To the guys who hate smart watches and to the ones who wear G-shocks
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: To the guys who hate smart watches and to the ones who wear G-shocks

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

To the guys who hate smart watches and to the ones who wear G-shocks

Why do you prefer G-shocks?
    as we could see smart watches as an evolution to electronic and functional watches like the T-Touch and they are much better and of more use and better looking than G-shocks and kind.

Re: To the guys who hate smart watches and to the ones who wear G-shocks

I'm sure you'll get some flak for this (they can be a tough audience here), but I think your post contains a valid question.

I was thinking something similar just last night. I have a G-Shock that is about seven years old now.

It's atomic and solar powered. Basically, I pulled it out of the box seven years ago, and haven't had to do a thing to it since. Of course, the best part is that it is always dead-on time to a few milliseconds. It also has some vaguely useful functions and some completely pointless (to me).

While looking at this watch last night, I glanced at my Apple Watch. The seconds hand was also dead-on. And, of course, the function set of the smart watch far exceeds that of the G-Shock. Given that both are electronic, and don't have that "soul" that is often referred to when discussing mechanical pieces, does this not detract somewhat from the value of fully electronic watches?

Of course, the whole thing about G-Shock is their ruggedness, and that's where they will still shine over a full-on smart watch, but I must admit there is a little part of me that sees less attraction to digital G-Shocks because of the encroachment of the smart watch.

That's just my opinion, and I will watch this thread with interest!

Because a G-Shock, especially a solar-atomic one, is completely hands-off and maintenance-free. A smartwatch still needs occasional charging.

(speaking as another person who has both)
    Nietzsche_Darko likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've also had both and BarracksSi is correct. With a g-shock you just strap it on. Nothing will really damage it, it's always on time, the date is always correct and they are comfortable. However, after purchasing the Apple Watch, it is so useful, built with excellent quality, etc. that I've sold my g-shocks. I've only purchased one g-shock since the first apple watch was released. I tried the first bluetooth g-shock and it was useless, maybe the newer connected ones are better.

I don't think an apple watch is better looking than a G-Shock, say a GW-5000, I find them both to be equally ugly.
    88Keys and CFI care like this.

With g-shock you get a tough watch with practically 0 maintenance. You can take it to the beach, mountains trekking, snow etc. without thinking about it. Plus the g-shocks have a Sci-Fi look. I wear mine normally with a sports outfit, during weekends and when going on the beach.

I just don't have a use for a smartwatch. I have my phone on me all the time, there really aren't many times when I couldn't use my phone when I otherwise would be poking around on my SmartWatch. As much as I love technology and love and I'm addicted to my smartphone, I just want a regular watch on my wrist.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Glashütte Senator Sixties Panodate Green
    Triton Subphotique
    Rolex Datejust 16013 Buckley
    RGM Diver 300
    Casio G-Shock full metal steel

Quote Originally Posted by 41Mets View Post
    I just don't have a use for a smartwatch. I have my phone on me all the time, there really aren't many times when I couldn't use my phone when I otherwise would be poking around on my SmartWatch. As much as I love technology and love and I'm addicted to my smartphone, I just want a regular watch on my wrist.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    So.... what about your G-Shock?

I wear G-Shocks for simplicity and ruggedness (and battery life for the Solar versions).

I actually started a thread looking for a band/case that would make an Apple Watch mimic one of my G-Shocks, but there weren't many replies. All the ones I've seen/read about seem to get crappy reviews for various reasons.

I'm a big fan of automatic watches. I bought an apple watch back in May and have been wearing it daily and i can't figure out why. Something about the combination of how it fits well under a dress shirt and the fitness tracking I think. I'm hoping this is just a phase that I grow out of.
    Fer Guzman and Jollytron like this.

Any smart watch will be obsolete in about 3 years. G-shocks are evergreen and just plain cool.

Name:  gshock.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  114.4 KB
    Omega | Universal Geneve | Breitling/DPW | Hamilton | Citizen | Vertigo | G-Shock

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information