Need advice about smart watch with IPxx
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Need advice about smart watch with IPxx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need advice about smart watch with IPxx

Hello
    Recently i decide to buy smart watch with ability to receive calls (with SIM card). Very often at sea or just on a picnic near the water, its uncomfortable to me to carry a phone in my pocket. I want to find a suitable variant of the smart watch that can receive a call (or at least show that somebody is calling), but that the watch itself can easily withstand swimming and diving without scuba. Are there any matches? Thanks and sorry for English

lvt

Re: Need advice about smart watch with IPxx

So you need a standalone smartwatch and a separate SIM card for it.
    Ball - Casio / G-shock - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Seiko - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    So you need a standalone smartwatch and a separate SIM card for it.
    Yeah? I want a smart watch which can receive calls itself without connected smartphone.
    What I found till now - samsung gear 3 and LG watch Urbane. Both have IP68, but I dont know how about swim with them. Maybe someone have this models and can say some words about functionality and resistance to water during swimming

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sorry to tell you this but what you are looking for doesn't exist. The most water resistant smartwatch with cellular capability is only rated to about 1.5m static immersion max. This means no movement, controlled conditions, room temperature water, 30 minutes or less exposure time.

The SIM slot itself, assuming it has a slot, would be vulnerable to water intrusion. Is there one yet that uses a "software SIM"?

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    The SIM slot itself, assuming it has a slot, would be vulnerable to water intrusion. Is there one yet that uses a "software SIM"?
    My Samsung Gear S2 Classic is IP67 rated and has an embedded eSIM. I believe the newer Gear S3s do as well.
    BarracksSi likes this.
    Contact Info:
    Telegram: MoT
    Text: 6124245149
    WhatsApp: +16124245149
    'You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.' - Ray Bradbury
    'Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of debate, discussion, and dissent.' - H.H.H.
    I love deals on watches!

Quote Originally Posted by matlobi View Post
    My Samsung Gear S2 Classic is IP67 rated and has an embedded eSIM. I believe the newer Gear S3s do as well.
    Carrier locked, not really rated for immersion, cannot function as a truly independent device.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokifish View Post
    1. Carrier locked, 2.not really rated for immersion, 3.cannot function as a truly independent device.
    1. They are available unlocked, or can be unlocked.

2. Not for OPs intended use no, but it is submersible up to 1m.

3. Yes it can. I own one. I've done it many times. It has it's own phone number and full voice and data capabilities including calls, texting, etc.
    BarracksSi likes this.
    Contact Info:
    'You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.' - Ray Bradbury
    'Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of debate, discussion, and dissent.' - H.H.H.
    I love deals on watches!

Quote Originally Posted by matlobi View Post
    1. They are available unlocked, or can be unlocked.

2. Not for OPs intended use no, but it is submersible up to 1m.

3. Yes it can. I own one. I've done it many times. It has it's own phone number and full voice and data capabilities including calls, texting, etc.
    I'll concede this point

It's 1m static immersion only in clean water within a specific temperature range. Anything outside of that is outside of it's IP rating.

So you can buy an S2 or S3, turn it on, never pair it or go through a start up that requires a phone, and use it without any limitations to it's capability?

Quote Originally Posted by Lokifish View Post
    So you can buy an S2 or S3, turn it on, never pair it or go through a start up that requires a phone, and use it without any limitations to it's capability?
    Yes, with some caveats. Without pairing it to a phone or tablet you can only use the faces and apps that are pre-installed.

However, that is a moot point when taking in to account the scope of OP's initial post. He would set it up via his mobile device (if he wishes) and then on days when he is at the beach he could leave his phone at home. As a bonus, you can also set it up so that any calls, etc, that are sent to the phone are automatically forwarded to the watch when they are not paired.
    Contact Info:
    I love deals on watches!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information