My buddy is looking for a smart watch
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: My buddy is looking for a smart watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My buddy is looking for a smart watch

My friend is looking for a smart watch. He asked me if i knew any thing about them ..... I don’t. Smart watches are way out of this farmers league . So I will put the question out to you guys. What’s a good smart watch for around 150 usd that can be purchased on amazon that can work with an android and give notifications from “my fitness pal”.

I litaraly have no clue about any of this stuff so any help would be great.

Re: My buddy is looking for a smart watch

With a Fitbit Versa, you can customize which apps send push notifications to the watch. Plus you can sync activity and food logs between My Fitness Pal and the Fitbit app. Not sure of all the differences between the Versa and Versa Lite, except that the Lite does not have onboard music capabilities. It can last 2.5-3 days on one charge, depending on usage. I find it uses around 1% per hour with passive use.

For around $150 USD, take a look at a G-Shock fitness watch.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/wearab...-gbd-800-news/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like that one.

My favorite is the Garmin Vivofit 2, but it's old tech at this point. Takes a couple of tries to sync with a device, and app isn't super well built, but it uses a watch battery instead of needing to be charged and has a screen with constant watch face.

I suggest visit closest BestBuy, smart watch stand in sporting goods place, Fossil store or Samsung stand at best buy.
    Try it see how it fits and pick one. There are plenty of different styles, functionality and implementation.
    Professionals (or hopefully professionals) will explain, let your friend try them and show how it works.
    Not sure what is "my fitness pal" is and what is on it's list of supported devices. Good strategy is to contact their customer support and ask.
    It should be special!

Maybe Prime day has something on sale!? I had a Vivofit and got some good use out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwayslate707 View Post
    My friend is looking for a smart watch. He asked me if i knew any thing about them ..... I don’t. Smart watches are way out of this farmers league . So I will put the question out to you guys. What’s a good smart watch for around 150 usd that can be purchased on amazon that can work with an android and give notifications from “my fitness pal”.

I litaraly have no clue about any of this stuff so any help would be great.
    MyFitnessPal is a fitness tracking app that also has social aspects. You can have friends participate with you as you log your workouts. Have your buddy change his password on it, though, since it was revealed last week that it was hacked. (this affected all the Under Armour-owned fitness apps, too)

For $150, he's not gonna get actionable notifications (i.e., being able to reply to them). According to MyFitnessPal's page, Garmin wearables are not compatible (Garmin has their own Garmin Connect platform), but Fitbit is compatible:
    https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/custom...-myfitnesspal-

In that case, one option that might be okay would be a Fitbit Charge. My wife has an older Charge HR that she uses for workouts, and it'll tell her when someone texts or calls, although she still needs to user her phone to do anything. They're up to a Charge 3 now.
    https://www.fitbit.com/charge3

Things I look out for when choosing a smartwatch:
    Some watches do and some don't have GPS built-in. It's nice if they do because then you can track outdoor movements without taking your phone along with you.
    They don't all have a heart-rate monitor. If it's for fitness purposes the lack of one could well be a game-breaker. OTOH serious fitness fans might wear a discrete HR sensor on a chest band.
    Some are difficult to buy replacement/alternative straps for. Should your friend be a dedicated follower of fashion, that might be important.
    Some smartwatches can be loaded with .MP3 files. The watch can then be paired with a bluetooth headset and your friend can listen to music or downloaded podcasts or audiobooks while out running/cycling.
    For me, personally, it's important that my smartwatch be round. I will not wear a square one.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Hager626 View Post
    For around $150 USD, take a look at a G-Shock fitness watch.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/wearab...-gbd-800-news/
    Within the USA they can probably be bought for a fair bit less than $150. They tick a lot of my boxes but they are "quite large". I also like to install different watch faces. AFAIK that can't be done with G-shock.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information