I HAD NO INTEREST IN SMART WATCHES .....SO I THOUGHT
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By JParanee

Thread: I HAD NO INTEREST IN SMART WATCHES .....SO I THOUGHT

I HAD NO INTEREST IN SMART WATCHES .....SO I THOUGHT

Even thought my kids and my wife love their Apple watches and I’ve watched my clients hang up their Rolex’s for these technical marvels I’ve always said no way to the many prompts from people to get a smart watch.

recently I’ve been in the market for a new dive watch

now we all know these days that dive computers have long replaced the classic dive watch

now my diving is all free-diving spearfishing oriented

so my search had me looking at dive watches that are oriented toward that endeavor

that requires a dive watch that keeps surface time, dive time and depth

now a few of the new dive watches\computers have an apnea mode

I decided on a Oceanic F10 and even ordered it and started using it in training

the one thing that nagged at me is that in all the spearfishing freedive chat forums and in the dive shops I spoke with the big rage is the Garmin MK1 Smart Watch Dive computer

so I returned the Oceanic gotta love Amazon for returns and ordered the MK1 in Titanium

well i I just returned from a spearfishing trip to Southern California and Baja and all I can say is I’m Impressed

I won’t be selling my classic dive watches anyone soon but for my outdoor activities such as boating, diving and hunting the GPS is awesome

as a free-dive Apnea spearfishing watch it is golden

here is the big surprise for me though. The smart watch features and functions were really useful

it was great to get my texts on the watch while my phone was in my gear bag. As a travel watch it was superlative. It was great to see it self adjust to the correct time as soon as I turned my phone on when my plane landed

battery life was exceptional only charging it briefly on a 5 day trip with two all day dive days

btw the link to my phone keeping track of my heart rate while training is very cool and being able to keep track of laps and pool time in training was very beneficial

amazing how you can loose track of laps in a pool in an hour

the surface timer in apnea diving is critical and yes you can use a regular watch to time your surface dives having a computer remind you to be safe is plain smart

so I guess in the end I’m a smart watch fan even though it’s not the number one watch in the world the Apple Watch

Here are some pics of the recent trip and I’ve left out dead fish pics because I’ve learned that on the watch forum they seem to not like dead stuff and I don’t want to get the thread shut down before it starts

CTSteve, Katakuri17, osamu and 1 others like this.

Re: I HAD NO INTEREST IN SMART WATCHES .....SO I THOUGHT

Smart watches are the tool watches of the 21st century. If you think about it, most loved traditional watches nowadays were actually tool watches in their days.

Quote Originally Posted by JParanee View Post
    I won’t be selling my classic dive watches anyone soon but for my outdoor activities such as boating, diving and hunting the GPS is awesome

here is the big surprise for me though. The smart watch features and functions were really useful
    You've come to the same realization that I have - smartwatches have a ton of usefulness when it comes to tracking things like heart rate, fitness activities, etc. The metrics you get from that are actually useful in daily life, and once you start using them, you become accustomed to having that data readily and easily available.

And I also agree with you, my "traditional" watches aren't being sold or hung up anytime soon. As I've said in previous posts, I see a watch as much as a piece of jewelry as it is a time-keeping device. Smartwatches certainly at the aesthetic level of higher end traditional watches, so, to me anyways, they're still two very different and mutually exclusively distinct things.
    Before you ask, yes, I've seen -45 degrees (both Celsius and Fahrenheit)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've been a fan of my current smartwatch (a Samsung Galaxy) but I've been eyeing some of the Garmins. I used to have a problem with them because their displays were really hard to read in daylight, but they look like they've been getting a lot better. And that MK1 is awful pretty.

Nice!! welcome to the club! Hard to beat a Garmin smart/sport watch IMHO. Great all around tools.

Thread Information