The future of smartwatches?
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: The future of smartwatches?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The future of smartwatches?

Garmin Introduces “Luxe” $1500 Fitness Smartwatch in Steel or Titanium | Watches By SJX

This, to me, makes more sense. Rather than trying to adapt the regular watch for connectivity...a task for which it is completely unsuited...package the smart watch in something that looks like a watch.

The major issue that strikes me, is the sticker price.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Re: The future of smartwatches?

Plenty of smart watches look like real watches. It's just that the Apple Watch is the only smart watch people know about unfortunately.

I think the ideal smart watch would be a combination of an Astron and Gear S2. Something solar but with smart watch functions.

The technology is probably already there but the only hurdle is the plateauing of battery tech. Once they find a battery cell that can power smart watch functions and can remain running with small amounts of sun they should have no problem replacing standard Quartz watches.
    BarracksSi likes this.

If "looks like a real watch" means having a round display to cut off half of my message viewing area and old-school springbars, I'd rather have something that looks different.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

51mm x 16mm .. Yikes!!
    I have a Garmin watch which is quite useful for my morning walk / run . It's also a basic golf
    App which is all I really need.
    Only problem with it is that it looks pretty ugly.
    I think they are onto the right tract with trying to make their watches a bit better looking but that is way too big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, Ireland & Almancil/Vale do Lobo/Quinta do Lago Council, Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatoes11 View Post
    Plenty of smart watches look like real watches. It's just that the Apple Watch is the only smart watch people know about unfortunately.

I think the ideal smart watch would be a combination of an Astron and Gear S2. Something solar but with smart watch functions.

The technology is probably already there but the only hurdle is the plateauing of battery tech. Once they find a battery cell that can power smart watch functions and can remain running with small amounts of sun they should have no problem replacing standard Quartz watches.
    good point. it may even make sense to use a combination of solar/kinetic technology.
    Keep calm and carry on.

Instagram https://www.instagram.com/paulo_8135

- Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000D
    - Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-7A2JF
    - Longines Flagship Chronograph
    - Omega Geneve
    - Seiko Premier SKP391P1
    - Tissot PR50 Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by paulopiper View Post
    good point. it may even make sense to use a combination of solar/kinetic technology.
    Solar has a lot better chance of fitting into the cramped space inside a smartwatch than a kinetic charging mechanism.

Here's a pic of Seiko's kinetic movement. The oscillating mass has to have enough mass to generate energy, and I don't think it can be made much smaller without losing its ability to power a charging circuit.

You can be sure all the smartwatch manufacturers are trying to make solar and kinetic happen, though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Killerstraps likes this.

With high priced smartwatches like this, I can't see a real market for them. Who wants to buy a smartwatch with planned obsolescence of 18 - 24 months. That's why the mechanical watch is going to be around for a long time. Just my 2 cents.
    Art Campbell likes this.

Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, Ireland & Almancil/Vale do Lobo/Quinta do Lago Council, Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by BigDuke View Post
    With high priced smartwatches like this, I can't see a real market for them. Who wants to buy a smartwatch with planned obsolescence of 18 - 24 months.
    At this price, agreed. At a coupe hundred, not agreed.
    Keep calm and carry on.

Instagram https://www.instagram.com/paulo_8135

- Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000D
    - Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-7A2JF
    - Longines Flagship Chronograph
    - Omega Geneve
    - Seiko Premier SKP391P1
    - Tissot PR50 Automatic

I think there will be more and more luxury versions of smartwatches, lot of buyers including me want a watch that is both smart and doesn't look like 5$ piece of molded PVC.

By future, if we take look at say, 6-10 years into the future.

Until they make a breakthrough with the battery the future smartwatches won't change much, but once it does then there will be lots of innovation.

Imagine a watch with lots of sensors including multiple cameras, so it can sense if you are at work, home, holiday or doing a sports... etc AND sense other devices/people around you. Opening Apps will be a thing of the past, the device will sense your environment and open the app or info' accordingly showing relevant info all the time. In fact rather then apps it could just pull down relevant info from the cloud (cloud is a fancy marketing for the internet), a little like what Tesla is doing with Auto-drive.

...not that everyone wants to wear such as device, maybe criminals could be forced to wear one to stop them from harming. Politicians would need to wear one.
    randb likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information