Introducing Visitor Watch Co. and the Calligraph Duneshore
Like Tree974Likes

Thread: Introducing Visitor Watch Co. and the Calligraph Duneshore

Page 1 of 82 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 ... LastLast

Introducing Visitor Watch Co. and the Calligraph Duneshore

Hello all,

My name is Phil Rodenbeck and this is my first post here at WUS. (You know the story: long-time lurker, first-time poster) Besides introducing myself, I would like to introduce you to my start-up watch brand, Visitor Watch Co., and my first model, the Calligraph Duneshore. Have a look:

Name:  Calligraph_Duneshore_Blue_Slate_and_Beach.jpg
Views: 9572
Size:  126.6 KB
    Name:  Calligraph_Duneshore_Blue_Slate_1.jpg
Views: 9747
Size:  76.8 KBName:  Calligraph_Duneshore_Beach_1.jpg
Views: 10346
Size:  99.8 KB
    Name:  Calligraph_Duneshore_Blue_Slate_2.jpg
Views: 10354
Size:  121.0 KBName:  Calligraph_Duneshore_Beach_2.jpg
Views: 9546
Size:  94.9 KB
    Name:  Calligraph_Duneshore_caseback_1.jpg
Views: 9843
Size:  91.9 KBName:  Calligraph_Duneshore_caseback_2.jpg
Views: 9386
Size:  64.8 KB
    Name:  Calligraph_Duneshore_caseback_3.jpg
Views: 9732
Size:  97.0 KB
    Name:  Calligraph_Duneshore_wristshot_1.jpg
Views: 9200
Size:  143.3 KB
    Name:  Calligraph_Duneshore_wristshot_2.jpg
Views: 9169
Size:  63.8 KBName:  Calligraph_Duneshore_wristshot_3.jpg
Views: 9148
Size:  96.7 KB
    Name:  Calligraph_Duneshore_wristshot_4.jpg
Views: 9511
Size:  115.1 KB
    Name:  Calligraph_Duneshore_lume.jpg
Views: 9779
Size:  82.5 KBName:  Calligraph_Duneshore_dial.jpg
Views: 9217
Size:  60.4 KB

If you would like more pictures, please visit www.visitorwatchco.com or follow us on facebook, instagram, or twitter for the most up to date images and news as we move toward a late October/early November Kickstarter launch.

Now for the nitty-gritty:

CASE DIMENSIONS:

• Breadth Along Wrist: 44mm (excluding crown)
    • Height Across Wrist: 42mm
    • Thickness: 11.75mm from top of crystal to valley of curved caseback, 13.69mm to crest
    • Lug to Lug: 51mm
    • Crown: 7mm Diameter X 2.8mm thickness

FEATURES:

• Sandwich Dial with Applied Indices
    • BGW9 Super Luminova applied to Hour and Minute Hand, Indices, Lower Dial Disk for Minutes, Date Disk, Dial Signature
    • Screw Down Crown
    • 100M Water Resistance
    • Pierced Lugs
    • 3-piece Screwed Case
    • Curved Exhibition Caseback with flush mounted curved mineral crystal
    • 2.5mm thick Sapphire Crystal with underside Anti-Reflective Coating
    • 316L SS Fully Mirror Polished Case excluding Vertically Brushed region on Caseback

MOVEMENT SPECS:

• Modified Miyota 9015
    • Custom Rotor
    • Custom Black Date Disk with BGW9 lumed numerals

STRAP: TBD (straps in pictures are aftermarket, they do not represent the final OEM unit)

ORIGINS:

• Design: USA
    • Engineering: USA, Hong Kong
    • Manufacturing: Hong Kong, China
    • Movement: Japan
    • Watch Assembly: Hong Kong
    • Quality Inspection: USA, Hong Kong

Prior to starting Visitor Watch Co., I worked as a mechanical engineer in the automotive and gas turbine industries. While these positions satisfied my need for a technical outlet, they left much to be desired in the way of an artistic outlet. Watches, I have found, offer me my ideal intersection between the technical and artistic worlds.

