Apple Watch Alternatives
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Apple Watch Alternatives

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Apple Watch Alternatives

Hey everyone. I have a buddy who is looking for a new smart watch that isn't an Apple watch. He originally asked about the Tag Heuer Connected watch. I don't know enough to give him a solid recommendation, but I feel like $1500 for a smart watch is a little nuts. Does anyone have experience with the Tag? Is it worth it? Do you guys have any other suggestions? Here's his list of "wants". Thanks in advance!

• Display: always on
    • Battery life: several days
    • Notifications: customizable (i have to believe this is standard at this point). i really only give a .... about calendar, mail and text alerts. if i dismissed a mail alert with my pebble, it would mark the email as read which is a very minor thing but i loved that
    • Water-proof: minimally splash-proof (aka IP67) but ideally waterproof to several meters so my man sweat doesn't break it and i can wear it in the pool if i so choose
    • App store: mandatory for additional apps and watch faces for the watch. if there is one that also provides watch-integrated apps for my phone, all the better
    • API for watch apps: very high priority. i want to be able to buy watch apps / watch faces created by the community, not just ones that the OS manufacturer provides

Re: Apple Watch Alternatives

TAG Connected is just a dressed-up Android Wear smartwatch. It's like how TAG's Aquaracer is fitted with a bottom-rung SW200 movement these days. It's not worth $1500.

That said...

I don't think there's anything on the market that'll meet everything on his list. He can get a long battery life if he foregoes a display (there are analog semi-smartwatches that can do a few tricks but don't have a display to show text), or he can get a display that uses more power and requires regular recharging.

The last point -- an API for watch apps -- in the case of the Apple Watch, there are plenty of apps made by third parties, and Apple only makes a bare minimum. Maybe his wording is a little off when he says, "...not just ones that the OS manufacturer provides."
    TTommyTizzats likes this.

You didn’t mention what phone he wants to pair the SW with. This is important and would narrow the list of suitable watches. Because you mentioned that he doesn’t want an Apple Watch I will assume he uses an Android phone.

I consider the Tag Heuer Connected to be the best looking smart watch on the market currently, available in a larger or smaller diameter. Whether it is worth $1500 it really depends on your friends financial situation.

The other alternatives would be Samsung Gear S3, LG Sport and Huawei.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    TAG Connected is just a dressed-up Android Wear smartwatch. It's like how TAG's Aquaracer is fitted with a bottom-rung SW200 movement these days. It's not worth $1500.

That said...

I don't think there's anything on the market that'll meet everything on his list. He can get a long battery life if he foregoes a display (there are analog semi-smartwatches that can do a few tricks but don't have a display to show text), or he can get a display that uses more power and requires regular recharging.

The last point -- an API for watch apps -- in the case of the Apple Watch, there are plenty of apps made by third parties, and Apple only makes a bare minimum. Maybe his wording is a little off when he says, "...not just ones that the OS manufacturer provides."
    Agree with this.

If he really wants to do his own coding/apps there are SDK's available for Samsung's Tizen platform on their wearables and a sizeable and growing development community to share with.

Sent from my SM-G960F using DeX
    SoOoO many watches, SoOoO little time...

I've had fossil Q smart watches and they check almost all those boxes. Great watch and great price. Usually can find them sub $200 and they look like a watch

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post

That said...

Thanks for the reply. Here's his clarification about the third-party apps:

I should have said ‘free, open source API’. Apple is requiring apps to be native to the watch rather than allowing them to tether to the paired iPhone. In response, a decent number of major application developers are telling Apple to f off (Instagram stops support for Apple Watch - Business Insider).

While I acknowledge the "fashion smartwatches" on the market, I believe the lack of sensors severely reduces their appeal. All you're left with is the notifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Vette45 View Post
    I've had fossil Q smart watches and they check almost all those boxes. Great watch and great price. Usually can find them sub $200 and they look like a watch

I doubt the developers are shutting down their apps because of the SDK restrictions. Rather they find out their apps are not well suitable for the small screen of the watch. It is much more difficult to design a useful app for the watch than for the phone. WRT to the Apple SDK, I consider a good approach not to open the system for any use, as the threat to security would be great. The Android ecosystem has confirmed this and Google is trying to restrict what developers can do with their apps.

Quote Originally Posted by TTommyTizzats View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Here's his clarification about the third-party apps:

I should have said ‘free, open source API’. Apple is requiring apps to be native to the watch rather than allowing them to tether to the paired iPhone. In response, a decent number of major application developers are telling Apple to f off (Instagram stops support for Apple Watch - Business Insider).
    BarracksSi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by utzelu View Post
    You didn’t mention what phone he wants to pair the SW with. This is important and would narrow the list of suitable watches. Because you mentioned that he doesn’t want an Apple Watch I will assume he uses an Android phone.

I consider the Tag Heuer Connected to be the best looking smart watch on the market currently, available in a larger or smaller diameter. Whether it is worth $1500 it really depends on your friends financial situation.

The other alternatives would be Samsung Gear S3, LG Sport and Huawei.

Thanks for the suggestions. He actually has an iPhone :)

Quote Originally Posted by TTommyTizzats View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. He actually has an iPhone :)
    Any reason he doesn’t want the Apple Watch other than looks?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information