Ambite3 Peak or Garmin Fenix 3

Thread: Ambite3 Peak or Garmin Fenix 3

Ambite3 Peak or Garmin Fenix 3

Hello,

For two days I've been exploring what sports watch to buy and I went to the store today, and I have to say that Suunto Ambit3 peak and Garmin Fenix 3 (without HR) suit me best as weight and appearance are good. About these watches, I was particularly attracted to the battery's durability, as well as good ratings of GPS and other things. The only major worry is that the watches are pretty old and with that software support and other things will soon go away.

I would ask for the first-hand experience regarding these two hours ... Since basically, it's important for me to measure steps, good for swimming and running into the hill. I also tried Fenix 5, but it's a bit bulkier and heavier - but yes it has more options regarding training and smart things - but really don't know if I need all this as this is my first watch.

Thank you for advice and help and sorry for bad English.

Re: Ambite3 Peak or Garmin Fenix 3

I've got zero experience with these two watches, although I still have an old Garmin Forerunner 410 that was discontinued a few years ago. But anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by mike1888 View Post
    The only major worry is that the watches are pretty old and with that software support and other things will soon go away.

I doubt that software support will be an issue. The good thing about fitness watches is that they're pretty simple -- they don't run applications, they don't have to get upgraded for new cellular networks, and their operating systems are single-purpose. Once they leave the factory, they're pretty well set, and might only need one or two bug fixes later.

My 410 still uploaded data to Garmin Connect the last time I used it (which was maybe two years ago), and it still shows up in the Garmin app on my laptop.

I also tried Fenix 5, but it's a bit bulkier and heavier - but yes it has more options regarding training and smart things - but really don't know if I need all this as this is my first watch.

It'll be difficult to get accustomed to a bulky and heavy watch. It's also possible to have too many options for workouts and configurations. I barely scratched the surface of what my 410 could do, too (I got it in case I ever wanted to buy a PowerTap for my bike, but I never did).

Did you look these up at DC Rainmaker's site? It'll take an hour to read through everything, but you'll probably find all the technical answers you want.
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com

... and sorry for bad English.
    It's fine. We ain't always talk good Americanese 'round here. :D

Re: Ambite3 Peak or Garmin Fenix 3

I don't have any experience with the Garmin, but I do have an Ambit3 Peak that I wear for OCR. I've had it for a few years and have beat the snot out of it on various courses with the only damage being a small scratch on the crystal. I don't wear it as a daily, but when I have worn it, the step count seems in line with the my fitbit as far as the step counter goes. The GPS has been extremely accurate even when running through the wood under heavy tree cover and doesn't chew through the battery. I've been on a race course for 8 hours and still had plenty of battery left at the finish line.
    The multiple built in sports you can program in are pretty sweet and they are pretty easy to access when you want to use them to track a race or workout. Each has default screen configurations that you can customize to suit your own needs.
    The one downside for me so far, and it's pretty minor, has been that I need to connect the watch to my laptop to download activities. There is plenty of onboard memory so I don't need to do it very often.
    Overall, I like the watch. I've thought about replacing it a few times, but never have. The thing just works.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thread Information