Quest for the perfect Pilot Watch. A headache project. - Page 6
Like Tree2024Likes

Thread: Quest for the perfect Pilot Watch. A headache project.

Page 6 of 107 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Re: Quest for the perfect Pilot Watch. A headache project.

Quote Originally Posted by paolorange View Post
    Here is a quick, unprofessional photos I took while having breakfast of the watch case courtesy made by my friend Paolo (he makes luxury bags for top fashion brands). It's just a prototype in leather while the final version will be in ballistic Cordura. The foldable leaflet with instructions comes from Alberto, aircraft mechanic, who suggested to make it close to the "yellow tag" that identifies serviced aircraft parts ready for flight. It's sounds like an excellent idea.

Just looking at the case; have you considered using waxed canvas as opposed to ballistic Cordura?

Loving the idea behind the manual, ties in with the proper bona-fide aviation instrument feel; I always get that 'warm fuzzy feeling' from having a set of FRCs in hand!

Really can't wait to see this go further to possibly being available for purchase, I for one am very interested!

Kindest Regards,
    Matt
    avusblue likes this.

Moderator Sales Corner Gryffindor's Avatar

+1 for interested parties here. I like where this is going!

Quote Originally Posted by CrewmanMatt View Post
    ... I always get that 'warm fuzzy feeling' from having a set of FRCs in hand!
    I absolutely share your point! Let me explain this to people who didn't experience this feeling. Just have a look of this:

When you roll in your hand this superbly manufactured (and expensive like a Rolex) aircraft piece you can clearly hear: "Hey I'm your new fuel shut off valve and I'll take care of you up there!". I can't explain better then this.

That's the kind of feeling I want my watch to suggest, otherwise my project will fail.
    Grace under fire, business as usual.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Dear Paolarange,
    As mentioned earlier i have marvelled and admired this watch design and have spent many a moment looking at it as i will at some point be buying a new pilots watch....I have to ask (and this is not a criticism of your design in any way - as it is your watch) but i am constantly drawn to the numeral "9" thinking that it seems offcentre, 10 degrees skewed to the right maybe..the tail of the 9 could be shortened?? In comparison the top part of the "6" finishes roughly in line with halfway of the circle.....in the "9" the bottom extends to the end of the circle "or so it seems".... i'll guess its just the way the font is..Im not normally pedantic about minute details...your thoughts?.......................still a bloody good watch...love to see it on a brown leather strap.. Cheers

This is what the French pilots were wearing from the mid fifties, Breguet, Dodane, Vixa, Auricoste, Airain...

Ciao Connavar. The all thing about the font of the number has been another source of headache. :o)
    As you know I've tried to adapt as much as possible the general layout specified by the MIL-C-6499 to my watch. This specificaton says that numerals and letter shall comply with MS33558.

So, I agree with your comment that makes perfect sense to me. The 9 looks wrong, but I'v decided to stick to the original 33558

Thanks PapaZulu for sharing.
    Chaz Goldenrod likes this.
    Grace under fire, business as usual.

Thankyou for the informative reply...i look forward to any further updates.

Sign me up!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subscribed!

Just discovered this thread, and I love this watch! How do large companies get their designs so wrong, and paolorange can get it so right?!

Quote Originally Posted by paolorange View Post
    The 9 looks wrong, but I'v decided to stick to the original 33558
    IMO I like how you're staying with the Mil-Spec stencil typeface. Even if someone didn't know there was a typeface spec, it just somehow "feels" right and authentic when you look at the dial.

It really annoys when I see Flieger-inspired watches that don't use the DIN typeface. Just looks and feels wrong. But then again, I'm a graphic design nerd, so I notice stuff like that.

P.S. I was wondering if the tip of elapsed time hand would look better in a different colour? Or is this less functional or against the Mil-Spec? Most watch companies use the clichéd red or orange, but someone once told me that red is difficult to read under cockpit lights. Oris uses yellow for the GMT hands in their ProPilot range.

I'm sure whatever you decide will look great. It's looking awesome already.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1204
Size:  48.6 KB
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government."

From one pilot (and engineer) to another good work! Why stop at the airfoil!? Throw the lift equation on the back! Haha but in all seriousness put me down as a potential order, I'm in!
    Last edited by ShaquitaBanana; May 24th, 2016 at 00:48. Reason: The lift equation is cooler than the drag equation
    paolorange likes this.

Page 6 of 107 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Thread Information