Luxury Smartwatches
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By BarracksSi
  • 1 Post By utzelu

Thread: Luxury Smartwatches

Luxury Smartwatches

Hi everyone,

I’m new to the forum! I’m passionate about technology and traditional watches at the same time.

I’d like to hear your opinion on luxury smartwatches, I’m mainly asking to those who already own a smartwatch.

After TAG Heuer, LV and Mont Blanc, also Hublot has announced (although in a limited edition) that it will launch a smartwatch during the FIFA World Cup.

What are your thoughts on this trend? Would you buy one of these watches if you could?

I think I would buy the TAG smartwatch, which, since it is modular, it can be turned into a mechanical watch (TAG even sells bundles with both the smart and the mechanical module)

The problems of these products are quite straightforward: battery life, technology obsolescence and the impossibility to “leave it” to someone after you (let’s say your son or nephew).

While I think that for Hublot and LV it’s more of a Marketing action, TAG seems to firmly believe in this project.

What do you think? Would you buy a luxury smartwatch?

Re: Luxury Smartwatches

I think this trend will spawn limited editions mainly because there is not much of a market for luxury smart watches.

These devices are driven by the software mainly and the watch industry simply lacks the expertise in this area and has no funds to invest. Surely the Tag has the best looking smart watch on the market IMO, but it has less functionality than a Samsung S3 or Apple Watch.

About the obsolescence, I don’t think anymore this is an issue since for the price of a luxury watch you can buy the next upgraded smart watch for a lifetime. Passing the watch down to kids... I prefer to pass him a good education instead of spending their college fund for a watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by utzelu View Post
    These devices are driven by the software mainly and the watch industry simply lacks the expertise in this area and has no funds to invest. Surely the Tag has the best looking smart watch on the market IMO, but it has less functionality than a Samsung S3 or Apple Watch.
    This x 1000. TAG basically farmed out the tech to Google (Android Wear) and Intel to end up with something no more functional than any sub-$200 smartwatch.

(in TAG's case, it's not too different from dropping a base level SW200 into their $1500 Aquaracers...)

If they want to be worth the luxury price, they need to offer a luxury level of functionality. It's hard, though, and I'm not sure that enough people understand how hard it is. Apple and Android Wear have significant support from third-party application writers, who use software development kits (SDKs) to code their apps and distribute them through already-established online channels. Samsung even wrote their own flavor of an operating system; it's got its own issues, but it's arguably more "in-house" than anything TAG has done.

Oh, and there's the silicon itself (off-the-shelf? or customized?)... and the physical engineering of the interior... and the display technology...
    huntflyer likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post

If they want to be worth the luxury price, they need to offer a luxury level of functionality. It's hard, though, and I'm not sure that enough people understand how hard it is. Apple and Android Wear have significant support from third-party application writers, who use software development kits (SDKs) to code their apps and distribute them through already-established online channels. Samsung even wrote their own flavor of an operating system; it's got its own issues, but it's arguably more "in-house" than anything TAG has done.
    Not to mention that Apple has its own medical and fitness laboratory where it does the R&D. And the AI will also be a big differentiation. It is a completely different domain than watchmaking and it is moving at a pace the Swiss are not used to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    BarracksSi likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    This x 1000. TAG basically farmed out the tech to Google (Android Wear) and Intel to end up with something no more functional than any sub-$200 smartwatch.

(in TAG's case, it's not too different from dropping a base level SW200 into their $1500 Aquaracers...)

Oh, and there's the silicon itself (off-the-shelf? or customized?)... and the physical engineering of the interior... and the display technology...
    100% correct. They should have really done more r&d on UX/UI for smart watches that are north of $1000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thread Information