??
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ffritz

Thread: ??

??

Wonder if I am the first person to ask this question... What kind of movement do our smartphones use? Being a watch collector/enthusiast I own everything from 1940s Hamilton to Invicta diver. With (of course) bunch of quartz watches. With in between Electric movements that use battery to drive the gears (yes, those did exist... used electricity to drive the same mechanisms that the spring used to). I digress... What movement do we have on our smartphones? In relation, what movement do our smart watches use?

Re: ??

Neither smartphone or smartwatches have movements in them as such even though they both tell the time. I do believe they have a timer chip in them to keep track of the time but not actual timekeeping mechanisms.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Neither smartphone or smartwatches have movements in them as such even though they both tell the time. I do believe they have a timer chip in them to keep track of the time but not actual timekeeping mechanisms.
    ^^ This.

That metal thing in the middle is a quartz clock chip. I believe they are even smaller in smartphones/watches.

Name:  electronics.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  46.3 KB
    Rocket1991 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What's your question?

Is it about timekeeping? Or the CPU that runs the OS?

My smartwatch gets its time from my phone and that gets its time from the network. They both have a built in clock mechanism to tide them over if the network signal is lost for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by peagreen View Post
    My smartwatch gets its time from my phone and that gets its time from the network. They both have a built in clock mechanism to tide them over if the network signal is lost for a while.
    Actually your smartwatch has a quartz oscillator/chip inside and it only synchronizes with the phone or internet from time to time. Something like the G-Shock does with their MB6 features but probably much more often.

I have *NEVER* set the time or date on my smartwatch.
    Ergo: it gets its time and date from the phone.

It's SOC meaning system on chip. All integrated.
    Your time is probably another program running off CPU. Not sure they need separate time module.
    It should be special!

Quote Originally Posted by peagreen View Post
    I have *NEVER* set the time or date on my smartwatch.
    Ergo: it gets its time and date from the phone.
    Of course it does, but how do you explain that when in airplane mode it still keeps accurate time? There is a long thread on the HAQ sub forum explaining the timekeeping technology used in the AW.

Quote Originally Posted by utzelu View Post
    Of course it does, but how do you explain that when in airplane mode it still keeps accurate time? There is a long thread on the HAQ sub forum explaining the timekeeping technology used in the AW.
    I can’t remember if I participated in that specific thread, but yes, my Watch kept very good time when I experimented by running it in airplane mode for close to a month (better than -1 sec/month). Apple has said that it has a thermocompensating quartz timekeeping circuit, too, to make sure it runs well without network access.

Thread Information