Question about the Galaxy Watch from a skeptic
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Question about the Galaxy Watch from a skeptic

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Question about the Galaxy Watch from a skeptic

Hi all,

So I picked this watch up in late 2018, motivation being it was cool and also for simplicity having a everything in one-solution. Tho I have to say, I'm one of those people that find tech to be more overwhelming than liberating.

Basically I'm a guy who's looking into buying my first automatic, I wanna cut down on my smartphone and I generally enjoy wearing a notebook and a quality pen to write stuff down.

Anyway

I returned it after a weak for multiple reasons.

1. Realizing that on all matters where this could do what my phone (Note 9 btw) did, I much rather prefered the 1-2 seconds it took me to pick up my phone.
    Though this might just be a habit and I would quickly consider it nice to not have to pick up my phone to check stuff.
    I just realized there's also the additional risk of starting to fiddle with my phone when I have it in my hands.

2. On the rare occasions I did not have access to my phone, it was mostly because I didn't need it. If I'm out jogging I might come across an accident and having to call 911, but... come on, what level of paranoia-thinking is that.

3. On the features on the watch that my phone didn't have, like heart-rate monitor and other stuff I'm not too familiar with, it seemed like it wasn't trustworthy enough by reviews, and that if I cared about that stuff I would be better off getting a dedicated activity-bracelet with the band around the waist and all that stuff.
    Also, when I'm lifting weights and all that, my mind is more than capable to actually remember each set, and noting it down in my trusty notepad instead of fiddling around with my smartwatch.

4. Samsung Pay is still not a thing in my Country. I never cared about paying with my phone, I just as well pick up my wallet and take out my card, but if I should embrace the idea of a tech watch, it would annoy me that a watch intended to cover most aspects of every day life, would not be able to do a basic one

And finally, and this is a big one for me (I've propably forgotten something), the watch faces... I can't be the only one that find the analogue watch faces hideous, as they lack any depth to them and look as fake as they are...Though, obviously I realize I can't expect them to look real.
    Again, maybe only a habit.

I've been fascinated by old automatic timekeepers the last year, like the cogs and wheels of it feels more personal, soulfull and timeless, rather than some technology that's gonna be outdated within a few years, but anything but a automatic would give me accuracy, and buying a watch you'd want to control every week seems a bit... absurd to me.

Having said all this, it's only my subjective experience for the very short time I had it, but I'm still drawn to the coolness of it, and would love for anyone to give me their pros/cons and also adress my grievances with this watch.

And then there's the question of if Samsung is gonna drop the sequel soon or if it's only the active models, because I hate to buy one and a week later see that they're dropping a improved new version.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Re: Question about the Galaxy Watch from a skeptic

Samsung works on a 2 year lifecycle for their smartwatches and the Active/sport variants are each alternate year so a new one is typically about a year away.

Don't disagree with anything you say, they are by their very nature a feature/function driven device, and this often influences the purchase decision, whereas Automatic watches are very much a fashion/statement decision.

There is some crossover of course, but one generally doesn't replace the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar_917 View Post
    ^^ tells the truth on Internet forums
    So many watches, So little time...
    SoOoO many watches, SoOoO little time...

I don't think anything physically new inside will turn out soon.
    Samsung Galaxy line will be supplemented with may be new fitness band but internals and functionality will be mostly same.
    Smartwatch is smart watch with all goods and bads and it's really upfront.
    I have one, wear constantly and it one of the most comfortable watches ever. My gripes are literally hard to see in direct sunlight and not always on screen, but these are part of the watch i knew what i am getting right off the bat.
    It like complain why it has flat screen and hands on the screen don't have same 3D quality as one in fine watch... they don't because they pixels on the screen.
    On same level i can complain why regular watch don't have ability to change dial design at push of the button. Cool feature why Rolex don't have it? Go out of the water push button and Submariner turns into Explorer, go to the event push button- Cellini, work - date just .... damn !
    Nemo_Sandman and BarracksSi like this.
    It should be special!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Can I assume you are new to the watch world and still in the honey moon with mechanical watches? I had similar feelings years ago but lately I changed my mind. After a while you realize that mechanical watches are mostly unchanged in the last 200 years, yet new stories are invented to make us buy “new” versions. I still like mechanical watches, I’m just not buying them anymore.

