Quest for the perfect Pilot Watch. A headache project. - Page 51
Like Tree2024Likes

Thread: Quest for the perfect Pilot Watch. A headache project.

Page 51 of 107 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 101 ... LastLast

Re: Quest for the perfect Pilot Watch. A headache project.

Ciao Scott! The Mil Std specifies two different configuration:
    A-13A-1 having fluorescent hand and dial markings (without saying which marking)
    A-13A-2 having matt white hand and dial
    I think that the A-13A-1 is more practical approach for a wrist watch so mine has white luminous hand and marks at 12,3,6 and 9.

I'm not very much equipped for this type of shots but here we are. Both watches (Speedy on the left) have been exposed to the same amount of natural light, shutter speed 6 sec.

As already mentioned, the lume is good enough to easily check the time at 6:30 in the morning, but it doesn't glow like a Planet Ocean that has massive amount of lume material. You might remember that the problem was to keep the hands mass very low (and fully balanced) and lume paint is a relatively high density paint.
    Last edited by paolorange; March 2nd, 2017 at 09:00.
    Grace under fire, business as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott710 View Post
    I get the slow response. I myself was hoping it would come in under or around $500. I love the accuracy of quartz. But do not normally consider quartz watches beyond that price point. And beyond that price point, eh, its a harder choice for many if they are not into the history of aviation time pieces or aviation in general. However, pilots, like hunters buy some of the silliest gadgets, just because. So with the right exposure, the A-13A has definite sex appeal. If this thing was listed in any of the aviation oriented "pilot shop" catalogs (Sporty's, Aircraft Spruce, etc) you would see far more movement. Right now, limited exposure will limit demand. Outside of small venues like this, no one knows about it yet. Which is why I have emailed every airline, fighter and GA pilot I know.

My own thought on the watch is that it solves an problem that used to be large. Chrono's generally SUCK in the cockpit because you really just can't use them with their tiny dials. Hence the cockpit clock and digital stop watches. This watch moves that chrono clock to the wrist, and a lot of flyers, if they had knowledge of it, would probably jump on it. 20 years ago you probably couldn't have made enough of them. At the same time, ALL watches in aviation have suffered because of the advancement of technology in those last 20 years. With GPS and all the newer digital cockpit displays, watches have become pretty much just jewelry rather than a useful tool in the air. Alas, the watch is relegated to a back up or simply a nod to history. OR the tool of guys like me who still break out a map once in a while and navigates by pilotage just for the fun of it. GPS combined with the multi function display (glass cockpit) pretty much removes the need for old school navigation. Following the Magic Magenta line is the current trend and its hard to argue with its reliability. Sucks honestly. Ok, well, it is easier and far less stressful, and you'd have to be an idiot to get lost now days, but man, its just so, SO much more boring...LOL.

Anyway, yeah, being quartz, this watch would do better at $500 or less. But its the chicken/egg thing. Mass production lowers cost, but you cannot get to mass production until enough of them exist to register on the radar of the general public or targeted consumer. Best advice to the designer, contact Sporty's or a similar pilot shop. Make a deal. They'd probably buy 50 just to stock inventory.
    Isnt there a set rule for pilots too, like with divers, to always have a back up watch ??? My feeling on the price is that it shouldnt be measured by quartz alone, the history of conception and the design are worth a lot too. And this a a unique offering !
    JFingers likes this.

Timezone UK has a pretty tough policy...

1. You can view Sales Corner if your post count is 50 or more and you have been registered as a member for 60 days or more. You can post in Sales Corner if your post count is 250 or more and you have been registered as a member for 180 days or more.

I'll send a mail to the "Brave 75" tomorrow afternoon with a little bit of updates and the status of the project.
    :o)
    Last edited by paolorange; March 1st, 2017 at 22:27.
    thejollywatcher and g6k_br like this.
    Grace under fire, business as usual.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Scott710 View Post
    I get the slow response. I myself was hoping it would come in under or around $500. I love the accuracy of quartz. But do not normally consider quartz watches beyond that price point. And beyond that price point, eh, its a harder choice for many if they are not into the history of aviation time pieces or aviation in general. However, pilots, like hunters buy some of the silliest gadgets, just because. So with the right exposure, the A-13A has definite sex appeal. If this thing was listed in any of the aviation oriented "pilot shop" catalogs (Sporty's, Aircraft Spruce, etc) you would see far more movement. Right now, limited exposure will limit demand. Outside of small venues like this, no one knows about it yet. Which is why I have emailed every airline, fighter and GA pilot I know.

