Fitbit vs smart watch for girlfriend? Please help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Meatshield the Yeti
  • 1 Post By Christopher.Chang33

Thread: Fitbit vs smart watch for girlfriend? Please help

Fitbit vs smart watch for girlfriend? Please help

Girlfriend has mentioned that she wants a rose gold Garmin Vivomove and a few weeks later she said the same about a Fitbit. It appears different collegues have them which sparked the interest of a smart watch.

I prefer the ones that look like regular watches but i guess the functions is what matters here. I am a total rookie here and dont really understand what the different models can and can't do despite myself being a PC gamer for years.

• Good WR so she can use it for workouts and showers
    • Being able to use GPS to track and map workouts
    • Sleep monitoring
    • Bluetooth and Spotify support so you dont need the phone when running (Is this even possible?)

I guess most of them can do that but which has the best software for phone interactions to use with apps such as runkeeper and Strava? Or maybe the watch manufacturers have their own apps?

Thanks in advance
    Jonathan
    Last edited by mrsvahn; August 31st, 2019 at 15:59.

Re: Fitbit vs smart watch for girlfriend? Please help

Quote Originally Posted by mrsvahn View Post
    Girlfriend has mentioned that she wants a rose gold Garmin Vivomove and a few weeks later she said the same about a Fitbit. It appears different collegues have them which sparked the interest of a smart watch.

I prefer the ones that look like regular watches but i guess the functions is what matters here. I am a total rookie here and dont really understand what the different models can and can't do despite myself being a PC gamer for years.

• Sleep monitoring
    • Bluetooth and Spotify support so you dont need the phone when running (Is this even possible?)

I guess most of them can do that but which has the best software for phone interactions to use with apps such as runkeeper and Strava? Or maybe the watch manufacturers have their own apps?

Thanks in advance
    Jonathan
    I don't know much about the Garmin, so I'll let others chime in who maybe own or have experience with one.

The Fitbits, however, I've got experience with. First let's go through your list:

- WR: Not much of an issue here. Even the earlier model Fitbits were pretty much waterproof. The entire current line-up, as far as I know, is completely water and "swim-proof".
    - GPS: Even if the watch itself doesn't support GPS natively, the app does, so yes, this is possible to do.
    - Sleep: Again, this has been around for several generations of the Fitbit line-up, so yes, it can do this.
    - Spotify: Hrmmmmmmm. I know you can use certain Fitbit models to stream audio, but as far as I know, it can't be done via Spotify.

Fitbit has it's own app that connects with its devices, yes. You wouldn't need other apps, per se, to capture the data your girlfriend is looking to capture.

TBH, Fitbit is a really great product for what it does. Again, it's a full on, completely digital and electronic smartwatch. It's not a hybrid, and it's not meant to emulate the look of a traditional watch (I know EXACTLY where you're going with this, there's a thread right beneath this named "Question about the Galaxy Watch from a skeptic" where a number of us are currently discussing this very thing). But that said, it doesn't sound like that's what your girlfriend is after anyways. From a durability aspect, I have to definitely give props to Fitbit. I beat the HELL out of mine as I wore it daily while working (I was doing automotive detailing at the time, so a lot of manual labour, dirt, grime, liquids, machinery, etc etc). It held up really well for quite a long time. Eventually, some of the glue holding the device together started to separate, and that's when I stopped using it. Honestly, take that with a grain of salt though, as I exposed that Fitbit to a particularly harsh environment, day in and day out.

Personally, if I were in the market for this type of device, Fitbit would definitely be one of the products I'd be considering.
    Before you ask, yes, I've seen -45 degrees (both Celsius and Fahrenheit)

Agree with Yukoner -- the Fitbit products are super solid, very reliable and I've had a great experience with them. I'd recommend the Versa - the interface is easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner1 View Post
    I don't know much about the Garmin, so I'll let others chime in who maybe own or have experience with one.

The Fitbits, however, I've got experience with. First let's go through your list:

- WR: Not much of an issue here. Even the earlier model Fitbits were pretty much waterproof. The entire current line-up, as far as I know, is completely water and "swim-proof".
    - GPS: Even if the watch itself doesn't support GPS natively, the app does, so yes, this is possible to do.
    - Sleep: Again, this has been around for several generations of the Fitbit line-up, so yes, it can do this.
    - Spotify: Hrmmmmmmm. I know you can use certain Fitbit models to stream audio, but as far as I know, it can't be done via Spotify.

Fitbit has it's own app that connects with its devices, yes. You wouldn't need other apps, per se, to capture the data your girlfriend is looking to capture.

TBH, Fitbit is a really great product for what it does. Again, it's a full on, completely digital and electronic smartwatch. It's not a hybrid, and it's not meant to emulate the look of a traditional watch (I know EXACTLY where you're going with this, there's a thread right beneath this named "Question about the Galaxy Watch from a skeptic" where a number of us are currently discussing this very thing). But that said, it doesn't sound like that's what your girlfriend is after anyways. From a durability aspect, I have to definitely give props to Fitbit. I beat the HELL out of mine as I wore it daily while working (I was doing automotive detailing at the time, so a lot of manual labour, dirt, grime, liquids, machinery, etc etc). It held up really well for quite a long time. Eventually, some of the glue holding the device together started to separate, and that's when I stopped using it. Honestly, take that with a grain of salt though, as I exposed that Fitbit to a particularly harsh environment, day in and day out.

