Garmin Fenix 5X questions
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Garmin Fenix 5X questions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Member Pedronev85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Colchester, Essex U.K
    Posts
    522

    Garmin Fenix 5X questions

    Hi All,

    Just after some advice if possible.

    Ive been interested in the Garmin range of watches for some time now and am considering purchasing the 5X but just have a question, all the info i see online regarding the maps heavily covers the use of hiking etc - im going to disneyland paris in March and hoping to get into the city at some point to have a wonder about. basically im wanting to know if the maps can be used in the city, eg if i get off a train and go for a walk about can i create a breadcrumb to follow to get me back to the train station or are the maps only useable off road for use on hiking trails?

    Hope that all makes sense, all info would be greatly appreciated :)

  2. #2
    Member kramer5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,676

    Re: Garmin Fenix 5X questions

    Curious... have you considered the Garmin epix? I am thinking about getting it. I like the square touch-screen interface, it just seems like it would be better for map viewing and viewing text messages.

    My understanding of the Garmin watches, is if theres a map for it... you can download it and it will impose GPS information "ontop" of it.

  3. #3
    Member Pedronev85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Colchester, Essex U.K
    Posts
    522

    Re: Garmin Fenix 5X questions

    Quote Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
    Curious... have you considered the Garmin epix? I am thinking about getting it. I like the square touch-screen interface, it just seems like it would be better for map viewing and viewing text messages.

    My understanding of the Garmin watches, is if theres a map for it... you can download it and it will impose GPS information "ontop" of it.
    No to be honest I haven't looked at much else... I had wanted the fenix 3 for some time then seen the 5x so been pretty much set on that since! Haven't had a Garmin or anything like this before... Currently have the tag heuer modular 45 but want something a bit more catered to fitness that also has maps and GPS tracking. I do football coaching and get nervous wearing the tag.

    I just don't want to purchase the 5x if the maps are only suitable for off road hiking



    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member 20DYNAMITE07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,102

    Re: Garmin Fenix 5X questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedronev85 View Post
    No to be honest I haven't looked at much else... I had wanted the fenix 3 for some time then seen the 5x so been pretty much set on that since! Haven't had a Garmin or anything like this before... Currently have the tag heuer modular 45 but want something a bit more catered to fitness that also has maps and GPS tracking. I do football coaching and get nervous wearing the tag.

    I just don't want to purchase the 5x if the maps are only suitable for off road hiking



    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    They offer more than just hiking navigation...

    I tried to embed this video, but it did not work. It shows some of the basic navigation features, including points of interest and so forth.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAjjzzOrqpU

    Raymond Weil Freelancer 2730-ST-65001 / Seiko Sumo SBDC001 / Maranez Layan / Deep Blue Ocean Diver 500 #110 / Deep Blue DayNight OPS #325 / Citizen BJ8050-59E "ECOZILLA"/ Citizen BL5345-59H Titanium / Citizen BL5280-52X / Skagen Chronograph 331XLSLB / Garmin Forerunner 305 / Timex IRONMAN 30 Lap T5K412 / Swatch Irony Chrono

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    191

    Re: Garmin Fenix 5X questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedronev85 View Post
    Hi All,

    Just after some advice if possible.

    Ive been interested in the Garmin range of watches for some time now and am considering purchasing the 5X but just have a question, all the info i see online regarding the maps heavily covers the use of hiking etc - im going to disneyland paris in March and hoping to get into the city at some point to have a wonder about. basically im wanting to know if the maps can be used in the city, eg if i get off a train and go for a walk about can i create a breadcrumb to follow to get me back to the train station or are the maps only useable off road for use on hiking trails?

    Hope that all makes sense, all info would be greatly appreciated :)
    yes it can do all without prep but if you want you can add points of interest and download apps that show train times etc from CIQ
    edit - do not get the epix it has been discontinued and is not supported.

  7. #6
    Member kramer5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,676

    Re: Garmin Fenix 5X questions

    Quote Originally Posted by aks12r View Post
    yes it can do all without prep but if you want you can add points of interest and download apps that show train times etc from CIQ
    edit - do not get the epix it has been discontinued and is not supported.
    Curious... in the Garmin eco-system what does it mean to no longer be supported? Does it mean they remote-terminate functions, or worse outright brick the device? or is it more of a gradual stepping away?... where they just leave it to slowly phase out, and sell off remaining inventory?

    I'm still eye-ing it from a distance. As long as I can still download trail maps, topo maps and use the watch to receive text message notifications. Do you think its still good for these more basic operations?

    thanks!!

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    191

    Re: Garmin Fenix 5X questions

    Quote Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
    Curious... in the Garmin eco-system what does it mean to no longer be supported? Does it mean they remote-terminate functions, or worse outright brick the device? or is it more of a gradual stepping away?... where they just leave it to slowly phase out, and sell off remaining inventory?

    I'm still eye-ing it from a distance. As long as I can still download trail maps, topo maps and use the watch to receive text message notifications. Do you think its still good for these more basic operations?

    thanks!!
    think of it in terms of a mobile phone - I have a Samsung s7 edge. 2 years ago it was cutting edge. Last year it was superseded by the s8, this year will be the s9 - however my phone is more than capable, working fine, has all the functions and a damn good camera and has the latest software but not the latest design / latest camera. 3 years from now it will be an outdated piece of crap I will have traded in for a new model or sold off to eBay or something similar.
    Smart watches are the same process, they will stop updating at some point as the technology moves on but they will still function just fine & there are lots of developers still making new apps / widgets / data screens and watchfaces for the garmin f3 which was released 3 or 4(?) years ago and they are still selling the F3 at retailers. Garmin are also required by law to stock parts and provide tech support for several years after they stop manufacturing to deal any manufacturer problems on units.

    The 5x only came out last year so should be good for 3-4 years in terms of updates and probably even longer in terms of function.... but one day in the future, you will see a shiny shiny Garmin Fenix Alpha X, with 3D hologram phone display and an x-ray flashlight and a VR simulator built in and you'll be able to drive your own car with it whilst ordering pizza....
    Name:  car_beep.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  55.3 KB
    umarrajs likes this.

  9. #8
    Member kramer5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,676

    Re: Garmin Fenix 5X questions

    Thanks... thats some "reassurance" kind of information I was looking for.

    So much of the smart-watch industry is geared to hype new releases, but no one really cares about longevity, sustained support and how well the designs phase out of production.

    Garmin seems like one of the few companies who cares. Perhaps because so many of their customers (military and civilian) trust their products with their lives and livelihoods.

    thanks

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    177

    Re: Garmin Fenix 5X questions

    I like it, Ive been eyeing one hard but tough to justify.

  11. #10
    Member Besbro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    416

    Re: Garmin Fenix 5X questions

    Can't help much regarding the maps but I did own a Fenix 3 and sold it only to replace it with the Fenix 5s. Love both of them.

    Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Garmin Fenix 3 - the only stupid question...
      By Rex3 in forum Digital & ABC watches
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: May 16th, 2017, 22:16
    2. Garmin fenix - An Ongoing Review in Several Parts
      By gaijin in forum Digital & ABC watches
      Replies: 1343
      Last Post: January 11th, 2016, 20:30
    3. Garmin fenix - newbie questions
      By iedutu in forum Digital & ABC watches
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: April 12th, 2013, 16:41
    4. Garmin Fenix - Will it be the Ambit Killer ???
      By RobGrinter in forum Suunto
      Replies: 267
      Last Post: January 31st, 2013, 01:19
    5. Question about my Garmin Fenix
      By eah990 in forum Digital & ABC watches
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: October 21st, 2012, 06:12

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •