I think I'm done with Smart Watches
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: I think I'm done with Smart Watches

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I think I'm done with Smart Watches

So being a watch nut and gadget freak (sad – as DT would say), thought the smartwatch was the ultimate. Started with the Pebble Classic, then Pebble Time, then on demise of Pebble tried Android Wear on Asus Zen Watch 2. Struggled with rubbish battery life and blank screen half the time for about 6 months before finally giving up and going back to my Pebble Time. So 2 years of this has taught me;

Most apps are unnecessary except – silent alarm which is brilliant, steps, sleep tracking and notifications. That’s all I need. Thought that being able to read emails on my watch was great at first but then realised it was the tail wagging the dog. Got fed up with constantly checking my watch so turned email notifications off on the basis that you don’t need to check emails more than once or twice a day – bliss - a good discipline. Phone calls, texts and WhatsApp notifications are fine – don’t do Facebook, Twitter etc.

But I really missed my beloved Seikos so Seiko on left wrist and Pebble Time on my right – a bit naff. Then I realised that fitness bands provide pretty much all I need. Fitbit ok but I think the Mi Band 2 is really good value. Costs around £25, small and discrete on right wrist, excellent silent alarm, Caller ID, Steps, Sleep Tracking, Texts and WhatsApp, and last but by no means least great battery life. Sorted. So long Apple.

Cheers

Jez
    arogle1stus and lvt like this.

Re: I think I'm done with Smart Watches

The fact that you are a watch nut makes you unsuitable for smartwatches. They are worn most of the time by non-WIS who don't give a damn about watches. We are much more demanding when it comes to smartwatches from the design and aesthetics point of view.
    lvt, Smol5146 and Morris Day like this.

Wooohooo well done and congrats, you’ve got yourself together, I think wus needs a sort of confidential meeting program for smart watch users to help people who have strayed off the path.stay strong brother
    arogle1stus likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jspeakman View Post
    Sorted. So long Apple.
    Apple? But you didn’t have an Apple, did you?

Personally, I’ve settled into a perfectly acceptable way to combine both. I mostly wear my mechanicals during the day, except for working out, or when I feel I need the convenience of the smart watch (for example, when likely to be having to deal with lots of quick interactions that I can deal with by talking to my watch). Come bedtime, the smart watch goes back on for sleep tracking and seeing the time easily in the middle of the night.
    Last edited by 88Keys; October 26th, 2017 at 06:51.

Smart.
    MIKE

I love my AW but, truth be told, whenever someone wants a smartwatch, the first question that pops into my head is, “And what exactly do you want a smartwatch for?” From the moment Apple’s first keynote presentation ended, I knew exactly what I wanted the AW for, and exactly what I *didn’t* want it for.

I think people have a vague sence of “more productive! more convenient!” but at this early in the existence of smartwatches, I don’t think people have thought out how they need a computer on their wrist work and function for them.
    BarracksSi likes this.

I have a lot of thoughts on smartwatches, positive and negative, but I will spare you. Not many remember the Glance. It was a regular watch add-on that died on the vine back in 2014. I was quite excited about it since it would have allowed users to have most of what's good about smartwatches but not have to give up their regular watches, or go two wristed.

https://betakit.com/torontos-kiwi-we...gular-watches/

I am still optimistic about smartwatch technology but I really think people need to get over the notion that although you can read War and Peace on your watch, it really isn't a good idea.
    Last edited by HerrNano; October 26th, 2017 at 11:19.
    Aidy likes this.
    If you never believe in anything, you'll never be disappointed.

WISers:
    I'm old (80 y o) and hard headed toward Smart Watches.
    Didn't need em in 1949 when I bought my 1st hand cranker,
    don't need or want one NOW!
    I'm the only one in my family that hasn't seccumbed to the
    pizzaz of Smart Watches.

Smart Watches. Fie on em!!!

X Traindriver Art
    lvt, Aidy and trueairspeed like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HerrNano View Post
    I am still optimistic about smartwatch technology but I really think people need to get over the notion that although you can read War and Peace on your watch, it really isn't a good idea.
    Of. course, but it’s only the uninformed about smart watches who may have that notion—and it’s usually non smart watch users thinking that’s what users are wanting to do.

Quote Originally Posted by 88Keys View Post
    Apple? But you didn’t have an Apple, did you?

Personally, I’ve settled into a perfectly acceptable way to combine both. I mostly wear my mechanicals during the day, except for working out, or when I feel I need the convenience of the smart watch (for example, when likely to be having to deal with lots of quick interactions that I can deal with by talking to my watch). Come bedtime, the smart watch goes back on for sleep tracking and seeing the time easily in the middle of the night.
    I must admit I am going the same way. Seiko of choice on left wrist and Mi Band 2 on right for steps and basic notifications during the day. Pebble Time goes on left at night as good nightlight and time when needed, excellent silent alarm and sleep tracking. Someone said recently that smart watches have no soul, even the AW. It seems to me they lack the X factor of mechanical watches I have loved and flipped and still miss, although my new flame, Seiko Alpinist I think is the one!

Cheers

Jez

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information