Smart watches are mostly sold on features and less on look. I think manufacturers should invest more in case design and materials in order to address the aesthetics also. They should put more effort into face design with emphasis on 3D. I am pretty much sure that with today’s technology a watch face with the right 3D depth and simulated light reflection can be achieved.

1. Realizing that on all matters where this could do what my phone (Note 9 btw) did, I much rather prefered the 1-2 seconds it took me to pick up my phone.
    Though this might just be a habit and I would quickly consider it nice to not have to pick up my phone to check stuff.
    I just realized there's also the additional risk of starting to fiddle with my phone when I have it in my hands.

Nothing wrong with this line of thinking. Majority dont even wear a watch of any kind now days. 15 years ago I used to see watch kiosks and mall shops a lot... not anymore. I think its because most people today use their smart phones instead.

2. On the rare occasions I did not have access to my phone, it was mostly because I didn't need it. If I'm out jogging I might come across an accident and having to call 911, but... come on, what level of paranoia-thinking is that.
    Living off grid and disconnected is nice. Leave the connected world behind and engage with the real world... I do that too and find it refreshing. On those days I wear a seiko, g-shock or eco-drive. But I never go out without a cell phone. Accidents can and do happen. In my mind its better to have and not need than to need and not have.

3. On the features on the watch that my phone didn't have, like heart-rate monitor and other stuff I'm not too familiar with, it seemed like it wasn't trustworthy enough by reviews, and that if I cared about that stuff I would be better off getting a dedicated activity-bracelet with the band around the waist and all that stuff.
    Also, when I'm lifting weights and all that, my mind is more than capable to actually remember each set, and noting it down in my trusty notepad instead of fiddling around with my smartwatch.

Wrist worn heart rate sensors are iffy, and inaccurate many times. The exception would be the apple watch. I really dont use mine that much. If I need to grab an accurate pulse, I do it the old fashioned way.

4. Samsung Pay is still not a thing in my Country. I never cared about paying with my phone, I just as well pick up my wallet and take out my card, but if I should embrace the idea of a tech watch, it would annoy me that a watch intended to cover most aspects of every day life, would not be able to do a basic one
    I never cared to use NFC payment methods either. On ether a watch or my phone.... shrug.

And finally, and this is a big one for me (I've propably forgotten something), the watch faces... I can't be the only one that find the analogue watch faces hideous, as they lack any depth to them and look as fake as they are...Though, obviously I realize I can't expect them to look real.
    Again, maybe only a habit.

Yeah cosmetic appearance is not a smart watch strong suit and certainly illuminated pixels can not replace actual physical materials.

I've been fascinated by old automatic timekeepers the last year, like the cogs and wheels of it feels more personal, soulfull and timeless, rather than some technology that's gonna be outdated within a few years, but anything but a automatic would give me accuracy, and buying a watch you'd want to control every week seems a bit... absurd to me.
    A smart watch is a wrist worn computer. A mechanical watch is a wrist watch. Two totally different technologies... both tell time, but go about it different ways. Thats why I own both. Variety is a spice of life.

Having said all this, it's only my subjective experience for the very short time I had it, but I'm still drawn to the coolness of it, and would love for anyone to give me their pros/cons and also adress my grievances with this watch.
    I'm not about to try and change your views on the matter. I will say this though... the one reason I wear a smart watch is so I can mute my phone and get wrist vibration alerts for notifications. I work in an open office environment so I dont want to disturb others, and it helps prevent those "I missed your text / call" moments.

And then there's the question of if Samsung is gonna drop the sequel soon or if it's only the active models, because I hate to buy one and a week later see that they're dropping a improved new version.
    I wouldn't worry about that. Samsung does a great job supporting their older generation watches... they get old, but not obsolete.
    Last edited by kramer5150; August 23rd, 2019 at 16:16.

