Best smartwatch for health tracking?

Thread: Best smartwatch for health tracking?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which is supposed to be the best smartwatch for tracking calories burned, steps, measuring heart rate, etc or is the Samsung galaxy and apple watch pretty much equal?

I'm due for a phone upgrade and am open to either Apple or Samsung don't use the phone much, except for call, text, maps so could care less about android vs ios , just care about the watch performance for health.

Thank you

If sleep tracking is on your list, you should avoid Apple. WatchOS is lacking in that space unless you go third party apps and muck about. IMO you’ll be better off exploring alternatives eg Fitbit / Garmen
    Oris Chronoris
    Frederique Constant Slim Line
    Jaeger LeCoultre Master Compressor 2

Re: Best smartwatch for health tracking?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashhh View Post
    If sleep tracking is on your list, you should avoid Apple. WatchOS is lacking in that space unless you go third party apps and muck about. IMO you’ll be better off exploring alternatives eg Fitbit / Garmen
    IMO (heh) that's a decent reason to check Apple -- because it's easier to find third-party apps for it. And I regularly sleep with my Apple Watch on my wrist because it's been my most effective alarm clock each morning; I charge it when I take a shower or when I veg out and watch TV.

The other half of the equation is the robustness of the health data... uh, repository... -- how many metrics you want to record (and, as a bonus, how it manages data privacy). Apple's Health app has tons of measurements available for apps to record into, and it's all encrypted on-device and not offloaded to "the cloud".

If all you need are the three basics -- steps, calorie estimates, heart rate -- then you need nothing more than, say, a Fitbit with a heart rate sensor, like my wife's Charge HR.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

+1 Vote for the Apple watch/iPhone over Android options.

Its going to be hard to beat the Apple ecosystem from an overall standpoint.

If you go with Android, I would get a fitbit or Garmin if you need battery life or get a Samsung galaxy watch if you don't mind re-charging it more often.

Do you have any strong preferences in regard to battery life and how frequently you need to re-charge the watch?

Really appreciate the responses! Ideally I would like a longer battery life but durability is also important. Right now i am training for an ironman and when I bike I use Strava and have my phone with me but i can't have the phone on me when im running or swimming since its a big phone and its annoying. Tracking heart rate is big for me.

Truthfully i never looked into smartwatches until after my mens league hockey game my buddy showed me his health stats post game from his apple watch. my mind was blown haha

Iíve tried quite a few sports watches over the years, and these days most can double as smart watches and trackers like an Apple watch can. For more serious sports, Garmin is probably the best. For more casual fitness Iíd suggest the Fitbit Surge, which I think has a more user friendly app. Iíve had one Suunto, and had a lot of difficulty with the app connection. Epson is somewhere in between. I am currently trying out a Coros pace running watch. It is a cheaper option than a Garmin with a long battery life (comparatively speaking) but does not offer sleep tracking if thatís a priority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the Apple Watch, Samsung Galaxy and Garmin Fenix smart watches I tried, I would recommend first the Apple Watch and then the Garmin. Some say the Garmin is the best sports watch, but I found it too cumbersome to use and too much data for my use case. The Apple Watch is very versatile, with good data and has features others donít have, like EKG, heart condition monitoring, perfect integration with the phone and more.

Quote Originally Posted by mtor91 View Post
    Really appreciate the responses! Ideally I would like a longer battery life but durability is also important. Right now i am training for an ironman and when I bike I use Strava and have my phone with me but i can't have the phone on me when im running or swimming since its a big phone and its annoying. Tracking heart rate is big for me.

Truthfully i never looked into smartwatches until after my mens league hockey game my buddy showed me his health stats post game from his apple watch. my mind was blown haha
    Do you need ANT+ for your bike, too, like for a speed/cadence sensor or power meter? Apple doesnít have ANT+ compatibility.

But at least you can pair a Bluetooth HR strap with an AW and get more battery life. The AW will switch off the LEDs and optical sensor when you use an BT strap.

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    IMO (heh) that's a decent reason to check Apple -- because it's easier to find third-party apps for it. And I regularly sleep with my Apple Watch on my wrist because it's been my most effective alarm clock each morning; I charge it when I take a shower or when I veg out and watch TV.

The other half of the equation is the robustness of the health data... uh, repository... -- how many metrics you want to record (and, as a bonus, how it manages data privacy). Apple's Health app has tons of measurements available for apps to record into, and it's all encrypted on-device and not offloaded to "the cloud".

If all you need are the three basics -- steps, calorie estimates, heart rate -- then you need nothing more than, say, a Fitbit with a heart rate sensor, like my wife's Charge HR.
    Fair point! The sleep watch app for watchOS does look impressive.
    Oris Chronoris
    Frederique Constant Slim Line
    Jaeger LeCoultre Master Compressor 2

Fair point! The sleep watch app for watchOS does look impressive.
    I used to use Sleep Cycle, but I donít think I ever paid much attention to it. The Bedtime tab in the standard Clock app is pretty useful, though.

Even without another app, the standard Health app works alongside the watch to log sleep data (along with more than I thought to look at).

Last edited by BarracksSi; December 16th, 2019 at 05:23.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information