Get rid of Android Wear's frickin' icons?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wolfsatz

Thread: Get rid of Android Wear's frickin' icons?

Get rid of Android Wear's frickin' icons?

Greetings,

I have a cheap Android Wear watch that I just want to use as a watch with customized faces. That's it. I don't want to get my mail on the watch, I don't want to use it as a fitness tracker, I don't want to make or answer phone calls with hand gestures, etc - I just want to use it as a watch, enjoy the watch faces that come with Android Wear, enjoy the custom watch faces that others have designed, and possibly even design a few myself.

The problem is that whenever the watch is out of range from my Android tablet (to which it is associated) an annoying "broken cloud" icon appears, which in turn blemishes the watch's face.

Putting the watch into "Airplane Mode" (which has the side benefit of extending battery life) makes the cloud icon disappear, only to be replaced by an only-slightly-less annoying "plane" icon. Which also proceeds to blemish the watch's face.

Does anyone know of a way to suppress these icons, short of having to carry my tablet around everywhere I might want to wear the watch?

Regards,

Frank
    Like Heisenberg might say, my watch collection is indeterminate at this time....

Re: Get rid of Android Wear's frickin' icons?

that issue is there even on the most expensive Android wear watches.
    Best solution. Wear a real watch!
    BarracksSi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsatz View Post
    that issue is there even on the most expensive Android wear watches.
    Best solution. Wear a real watch!
    Already got plenty of those. Variety is the spice of life!

Or in this case. the vinegar...
    Like Heisenberg might say, my watch collection is indeterminate at this time....

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yeah... it woud be a very easy solution for Andriod to solve. But it is very rooted in the OS itself.

many have tried to hide it. I am not aware of any one succeeding.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankFlapjack View Post
    Greetings,

I have a cheap Android Wear watch that I just want to use as a watch with customized faces. That's it. I don't want to get my mail on the watch, I don't want to use it as a fitness tracker, I don't want to make or answer phone calls with hand gestures, etc - I just want to use it as a watch, enjoy the watch faces that come with Android Wear, enjoy the custom watch faces that others have designed, and possibly even design a few myself.

The problem is that whenever the watch is out of range from my Android tablet (to which it is associated) an annoying "broken cloud" icon appears, which in turn blemishes the watch's face.

Putting the watch into "Airplane Mode" (which has the side benefit of extending battery life) makes the cloud icon disappear, only to be replaced by an only-slightly-less annoying "plane" icon. Which also proceeds to blemish the watch's face.

Does anyone know of a way to suppress these icons, short of having to carry my tablet around everywhere I might want to wear the watch?

Regards,

Frank
    Re-bumping this now that Android Wear 2.0 has been released. I FINALLY received AW2.0 on my Huawei watch, but was disappointed to discover that this problem still exists. Has anyone discovered a way to suppress these annoying icons in AW2.0? (Or alternately, a way to move them to a less interfering/obnoxious location than high noon?)

Frank

PARTIAL ANSWER!

For: alternately, a way to move them to a less interfering/obnoxious location than high noon?

Less than an hour after re-ranting about this, someone pointed out to me that the latest version of Watchmaker Pro (Build #4.2.4, and possibly builds before this) have a feature that allows use to reposition the icons. Select your desired watch face, and navigate to Customize Watch > Indicators. You can toggle the icon background on/off (off is infinitely better IMHO) and select from a limited grid of new positions. For almost every watch face that I have, relocating the icons to the center position makes them less noticeable (and the icons all but disappear if your watch hands are white). The middle position is hit-or-miss depending on any text/decorations/complications that might be present in that space. But the results are almost always better than high-noon placement....

Frank

Seems like someone at Google was listening to this thread. My moto 360 on the latest android wear is defective... in that I no longer receive any notifications. I just leave bluetooth radio turned on in the background. It is still connected to my phone and I do not have any cloud icon on the watch face. Yet its as dumb as a knob on a door, since it no longer receives any notifications.

Its a good thing because my watch no longer buzzes and vibratres like crazy during a text conversation, or a group text session. Its bad in that I can miss incoming texts.

shrug

Thread Information