Hey, SDM. Can't argue with any of your points above, and they're very similar to the ones I had for not having a smartwatch previously (not needing a lot of the features, ugly watch faces, etc.).

For me, the Samsung Galaxy 46 mm was the first that came close enough to looking like a real watch to overcome my initial dislike, mainly due to its shape, size and the rotating bezel. The watch faces don't look like real watches, but I do appreciate the ability to see enough information at a glance (temperature, watch battery status) and that helps make up for it. My main reason for getting one was smart notifications -- half the time I can't feel my phone vibrate in my pocket when a notification goes off, so having the notifications on my wrist really helps. So, yeah, it's all about what's important and not important to you.

As for a Galaxy Watch update, I was hoping for one this year, but it looks like all we're getting is the Galaxy Watch Active this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped the rotating bezel altogether after this.

So my biggest issue with smartwatches are that they're, well, ugly.

Look, most (if not all) of us have smartphones in our pockets. Many of us sit in front of computers for a good portion of the day. We don't NEED a wristwatch to tell time anymore..... So why do we still care about them ? Well, for many of us (and I'll certainly lump myself into this category), it's an aesthetics thing. I'm a male, and outside of my wedding ring, I don't really wear any "jewelry". I have no interest in a necklace. I have no interest in earrings. Other than my wedding ring, I have no interest in rings. So what's left ? A wristwatch ! I consider my wristwatch as much an "accessory" as a tool for telling time. I consider it a fashion accessory, part of my look. Just to be clear - I'm also interested in horology, the history of it, the mechanics of a finely, precisely made manual movement. But that doesn't detract from the fact that I also consider my wristwatch part of my fashion and style.

Smartwatches, in general and in the past, have been ugly. Most are plastic and rubber. Most have nothing but brightly lit LCD screens. Ever since the first generation, original Samsung Gear watches, I've been saying that there's a missed market (however small) when it comes to smartwatches and those who are horology hobbyists. My wife actually found me the perfect smartwatch - a fusion between the modern day LCD screen and the analog hands of a traditional wristwatch. It was originally a Kickstarter campaign by a company called ZeTime. And I have to say, when I got this watch (it was a birthday gift), I absolutely fell in love with it. It's EXACTLY what I had been looking for in a smartwatch. See below for photos of it on my wrist - with the display off and with the display on.

That being said, I don't know if the market is THAT big for those who want the hybrid model (the modern LCD screen but with traditional hands). Honestly, I see a LOT of people walking around with the Apple Watch. And I'll admit, it's decently stylish and functions for what it's intended for. But I have no illusions that an Apple Watch would ever satisfy a true horology enthusiast.

Name:  IMG_20190826_154849.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  90.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20190828_164450.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  88.9 KB
    Before you ask, yes, I've seen -45 degrees (both Celsius and Fahrenheit)

I took a long hard look at the Garmin Vivomove HR for much the same reason -- it actually looks like a watch! I'd have gotten one instead of my 46mm Galaxy if the reviews weren't so terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner1 View Post
    So my biggest issue with smartwatches are that they're, well, ugly.

Look, most (if not all) of us have smartphones in our pockets. Many of us sit in front of computers for a good portion of the day. We don't NEED a wristwatch to tell time anymore..... So why do we still care about them ? Well, for many of us (and I'll certainly lump myself into this category), it's an aesthetics thing. I'm a male, and outside of my wedding ring, I don't really wear any "jewelry". I have no interest in a necklace. I have no interest in earrings. Other than my wedding ring, I have no interest in rings. So what's left ? A wristwatch ! I consider my wristwatch as much an "accessory" as a tool for telling time. I consider it a fashion accessory, part of my look. Just to be clear - I'm also interested in horology, the history of it, the mechanics of a finely, precisely made manual movement. But that doesn't detract from the fact that I also consider my wristwatch part of my fashion and style.