I designed the Duneshore with the intent to create an original look. Of course, it’s impossible not to be inspired by those who’ve come before you (and surely you may see traces of Genta, Panerai, Ananta aesthetic), but I expressly did not wish to imitate anyone. It has been my observation that a good many Kickstarter watch brands go one of two roads with their design: conservative/homage or wild/avant-garde. I wanted to split the difference, to offer something you had not seen before, but that still felt immediately approachable.

The above images depict Duneshore prototypes with Blue Slate and Beach dials. A dark green dial (Forest Ore) will also be offered at launch. There are a few changes and tweaks which will happen before launch. Most notably, the straps will be different (those pictured are just a couple I had around the house) and the rotor will be revised to include the Visitor logo where you now see that blank shield shape. Also, I am currently debating whether to sign or not sign the crown. I originally intended to have a signed crown, but the prototypes were made with unsigned crowns and now that look is growing on me. With an unsigned crown, the polished glow of the side of the watch is less interrupted. Adding a logo there would add a bit of busyness that may force an undesired focal point. I’d love to hear your opinion on ‘to sign’ or ‘not to sign’.

The mirror polish and clean dial of the Duneshore lend a dressy vibe, while the draping case and 44 X 42 mm size add casualness. If I had to put numbers on it, I’d say the Duneshore is 65% dress, 35% casual. So, if you’ve been looking for a unique, genre-blurring, a-traditional dress watch, perhaps you’ll find the Duneshore to your liking. I don’t have final pricing yet, but expect regular retail to fall in the low to mid 600s (USD). Kickstarter price will be appropriately discounted.

I appreciate your taking the time to read this thread, I hope you will comment and let me know what you think, and I doubly hope you’ll consider backing Visitor come time for the Kickstarter campaign (again, that will be late October or early November). Until then, I will be happy to correspond with you via this thread, or any of the Visitor Watch Co. avenues:

www.visitorwatchco.com

www.facebook.com/VisitorWatchCo
    www.instagram.com/visitorwatchco
    www.twitter.com/VisitorWatchCo

Yours,
    Phil Rodenbeck

Name:  full_logo_WUS_thread.jpg
Views: 9018
Size:  25.1 KB
    Wrist-stable: Visitor Calligraph Duneshore prototype X 2, Chris Ward C60 Trident GMT, Orient World-Timer Panda Power Reserve, Laco Flieger B, Seiko Orange Monster, 1963 Bulova 23J (grampy's ole watch)

Re: Introducing Visitor Watch Co. and the Calligraph Duneshore

Wow. Congrats on churning out a very original (albeit risque) design. I like it. It s a breath of fresh air amongst all the copycats :)
    IMO - I would like more brushed finishes on the case (or an all brushed case with certain focal areas left polished) to tone down the polished areas and it would also add more visual details.
    Also, I'm not sure what you mean by a sandwich dial as the indices are raised so, the hour markers are not lumed through another dial layer. Edit: I see the sandwich part now!
    And how is the 9015 modified besides the custom rotor?
    I would also like to see the hands a bit more uniform. They sorta look like an hour hand from one watch and a minute hand from another.
    Lastly, I think a 42mm case would be the ideal size although 44 isn't too big for me.
    Good luck! I'll keep an eye on this one.
    Last edited by sriracha; September 4th, 2014 at 15:14.
    "No ice in my drink, got enough in my watch..." -Juicy J

Inactive

I'm impressed by several of the details of the watch, like the curved case back and the unusual dial. The design is a bit chunky for me, but I think it is definitely original. Kudos Phil

What is the genesis of the name?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you, sriracha. A breath of fresh air is what I was going for :)
    Yes, the hour indices are raised, but if you look closely, you'll see that all the minute holes are lumed through a lower dial layer. (Oh, alright you got it!)
    I hear you about more mixed finishing, and it's something I toyed with, but found it over accentuates the many lines of the case. Using a single finish helps it all blend together in a more beautiful, cohesive way, IMO. But an all-brushed case is certainly a possibility down the road.
    Miyota 9015 is only modified with custom rotor and date disk.
    Thanks for your thoughts!
    Imbiton likes this.
    Wrist-stable: Visitor Calligraph Duneshore prototype X 2, Chris Ward C60 Trident GMT, Orient World-Timer Panda Power Reserve, Laco Flieger B, Seiko Orange Monster, 1963 Bulova 23J (grampy's ole watch)

Thanks, Mercer!

For the name origin, allow me to copy/paste a bit from my website:

Why CALLIGRAPH?
    'Calligraph' is the seldom used verb derivative of 'calligraphy.' As you might guess, it means 'to make calligraphy.' But if you broaden that definition, it can be understood to mean 'to communicate beautifully.' We think this gets at the essence of mechanical watches in a modern context: they exist to communicate time beautifully. They're not out to be the most accurate (quartz, atomic, GPS - all handily win here), or the most legible (what's more legible than an LCD display?), just the most beautiful.
    With this notion in mind, the debut collection from Visitor Watch Co. was given the name Calligraph, and the hour and minute hands you'll find on our first model, the Duneshore, correspondingly take their inspiration from calligraphy pens.

Why DUNESHORE?
    Visitor Watch Co. is based in Valparaiso, Indiana, just 20 minutes from the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore. Growing up in Valpo (as it's known), going to the Dunes was always a treat of the highest order. Amid the plots of corn and humble flatness of the Midwest, here, unexpectedly, was a beautiful beach and sand dunes to boot. Those sloping, wind-creased dunes served as inspiration for much of the Duneshore case.
    Another somewhat-local source of design inspiration comes from the nearby metropolis of Chicago. Nowadays, its hard to think of Chicago without also thinking of that glowing, photographer-seducing nugget, The Bean. This landmark served as inspiration for the curved caseback of the Duneshore (which I lovingly refer to as a 'beanback'). And like The Bean, at certain viewing angles, the beanback produces some trippy distortions.
    Uhuru Watches and kendalw3 like this.

Well. That's def. an unusual design. Looks very intriguing. Especially digging the hands on this. Really hope your KS campaign is a success - a design this odd-ball deserves success, imo.
    Visitor Phil likes this.
    - Geckota E-01 (Daily/Dressy)
    - NTH Bahia (Daily/Casual+Sport)
    - G-Shock 5600 (The too-cheap-to-sell-so-it-hangs-around watch)

very well-made, it shows your background as an engineer with spectacular sense of design which I envy (I only took a few courses before going all software)

best original design I've seen so far, with a modified 9015 to boot! However, I don't believe it's that approachable if it's that unique. Unusual designs don't always have that vibe. Also, your brand name and logo does not match the theme of your brilliant design.
    Visitor Phil likes this.
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Content

Is it possible to reduce to L2L? 51mm is a bit too long for my wrist. That's just my only opinion. Looks good. Fresh design. I will be looking at this project.
    Visitor Phil likes this.
    Instagram: @microwatches

That's a big compliment, BombFish, thank you.

Yeah, I get that when you hear "Visitor" the first thought is probably travel watches. But my rationale for the name Visitor was this: When you're a visitor somewhere, you're most likely an unexpected sight to the locals. People may do double-takes just because you're obviously 'not from around here.' That's the vibe I attempted to capture for my watches. Additionally, being a 'visitor' often means going outside your comfort zone. And for me, launching this brand was a big step outside my comfort zone. But one I'm glad I took.

The logo is supposed to be one of those lion-head door-knockers you see from time to time, which plays into the whole "visitor" concept. Admittedly, it could use some fine tuning. I hope this helps clear up my seemingly odd choices! Cheers.
    Last edited by Visitor Phil; September 4th, 2014 at 19:28.
    Uhuru Watches and njegos like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BombFish View Post
    [..] Also, your brand name and logo does not match the theme of your brilliant design.
    Hm. You know, when I saw the "Visitor" text on the dial, that blue illumination, and the case-shots, my first association was "ALIENS WOOOOOOOOO" ^^. This really looks a bit like an off-world watch, like something that a non-earth person trying to blend in would wear. And that's just. so. cool.

P.S. I like signed crowns. Just adds that extra touch of fancy, imo. Btw - the crowns on my orient (see sig) are signed (both of them) *and* glossy still. Maybe it's a possibility for your manufacturer too?
    gogmeister likes this.
    - Geckota E-01 (Daily/Dressy)
    - NTH Bahia (Daily/Casual+Sport)
    - G-Shock 5600 (The too-cheap-to-sell-so-it-hangs-around watch)

Page 1 of 82 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread Information