Advice request re. first smart watch.
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Advice request re. first smart watch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advice request re. first smart watch.

Hi.
    I'm in the UK, new to this forum, and don't yet have a smart watch - though I have lots of conventional ones! The advice I am asking for is about which smart watch I could choose. My essential problem is that I have an iPhone 5S which I'm very happy with, and I don't want to go back to Android, really. When I've looked on Amazon etc. I have seen huge numbers of watches that are supposed to be compatible with iPhones, (though clearly the features aren't all available except with Android) - so it's hard to get a real idea of which are really compatible. I don't need many features anyway, but here are my basic requirements.

1. I DON'T want an Apple watch - I don't like the appearance - or the price.
    2. I don't particularly want to spend £300+, though this isn't necessarily a deal-breaker if I found exactly what I want.
    3. I don't need all the fitness features, so a watch that's especially geared to activity would be unsuitable.
    4. I'd really like a watch with variable face styles - not a purely analogue face.
    5. As far as connectivity with the iPhone is concerned, I'd be happy if the watch just beeped/vibrated when I have an incoming call or text - I don't need to be able to answer the call or see the text on the watch - I can just take my phone out of my pocket for that. It would also be great if the watch updated its timekeeping from the phone so that it's always correct.

Other features like GPS and so on would be a bonus but not necessarily important. I don't have a big issue about battery life - it can go on charge every night.

Is there anything out there that definitely fits all my requirements? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Advice request re. first smart watch.

Plenty of things... you can get away with Casio 99$ notification model (not G-Shock).
    https://www.casio.com/products/watch...th-sports-gear
    It should be special!

Nothing really matches all those requirements.

Google WearOS is supposed to be compatible with iOS, but my experience with it on an Android phone has been hit & miss. WearOS overall is not an OS that I openly recommend without some reservations. I have managed to keep it working on my Fossil gen4 explorist, but again its not ideal. I find the reliability is completely dependent on OS updates from Google... which have been hit & miss for me.

Just like you all I really need is a basic bluetooth wrist buzz notifier for calls / text, and some nice watch dials to swap. WearOS works for these things... as long as the updates do not interfere.

What I can't stand about WearOS is the STUPID cloud icon they force-display ontop of the watch face. HATE this!!! nails on chalkboard annoying having a really nice watch face with a stupid cloud icon that I can not turn off.

[/url]
    Last edited by kramer5150; March 6th, 2019 at 18:32.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

OP, what have you looked at so far? Once you whittle down the options to large and more reputable manufacturers, you end up with just a handful of choices.

If you don’t want an Apple Watch, and wearOS makes you hesitate, I’d say to look at Fitbit/Garmin/Suunto instead. My only non-Apple personal experience is my wife and her Fitbit ChargeHR, which can notify her of texts and calls.

There is Samsung, Asus, Fossil, whoever else, various Xiaomy and infinite number of fitness bands often as low as 100$ getting notifications and vibrating
    Choices really are unlimited nowadays.
    Even Citizen/Casio BT enabled watches beep or vibrate but they are expensive.
    There is 300$ G-Shock with solar and BT also capable of notifications.
    Depending on where you want to go you can have charging/no charging/ 200m WR options
    My suggestion is to visit local big box electronic retailer get hands on on what is available.
    It should be special!

You could purchase a Samsung smart watch.

Quote Originally Posted by smurfdon View Post
    You could purchase a Samsung smart watch.
    This is probably the best option for the OPs preferences in the first half of 2019. I have read a couple iPhone users saying their Samsung watches receive notifications from imessage. Which seems strange to me, I always thought iOS was a sealed bank vault in terms of what they allow into the ecosystem.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 11.18.32 AM.png
Views: 42
Size:  110.3 KB

Have you heard about the Matrix BlackOps by PowerWatch? You never need to charge, it uses your body heat to power the watch.
    wobbegong likes this.

Moderator German Watches Forum

Quote Originally Posted by omegafan2015 View Post
    Name:  Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 11.18.32 AM.png
Views: 42
Size:  110.3 KB

Have you heard about the Matrix BlackOps by PowerWatch? You never need to charge, it uses your body heat to power the watch.
    Does that Matrix have any of the features requested by the original poster?

Thanks,
    rationaltime

Quote Originally Posted by rationaltime View Post
    Does that Matrix have any of the features requested by the original poster?

Thanks,
    rationaltime
    No... From what I've read it doesnt work in really hot weather too, when the watch temperature is higher than the person wearing it.
    Last edited by kramer5150; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:23.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information