Smartwatches, in general and in the past, have been ugly. Most are plastic and rubber. Most have nothing but brightly lit LCD screens. Ever since the first generation, original Samsung Gear watches, I've been saying that there's a missed market (however small) when it comes to smartwatches and those who are horology hobbyists. My wife actually found me the perfect smartwatch - a fusion between the modern day LCD screen and the analog hands of a traditional wristwatch. It was originally a Kickstarter campaign by a company called ZeTime. And I have to say, when I got this watch (it was a birthday gift), I absolutely fell in love with it. It's EXACTLY what I had been looking for in a smartwatch. See below for photos of it on my wrist - with the display off and with the display on.

That being said, I don't know if the market is THAT big for those who want the hybrid model (the modern LCD screen but with traditional hands). Honestly, I see a LOT of people walking around with the Apple Watch. And I'll admit, it's decently stylish and functions for what it's intended for. But I have no illusions that an Apple Watch would ever satisfy a true horology enthusiast.

Name:  IMG_20190826_154849.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  90.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20190828_164450.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  88.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Meatshield the Yeti View Post
    I took a long hard look at the Garmin Vivomove HR for much the same reason -- it actually looks like a watch! I'd have gotten one instead of my 46mm Galaxy if the reviews weren't so terrible.
    So the issue I see with brands like Garmin and such is that they're not really "watch" companies. Garmin, for example, is well known for GPS products (like handheld GPS and vehicle GPS), marine electronics, and, as of recently, wrist-worn fitness trackers. Honestly, they do really well with those products, and I've owned a few of them so I can say that from real-world experience. Now they're trying to get into the smartwatch space, I suspect, because it's a business vertical that makes sense if you consider their wrist-worn fitness trackers (which were designed to compete with Fitbit and the like). The problem you run into is that they're simply not a "watch" company. They're an electronics company trying to create a watch. That approach doesn't always result in a great product......

That's what I find is different from MyKronoz (the manufacturer that makes the ZeTime, which is the watch pictured in my previous post). A quick blurb from their website:

Founded in January 2013, MyKronoz is a Swiss company headquartered in Geneva that designs and develops wearable devices to expand and facilitate the connected experience of the smart generation. Bringing together the essence of watchmaking tradition and innovative technology, MyKronoz offers a full range of affordable and stylish wearables, spanning across 4 product categories: activity trackers, smartwatches, hybrid smartwatches and watch phones, all compatible with iOS and Android

The difference is that MyKronoz is a watch company first, and an electronics company second. At least that's how I perceive it. I've been wearing the ZeTime daily for almost 2 years now, and it's been on many long haul trips (car, boat, airplane, train, you name it). I can personally attest to its durability, resistance to scratching and wear / tear, functionality and aesthetics / style. Literally this morning I was having a meeting with someone and they commented that they thought my watch was very nice and asked if it was a Movado

Like I said, I do realize that the market for a traditional-looking smartwatch might be fairly small (well, maybe not so, I checked it out, see below), but we absolutely do exist. ZeTime was crowdfunded and here's the results from that:

In 2017, MyKronoz ZeTime raised +$8M from over 40,000 backers in more than 100 countries. ZeTime has become the world's highest funded hybrid smartwatch, the largest crowdfunding campaign ever from a European company and the most backed product of 2017.

I think the next few years will be very interesting. I would not be surprised at all if we see more traditional-looking smartwatches (hybrid smartwatches) come onto the market from some of the more well known horology manufacturers.
    Before you ask, yes, I've seen -45 degrees (both Celsius and Fahrenheit)

I don’t think it matters anymore if it’s a watch company or electronics, as long as they have the right management. Garmin has quite a variety of smart and sports watches to offer, some with quite good design. But I think in this market, the feature set matters more than looks. IMO hybrid watches are kind of missing the point - their analog design is usually minimalist so it allows a screen for the smart part, and they lack in smart features and apps. It is better to have a mechanical watch and a smart watch separately and wear them on rotation, whenever you feel like it or need the features.
    BarracksSi likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information