I Have Very Mixed Feelings about "Smart" Watches
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: I Have Very Mixed Feelings about "Smart" Watches

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I Have Very Mixed Feelings about "Smart" Watches

Over the past few years I've seen more and more smart watches on the wrists of my patients and I can't help but have mixed feelings about them. I can't deny the sheer utility if not outright need to have a smart watch for athletes of all levels as well as the weekend warrior and perhaps even for the sedentary average Joe. Having access to masses of biometric data collected 24/7 for days, weeks and months on end can certainly help the individual and would be invaluable for epidemiological studies. However, we already live in a world where everything is fighting for our attention and we more and more are not truly present in the now. What is this doing to our lives? Our interpersonal relationships? Our mental health and overall satisfaction with life? At gatherings with friends and family look around and you will see that it seems as if people may appear to be present, but are really waiting for that next notification to come across their smart phone and now, their smart watch which is even more intrusive since it cannot be as easily ignored. What do you think?

Re: I Have Very Mixed Feelings about "Smart" Watches

The level of notifications can be tuned up or down based on the need and the moment. For instance, when in vacation, you wouldn’t need to be notified about the upcoming meeting at work so you can disable the calendar notifications.
    It may be that in the beginning most people would use the default settings but after a while they would figure it out what they need from the smart watch.

The dummy of the modern age.
    If I fail to reply to your inane post just assume you are on the ignore list.

I bought a knackered clock.... https://carlsclock.blogspot.com/ Updated 29/4/19

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I’ve no time for them and will probably never own one but my wife wanted one for Christmas so I got her one and she loves it, doesn’t even answer the phone anymore. I do however see more and more of them and acknowledge that they’re probably a good thing but I have to stay loyal to my little peaceful mechanical buddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    The dummy of the modern age.
    Can you elaborate on that?

Quote Originally Posted by panzerr View Post
    Can you elaborate on that?
    Yes.

People are very much getting in to using them to the point that they seem unable to function without for any period of time. How often are you out with people who are constantly checking notifications? It is not a necessity of life, people though are making it so and rationalising it as such. We do not need to be in touch immediately as is being suggested through these devices. When you are working contact is important and can make a job run smoother. Yet, how many out there are extending this in to their daily lives? it is not needed but the self important out there believe it is so. Perhaps people are seeking meaning by being constantly in contact and contactable instantly.
    I moved from England to France and the differing attitude to these devices is interesting. Where in England it is now seen as acceptable to constantly using your devices when in social company it is frowned on here as you are in social company so any use is generally discreet and people will either put them away or leave the room to use them.
    Yes, the dummy for the modern age, now that the watch with notifications is available the ability to be rude in company is so much easier, just glance down every time you get a notification to let those whom you are with know they are boring you!

I do not dismiss their use. I dismiss those who use them without regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    Perhaps people are seeking meaning by being constantly in contact and contactable instantly.
    My thoughts as well.

I also can't help but equate the behavior to one of Pavlov's dogs. Stimulus-Response-Stimulus-Response.

I moved from England to France and the differing attitude to these devices is interesting. Where in England it is now seen as acceptable to constantly using your devices when in social company it is frowned on here as you are in social company so any use is generally discreet and people will either put them away or leave the room to use them.
    Yes, the dummy for the modern age, now that the watch with notifications is available the ability to be rude in company is so much easier, just glance down every time you get a notification to let those whom you are with know they are boring you!
    Perhaps it's past time for social norms to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by panzerr View Post
    My thoughts as well.

I also can't help but equate the behavior to one of Pavlov's dogs. Stimulus-Response-Stimulus-Response.

Perhaps it's past time for social norms to catch up.
    To catch up in what respect? Accept the behaviour or educate those doing it? My social norm is that it is unacceptable.

The inappropriate use of any distracting devices is a symptom of the lack of education and not a blame of the device itself. Anyone can tune out notifications when attending a social event/meeting. The fact that many do not is an education issue.

Quote Originally Posted by utzelu View Post
    The inappropriate use of any distracting devices is a symptom of the lack of education and not a blame of the device itself. Anyone can tune out notifications when attending a social event/meeting. The fact that many do not is an education issue.
    Everything is education, is education with a big stick acceptable?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information