My own thought on the watch is that it solves an problem that used to be large. Chrono's generally SUCK in the cockpit because you really just can't use them with their tiny dials. Hence the cockpit clock and digital stop watches. This watch moves that chrono clock to the wrist, and a lot of flyers, if they had knowledge of it, would probably jump on it. 20 years ago you probably couldn't have made enough of them. At the same time, ALL watches in aviation have suffered because of the advancement of technology in those last 20 years. With GPS and all the newer digital cockpit displays, watches have become pretty much just jewelry rather than a useful tool in the air. Alas, the watch is relegated to a back up or simply a nod to history. OR the tool of guys like me who still break out a map once in a while and navigates by pilotage just for the fun of it. GPS combined with the multi function display (glass cockpit) pretty much removes the need for old school navigation. Following the Magic Magenta line is the current trend and its hard to argue with its reliability. Sucks honestly. Ok, well, it is easier and far less stressful, and you'd have to be an idiot to get lost now days, but man, its just so, SO much more boring...LOL.

Anyway, yeah, being quartz, this watch would do better at $500 or less. But its the chicken/egg thing. Mass production lowers cost, but you cannot get to mass production until enough of them exist to register on the radar of the general public or targeted consumer. Best advice to the designer, contact Sporty's or a similar pilot shop. Make a deal. They'd probably buy 50 just to stock inventory.
    I have to agree, I originally posted my love for this watch on page 2 of this thread, but at over $500 what became, yeah i'll take one cause it's really neat and it's not gonna stop me from buying the other watch I really want, to; well yes this is going to stop me from buying the watch I have wanted for years. I guess it's all how you look at it and it's up to each individual, you can buy a real mechanical A-13 for about $350, I know you cant wear it on your wrist, but if this watch was mechanical I would probably pay more for it. I think most of the hype on here was that yes it was quartz and people assumed it would come in at around $500, congrats to the people that are getting it and there should be no hard feelings to the people that have passed. All the best to Paolorange and thanks for being such a gentleman!!
    georgegervin44 likes this.

I get an error on the lume shot attachment, Paolo can you repost? Or am I the only one who can't open it? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gorgon777 View Post
    I get an error on the lume shot attachment, Paolo can you repost? Or am I the only one who can't open it? Thanks
    I thought I was the only one.

@scott710 I was thinking the exact thing with your second paragraph and talking about dive watches.
    I have found that some people just like to hear themselves typing.

Friends don't let friends buy G-Schlocks.

Don't be effing around... get the Patek and be done!!

You think I'm condescending...?? Do you even know what that means... ??

Every time God closes one door... I open a bottle of bourbon.

¹ I have learned that you have to put a smiley face or LOL behind anything just so people don't take you too seriously.

I don't think it's the price. Farer sells quartz-GMT watches for $530 and they're still around. It's just marketing. Maybe Paolo will wait a few more days to see if there are any more WUS takers for the pre-order, but if there aren't, I would launch a marketing blitz.

I mean this watch got featured on W&W and they didn't even get to touch it! I would go back to the W&W folks with a watch they can touch and play with and do a video for. Or at least get them to update their article with a link to the pre-sale (which is currently the #1 on Google for "a13 pilot watch").

Do a detailed hands on video that shows all the functions and how it looks in motion. Put some lume shots on the website. Get the website #1 on Google instead of W&W and work on the SEO. Run a bunch of Facebook ads.

Go to the local airport and take pictures inside of various planes with it. An epic video would be like a GoPro POV video of actually using the watch in flight. Or another video idea like someone in the right seat could talk to the pilot wearing the watch and record the intercom audio. Since we know Paolo has access to a plane we know this is possible. This this watch exists of a burning desire to design a watch for old-school VFR navigation, so let's see it in action!

The pilot community is a good start but also general men's style media (GQ, Esquire, Hypebeast, Askmen.com, Gear Patrol) could pick up on it too. Goodness knows IWC and Breitling don't exist because of licensed pilots.

This is a great looking piece with a great story and I would hate to see it fizzle out.
    TallWatch likes this.

Look, we have all become far to accustomed to kickstarter things that are hyped to the nines and are funded in 3 minutes flat.
    This is a totally unusual state of affairs.
    This project has grown far more slowly and organically, and the major sites for it are this thread (which has moved, understandably, but unhelpfully as it is not now in PilMil and rests in this odd corner of the public forum) and a new FB account. Not much, in other words.
    The W&W article was too early to affect orders.
    We will get to the numbers, I am sure.
    I posted it on TZ-UK and ATG, I am sure others can link to it as well. Maybe MWR is a good idea.
    But it doesn't need to happen in a day to be a success. We've waited ages to get this far anyway.
    Dave
    Last edited by sweets; March 2nd, 2017 at 11:35.

I am excited after seeing Paolo's email that was just sent.
    Joey
    Gryffindor likes this.

Paolo,

Re your latest email, kudos to you for being willing to take the plunge......our fearless leader of the Brave 75!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    6.5" flat left wrist

Auto: 1
    Quartz: 12

Page 51 of 107 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 101 ... LastLast

Thread Information