahead, and the changes in the museum to come.
    " I like Chiken farming and old clock " --- Anon

Re: Transformation in Time: The National Watch and Clock Museum

Quote Originally Posted by marks55 View Post
    Thank you Adam, excellent article. Nice to see Wristwatches coming of age from a collector's standpoint. I recall
    as a young collector back in the 1970's the emphasis in Horology was primarily clocks and pocket watches.
    If you mentioned that you were a watch collector, it was automatically assumed you meant pocket watches,
    although it wasn't entirely unheard of, wristwatch collecting was not common.
    The collections in the museum I think reflected this, but with newer and younger collectors,
    I think it will be interesting to see what discoveries lie ahead, and the changes in the museum to come.
    Hi
    Thanks your correct and pertinent comments - all true.

NAWCC membership has declined from a peak of over 24,000 to about 14,000, and in my opinion its because they never embraced the "wristwatch" or the younger generation of collectors.
    I am not young, but I am trying to improve the awareness by articles and webinars and donations on what NAWCC can offer wristwatch and up and coming (new) collectors.

Thanks for taking time to post
    Sincerely
    adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Thread Information