Google to acquire Fitbit
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Yukoner1
  • 1 Post By X2-Elijah

Thread: Google to acquire Fitbit

Moderator German Watches Forum

Google to acquire Fitbit

Today Google announced an agreement to acquire Fitbit.

You can read the announcement there --> Google to acquire Fitbit

What this means for the future products I don't know.

Thanks,
    rationaltime

Re: Google to acquire Fitbit

I'm very curious to see what Google's strategy is here. Fitbit isn't really about an OS, and it's a slightly different market (wearables, fitness trackers) than Google's current offerings (so-so smartwatches). There's not a lot of intersection or synergies to be gained by the acquisition other than maybe just buying Fitbit's health monitoring technology for implementation into more traditional smartwatches.

Death of the FitBit.

That's it. That's what's going to happen.

Google bought the company for the IP. This happens quite often in the tech world, where it's cheaper to just buy someone else's IP who's "already figured it out" instead of investing time and money into your own R&D. They will take elements of the FitBit and integrate it into their own offering. What will happen is FitBit will slowly stop introducing new products, where Google will start coming out with newer and better versions of theirs.

Is that a "bad" thing ? Well, it all depends, and there's no way to tell until we see it unfold.
    X2-Elijah likes this.
    Before you ask, yes, I've seen -45 degrees (both Celsius and Fahrenheit)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Meatshield the Yeti View Post
    I'm very curious to see what Google's strategy is here. Fitbit isn't really about an OS, and it's a slightly different market (wearables, fitness trackers) than Google's current offerings (so-so smartwatches). There's not a lot of intersection or synergies to be gained by the acquisition other than maybe just buying Fitbit's health monitoring technology for implementation into more traditional smartwatches.
    There's also Fitbit's user base and all the cross-marketing opportunities it represents.

Google said it wouldn't use data from Nest in its marketing, either. Yeah right.

Not a fan of either fitbit or WearOS. Hopefully this purchase, combined with their IP buyout of Fossil will somehow result in an Android based wearable thats actually good. Its an interesting connection between two opposite ends of the spectrum. On one hand its an all out fitness ecosystem, with limited "smarts" and on the other it's an entire "smart" eco system with no good hardware to support it.

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds. But in all honesty I am not expecting much. Google hasn't done anything with that Fossil purchase. I would expect this to be more of the same. Although I have to admit WearOS on my Gen4 explorist seems much more stable lately.

I have always believed fitness devices in this segment are primarily personal data harvesters for the developers. They market them very cleverly to the masses to sugar coat this aspect behind smoke and mirrors. I think thats what this is really about, Google extending its personal data harvest deeper into a new segment of population. So Google now owns personal fitness data from the masses and can sell it. Whatever new hardware comes out of this is smoke, mirrors and a pretty face to the reality.
    Last edited by kramer5150; November 3rd, 2019 at 17:17.

Saw the news yesterday. Approx a month after jumping onboard with Fitbit's ecosystem (tracker, scales, app). ... Siiiiiiigh.

Not happy about this buyout.

Firstly - imo Google did this mainly to get access to a huge dataset of people's health and habits. Google has officially said that they "won't use the health data to target ads to users" but... that's like 1% of the potential ways for google to profit off of this.

Second - Fitbit is not really doing products that give a good base for the android watch OS. Fitbit's better at smaller trackers.. There's little to no crossover between the watches google tried to support (wearOS) and the bands/watches fitbit made.

Third - google's main problem with their WearOS watches (made by fossil etc.) was the hardware, namely, lack of dedicated processors. Quallcom made the only on-market chipsets, and they were rebadged old mobile phone CPUs - so stupidly energy hungry and slower than the custom chips Apple and Samsung made for themselves... Google's acquisition of Fitbit does NOT resolve this fundamental issue - Fitbit also doesn't build any processors, they buy off-shelf ARM chips and strongly reduce their OS features to get good battery life / performance.
    This to me implies that google did not buy Fitbit to benefit their own WearOS system - there was another reason behind all this. (meaning, access to user data).

I guess my next health/fitness tracker is going to be a garmin or something.
    BarracksSi likes this.
    Wearing: Borealis Estoril DW-Blue
    + always on wrist: Fitbit Inspire HR

Obviously done to acquire pebble OS ;)
    Davosa,Omega speedy reduced, Seiko(6) ,Orient (3),Citizen (3) GShocks(8), Pebble Time smartwatches (2) are my poison on a Skinny 5 and 3/4 inch wrist

$2.1 Billion is nothing to sneeze at. Google is going to use anything and everything under the sun to recover and turn a profit on this investment. Don't believe anything they say or publish on this matter. This is not an industry founded/rooted in honesty or integrity... its all about $$$, profitability, revenue and pleasing investors.

Re-downloaded the Fitbit app just to do this:

Tap profile icon ->
    Privacy and Security: Manage Data ->
    Delete Account ->
    Enter password ->
    Confirm via email.

Thread Information