• 1 Post By Rocket1991
  • 1 Post By mav
  • 1 Post By Rocket1991
  • 1 Post By IAmScott
  • 1 Post By Rocket1991

Thread: "Connected" wristwatches

heb

"Connected" wristwatches

Do you need an I-phone to use a "connected" watch? I never cared too much about such watches until a saw an advertisement of a new model by Alpina. One of its features is "connected" GPS. I don't know what that is, hence my initial question.

Thanks, heb

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Re: "Connected" wristwatches

Unless it's an Apple watch, I think they'll all work with just about any variety of smart phones.
    heb, BarracksSi and peagreen like this.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

I suspect it needs to connect to your phone but if it's not Apple it probably has the app on both the Apple store and Google Play. I suspect it's incapable of doing much other than time without a paired phone though.
    heb likes this.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Some do and some not. There are models with data connection and wi-fi these models have more freedom or rather longer leash. Technically you can everything from the watch, but in reality you forced to use phone as control unit. Android or Apple.
    heb likes this.
    It should be special!

heb

Thanks for all the replies. My question was not the correct one, my fault. I don't own any smart phone, Apple, Android, etc. But your answers are right on the mark; no smart phone, no "connected" watches for me.

heb

There are standalone smart watches that can track GPS without being tethered to a smart phone - LG Urbane, Samsung Galaxy Gear S, and I believe the latest Apple Watch (3rd Gen).

mav

Connected GPS means that you will need a smartphone, connected to the smartwatch, via bluetooth, for the GPS to work. It's essentially using the smartphone's GPS function. This doe mean that if you go for a run and want to track it via GPS, you'll have to bring your smartphone with you.

As Sussa mentioned, there are a few smartwatches that has true GPS built in, without having it being tethered to the smartphone.
    heb likes this.
    ♛ Rolex | Ω Omega | IWC | Cartier | Tudor | Seiko | Weiss | G-Shock
    @aguynamedtommy

Samsung Gear fit 2 worked without smartphone, but you don't get full potential out of it and you can't add soft/upgrade it. But you do get full tracking and fitness.
    For some reason it did not worked with tablets. Artificial limitation because for actual use of smartwatch you do not need phone at all and tablet will work fine to process data and aggregate statistics.
    It works "standalone" fine: has GPS, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi so you can track your activity, stream music,count daily steps, calories....
    Last edited by Rocket1991; June 13th, 2018 at 16:43.
    heb likes this.
    It should be special!

Quote Originally Posted by heb View Post
    Do you need an I-phone to use a "connected" watch? I never cared too much about such watches until a saw an advertisement of a new model by Alpina. One of its features is "connected" GPS. I don't know what that is, hence my initial question.

Thanks, heb
    Nope, no, never!
    There is something to be appreciated staying analog and disconected. To be fair, I cannot stand "Smart Watches" anyway.
    Not a Luddite, just weary of tech being shoved into everything.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    heb likes this.

When you watch is only notification store front i won't consider it smart watch. connected may be a right term. I reviewed my first reply and it stroked me i don't even consider possibility of buying "connected watch". In this day and age smartwatch is dedicated device capable of something phones did in 2012 or so. Including sensors, processing power ... well everything. There is obviously place for connected watches but only if you need basic step counting and activity tracking and some people would like to have analog watch with bit extra. That said you can do so much more on smart watch, so it just don't worth it in my eyes to get something else. Next generation will be out soon and we can expect much more in terms of battery life, bump in functionality and reduction in size. Worth a wait.
    Good ones are not bulky, not ugly as they used to be have WR suitable for swimming and give you infinite customization options.
    Connected watch is completely useless without smartphone. It build this way.
    Like Timex IQ or like it.
    heb likes this.
    It should be special!

Thread Information