Is the novelty of smart watches coming to an end
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Is the novelty of smart watches coming to an end

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is the novelty of smart watches coming to an end

I have been wearing on and off a Vector Luna smart watch as it had a good clear easy to read screen and even though the display was on 24/7 a battery that lasts a month but last night a friend made me an offer and today it's now sold will I miss it you know what I don't think I will. As a collector I have always enjoyed changing watches and have been changing more and more lately and every time I have missed not having a smart watch on less and less I still have in my collection box a black Pebble Steel thats a keeper as part of my watch collections history. Can still see why people who run want something to record details etc but a good quality wrist strap type are easy to find and work well and do the job wonderfully then after your run you can shower and put a real watch on again. So for me at least a smart watch as done the rounds and as now gone the same way as 3D and curved TV's been there done it and now finding it hard to see what all the fuss was about.

Peter

Re: Is the novelty of smart watches coming to an end

Not trying to be a grammar ...., but an occasional period would be nice.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    HerrNano, pr1uk, sager and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JuryDuty View Post
    Not trying to be a grammar ...., but an occasional period would be nice.

I think the forum's auto-censor took out a word. I'll fix it for ya:

"Not trying to be a grammar [email protected],..."

pr1uk likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    I think the forum's auto-censor took out a word. I'll fix it for ya:

"Not trying to be a grammar [email protected],..."

TYFT. hilarious.

I might write a separate thread later, as I can only speak for myself --

Where I'm working now, we can't have personal electronic gadgets of any kind. When I arrive in the morning, I turn off my phone and leave it in my car. I've got no use at all for a smartwatch at work (although they allow fitness bands without wifi radios).

Fortunately, they give me a telework option, so I only go there twice a week. But that's beside the point here...

I miss my AW at work, and I miss it when I don't wear it at home, too. I don't have a nav screen in my car, and I'm resisting getting a dash mount for my phone -- so any navigation is audio-only, which is 90% useful until I can't see the map to pick my own route change.

Eh... my sentence structure is suffering. ;)

What about everyone else besides me? Is the market slowing down? Yeah, I think so (this holiday quarter may say otherwise), but I don't think the concept is faulty.

I think the supporting tech—namely battery technology—is the last hurdle. It's the only consistent complaint that anyone has across every smartwatch platform. Square vs round, cellular vs no cellular, Android vs Tizen vs watchOS, blah blah blah… Most people who have not bought into smartwatches don't care as much about those things as they do about battery life.

Once manufacturers can bring new battery tech—which I'm sure they would LOVE to do—it'll be a whole new game.

Yes.... they are coming to an end... Sales figures prove that even fitness bands are not selling as they once used to.

For the majority of people out there, Smart Watches will be a passing fad... With fitness band companies like Xiaomi (right behind Fitbit) coming out with cheap $13 fitness bands, wearables are going to be either just another tech commodity.... like keyboards, mice... Monitors etc. Or an extremely niche product.

I can see companies starting to hand out fitness notification bands like they do those branded elastic bands now. Why would people pay hundreds of dollars when they can get heart rate monitors, sleep tracking, notifications etc. Etc for free?
    Last edited by Buhma55c; December 9th, 2016 at 18:16.

I've followed the smartwatch trend from the beginning and had a couple Pebbles and a Android smartwatch at one time. What struck me from the very beginning is how the makers of these devices absolutely could not grasp the notion that a smartwatch is not just a small smartphone. They struggled to cram more and more features and apps into the things and just succeeded in making the entire thing unusable and unattractive to everyone except very plugged in geek types eager to tinker with them. Simple notifications and a good looking watch were all I wanted at the time. The Pebble came closest to this for me, but they just never really looked all that good.

I could imagine inexpensive, simple smartwatches still finding a niche, but not if they insist on over-complicating the things with whizzbang features few actually want.
    pr1uk likes this.

It's similar to the situation with automobiles 100+ years ago...first they were a novelty, then they became a common sight, then EVERYone had one....a similar thing happened with televisions beginning in the late 1940's and home computers in the late 80's/early 90's....same with smartwatches...we may be leaving the novelty phase, but they will continue to improve, add functionality, become more useful, etc. In a generation, people will be amazed that WE lived without them for so long. I don't even have one yet (I can not wear anything on my wrist at work), but have seen this sort of thing happen many times over....may we all live long enough to see lifelike robots in our homes, as predicted for the last 90+ years....they will follow the same pattern>>>novelty>>>common sight>>>everyone has one

Quote Originally Posted by HerrNano View Post
    I've followed the smartwatch trend from the beginning and had a couple Pebbles and a Android smartwatch at one time. What struck me from the very beginning is how the makers of these devices absolutely could not grasp the notion that a smartwatch is not just a small smartphone. They struggled to cram more and more features and apps into the things and just succeeded in making the entire thing unusable and unattractive to everyone except very plugged in geek types eager to tinker with them. Simple notifications and a good looking watch were all I wanted at the time. The Pebble came closest to this for me, but they just never really looked all that good.

I could imagine inexpensive, simple smartwatches still finding a niche, but not if they insist on over-complicating the things with whizzbang features few actually want.
    Just waiting for BarracksSi to come here and tell you are wrong because....Apple watch...
    mharris660 likes this.

I forsee doctors handing out medical bands to keep tabs of patients glucose levels, oxygen levels etc. Etc.... More targeted at single use than a full blown throw everything into it smart watch.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information