Is this considered a smart watch??
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Is this considered a smart watch??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is this considered a smart watch??

I have a tissot sea-touch. I've never thought of it as a smart watch. But it does a lot of smart things like logging dives and has a compass. So is this a smart watch??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Is this considered a smart watch??

I think the defining line is (or should be, if it isn't already) that a smartwatch can connect to a smartphone and transfer data.

Now, yeah, this has a lot of gray areas. A Fitbit One, which clips to your hip, isn't a watch at all, so it would be a simple "wearable" even though it sends data to your phone.

Your Sea-Touch doesn't connect with a smartphone, right? It would be what we call an "ABC" watch -- Altitude, Barometer, Compass. Maybe it doesn't have those exact same functions, but it'd be in the same class as a G-Shock with thermometer and altimeter (as one example).
    daveangel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    I think the defining line is (or should be, if it isn't already) that a smartwatch can connect to a smartphone and transfer data.

Now, yeah, this has a lot of gray areas. A Fitbit One, which clips to your hip, isn't a watch at all, so it would be a simple "wearable" even though it sends data to your phone.

Your Sea-Touch doesn't connect with a smartphone, right? It would be what we call an "ABC" watch -- Altitude, Barometer, Compass. Maybe it doesn't have those exact same functions, but it'd be in the same class as a G-Shock with thermometer and altimeter (as one example).
    Basically instead of the Altitude and Barometer it's got a depth gauge and dive log. Does the temp and a compass as well.

But it's still smart as hell. Haha.

But no it doesn't connect to my phone or computer. So makes sense it's not a smart watch.

Thanks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

How does yours work with its bezel? I haven't seen one like that before.

Back to "is this a smartwatch?" --

Breitling's got a watch that connects to an app, but I think it's mostly to make it easier to change the settings on the watch. I don't think it tracks steps, checks your heart rate, or gives you sports scores; it uses the app as a control interface instead of forcing you to remember arcane button sequences.
    https://www.breitling.com/en/models/...echnical-data/

So is the Exospace B55 a smartwatch? Ehhhh.... Kind of gray on this one, too. "Connected", maybe? But then it's not as phone-connected as a TAG Carrera Connected (Android Wear) or a Citizen Proximity.

My Tissot Solar expert says 'Smartwatch' on the back and its pretty smart. Everything works well, all on solar power. It also amazing what the Casio ProTrek can do using only solar power.

The modern use of the term 'smart' as in Smart Fridges that have a camera that tells you when your milk has run out is not actually that smart, rarely works as its indented with lots of bugs, which is similar to most modern connected smartwatches. So there's the classic use of the word smart and the modern use.

Back to the question, using the modern 'smart', as a basic requirement a watch needs Bluetooth and/or Wifi to be classed as a smartwatch so that it can get and/or send information to make the watch dynamic. An old Nokia phone does the job of calls, but add wifi and a play store and its a dynamic computer.

Sadly due to poor battery life and software bugs they need a few years to mature to be smart in the classic use of the word.

lvt

No, it's not a smart watch, it's just a multifunction watch with preloaded features. You can't change the order of functions list or customize the functions. Even the old stupid phone can let you change the display language.
    Ball - Casio / G-shock - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Seiko - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Even if it's not technically a smart watch it's pretty damn smart. Or maybe I'm just stupid and easily impressed.

...also there's a few new hybrid smart watch, some with a Quartz movement with Bluetooth functionality for notifications with really long battery life, its a good middle ground between say a ProTrek and a new Apple watch with poor battery life.

Like i said before its depends on the modern or old school 'smart'.

Quote Originally Posted by no-time View Post
    ...also there's a few new hybrid smart watch, some with a Quartz movement with Bluetooth functionality for notifications with really long battery life, its a good middle ground between say a ProTrek and a new Apple watch with poor battery life.

Like i said before its depends on the modern or old school 'smart'.
    Yeah I had no idea about the battery life of Apple watches until like 2 weeks ago when I was looking at a buddies. I was so confused. I was thinking a month or so. seems like such a pain in the butt.

The constant charging IS a pain. With Wifi, GPS, Bluetooth on most last 3 hours at best. General rule the more features you use the more battery it consumes and people want thinner watches, which mean smaller battery.

The way forward (until the battery technology improves) is a transreflective screen, its got lower pixels, but better on battery life and excellent in direct sunlight.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information