Personally, if I were in the market for this type of device, Fitbit would definitely be one of the products I'd be considering.
    Yukoner1 likes this.

The only thing I can think of that fits all of the criteria would be a Garmin 5s+, but it's not rose gold and will still be a bit clunky

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Maybe an out of date thread by now, but I've been thinking about the parts I've highlighted in bold (plus the list itself) --
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsvahn View Post

• Sleep monitoring

Thanks in advance
    Jonathan
    You say her work colleagues have wearable gadgets, too. Does she want to participate in challenges with them? For example, my sister got a Fitbit a few years ago and immediately asked if I was also on the platform. I didn't have a Fitbit myself, but I downloaded the app to my phone and we motivated each other via the app. (she's since gotten an Apple Watch like I have, but that's another story) If your girlfriend has the same idea, then choose whatever gadget uses the same platform as her work colleagues' gadgets.

Bluetooth -- in this instance, meaning that it can send music to wireless earphones without having to carry a phone? I don't think any band-type wearable can do this, simply because they don't have a UI or onboard app to manage it. You'll need at least a Fitbit Ionic, Versa, or something similar. As far as Spotify — without a phone — is concerned, you'd need a cellular-capable smartwatch, because Spotify/Apple Music/etc are streaming services that need an active data connection. I don't think any Fitbit products have cellular capabilities, although some can control a Spotify or Pandora app that's running on the phone.

Exporting data to Runkeeper and Strava, I think, is still platform-dependent. Check with each manufacturer's product listings. Fitbit mentions Strava with their Ionic and Versa watches.

Do watch manufacturers have their own apps? Yup, that's pretty much how these work.

So most people have hit most points, I do have 1 thing to add though. Although no Fitbit currently supports Spotify downloading the ionic can load MP3s and play them via Bluetooth headphones on a run.

For full Spotify integration I think you'd need to get a Samsung or Apple watch or a Android Wear OS watch.

Goodluck on the search!

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    BarracksSi likes this.
    How is it I can have so many watches and never be on time?
    Instagram link @ https://www.instagram.com/christopher.chang33/

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher.Chang33 View Post
    So most people have hit most points, I do have 1 thing to add though. Although no Fitbit currently supports Spotify downloading the ionic can load MP3s and play them via Bluetooth headphones on a run.

For full Spotify integration I think you'd need to get a Samsung or Apple watch or a Android Wear OS watch.

Goodluck on the search!

The current iteration of the Samsung Galaxy Watch Active2 has full Spotify integration and should be able to stream Spotify without a phone (IF you have the LTE version). The only Android-compatible watches I know that are non-LTE and that can download/store Spotify songs are the Garmin Vivoactive Musics.

Nah the Samsung ones can also download and play untethered without LTE. It's been an option on my Gear fit2 pro for a while. I believe this extends to the gear S3 and active 1 but I'd have to check later (got a S3 as well.

Here is the app Blurb from the Samsung app store

"Are you tired of having to reach into your pocket, unlock your smartphone, and open the Spotify app just to control playback? We’ve got your back (wrist?)

— Spotify is now available on the Samsung Gear Fit2 and Fit2 Pro wristbands. Control Spotify on your phone directly from your wrist! Premium accounts can save music offline directly to your wristband and leave your phone at home when you go for a run. Remote control Spotify on your phone: - Play, Pause, and Skip - Save To Your Music - Toggle Shuffle & Repeat - Access and play from Recently Played, Your Library, and Browse - Listen absolutely free with ads, or get Spotify Premium Stream music directly from your wrist

(Premium users only): - Stream over WiFi - Playback from Bluetooth connected headphones or speakers - Text & Voice Search - Full Playback controls (save, shuffle, repeat, volume) - Access and play from Browse, Your Library, Recently Played"

How is it I can have so many watches and never be on time?
    Instagram link @ https://www.instagram.com/christopher.chang33/

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher.Chang33 View Post
    Nah the Samsung ones can also download and play untethered without LTE. It's been an option on my Gear fit2 pro for a while. I believe this extends to the gear S3 and active 1 but I'd have to check later (got a S3 as well.

Here is the app Blurb from the Samsung app store

"Are you tired of having to reach into your pocket, unlock your smartphone, and open the Spotify app just to control playback? We’ve got your back (wrist?)

— Spotify is now available on the Samsung Gear Fit2 and Fit2 Pro wristbands. Control Spotify on your phone directly from your wrist! Premium accounts can save music offline directly to your wristband and leave your phone at home when you go for a run. Remote control Spotify on your phone: - Play, Pause, and Skip - Save To Your Music - Toggle Shuffle & Repeat - Access and play from Recently Played, Your Library, and Browse - Listen absolutely free with ads, or get Spotify Premium Stream music directly from your wrist

(Premium users only): - Stream over WiFi - Playback from Bluetooth connected headphones or speakers - Text & Voice Search - Full Playback controls (save, shuffle, repeat, volume) - Access and play from Browse, Your Library, Recently Played"

Awesome! Thanks for the knowledge and the correction.

I got my girlfriend a series 4 Apple Watch with gps and cellular and she doesn’t even wear it

Thread Information