Recommendations for a Pilot, new to smartwatches, opinions wanted b-)
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Recommendations for a Pilot, new to smartwatches, opinions wanted b-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Recommendations for a Pilot, new to smartwatches, opinions wanted b-)

Looking for a durable smartwatch for constant travel.

Needs:
    • Clear, very legible, display. Can't read my trusty Casios any more and too much hassle to drag out glasses just to read GMT/Zulu
    • GMT clearly displayed
    • Terrific battery life. More is better. 3 day minimum (without GPS)
    • Needs to look professional

Wants:
    • Sleep, Heart Rate and Fitness tracking
    • EKG
    • Always on display

I love the look of the AlpinerX. Users seem to be less than enthusiastic and I guess a battery change requires sending it off. $614.00 appears to be the best deal at JomasShop

Name:  Annotation 2019-12-08 085510.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  81.7 KB

Then there are the Garmins - The Fenix 5X Sapphire is on sale for $299 and could be converted to an aviation series D2 Delta (but frankly there isn't much I'd ever dig into the watch to do aviation wise, the company issues us an excellent iPad Pro based Electronic Flight Bag)

Name:  Annotation 2019-12-08 085922.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  60.3 KB

And of course the new Fenix 6X Sapphire at $770 (is it more than twice as good?)

What about the Samsung Galaxy? Is it soon to be replaced? Any good for a professional tool?

Thank you for your opinions.

Re: Recommendations for a Pilot, new to smartwatches, opinions wanted b-)

I have the Samsung Galaxy 46mm. Comes with rubber bracelet but I added a stainless steel one.
    Has heart rate, fitness, sleep, all that.
    Has barometer, and other things, you can add other apps to it.
    Has GPS, is waterproof.
    Looks very good and there are tons of faces. AOD is often hit-or-miss in that, in sleep mode, it may not be bright enough, or be too bright, and may not display the key features you want. But there are thousands of faces to pick from.
    Battery wise, it's over after~36 hrs.
    Proflig8tor likes this.

The most important clarification: Is your phone an Android or iOS?

If you are on iOS, start with the apple watch. It meets most of your criteria and has a FDA approved ECG sensor (although others may too). It may not look very "professional" though, depending on the individual preferences. 3+ day battery life with always on display might be difficult depending on your usage / settings. There are 100s of downloadable watch faces, I would think you can find one that displays world times for your GMT requirement. I am not an apple fan in any way, but objectively I have to give credit to Cupertino... they continually get SO MANY things right on the apple watch. I consider it industry leading.

The Garmin Fenix watches are also outstanding. They work on both iOS and Android. They meet most of your requirements. Battery life is in the vicinity of ~10-14 days with a full feature always on display... It's not a dumb-watch time tick display. Its not a vibrant-radiant oled display though. Its a trans-flective LCD with user selectable back light LED and I think it is button press interface only. But let others correct me on that last one. IMHO the Garmin watches are not professional looking though.

The D2 Charlie military issue comes to mind immediately as a pilot aviation tracker. I am not sure if it has ECG/EKG though.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/av...aviator-watch/

Good Luck in your search though
    Last edited by kramer5150; December 8th, 2019 at 19:15.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
    The most important clarification: Is your phone an Android or iOS?
    Good Luck in your search though
    Thank you Kramer.

I've been Android forever. Agreed, if I was an Apple user this would be easier. My wife loves her iPhone11, so when they launch a 5G product I will probably make the switch.

Where I live TMobile launched 5G but nobody is on the 600mhz band yet. We LG V30 users had the radio a couple years of early and have gotten to enjoy a frequency band nobody was on for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Proflig8tor View Post
    Thank you Kramer.

I've been Android forever. Agreed, if I was an Apple user this would be easier. My wife loves her iPhone11, so when they launch a 5G product I will probably make the switch.

Where I live TMobile launched 5G but nobody is on the 600mhz band yet. We LG V30 users had the radio a couple years of early and have gotten to enjoy a frequency band nobody was on for a while.
    Cool deal. Hopefully others can make additional recommendations. IMHO your 3+ day battery life with always on OLED (clear/legible) display is limiting your options

ps... I use an LG V10 since 2015, love it paired with a UAG case.

Any of them will have some "pilot" themed watch face. both android and Samsung.
    Alpina is phone companion not as much as stand alone.
    All 46 mm watches offer more than 3 days life
    Samsung Galaxy 46 mm is 7 days
    Always on is Samsung/Garmin
    It should be special!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1991 View Post
    All 46 mm watches offer more than 3 days life
    Samsung Galaxy 46 mm is 7 days
    These are not the numbers I get with mine. I'm lucky if I can get 48 hrs. That's if I basically don't work with any functions on the watch, don't receive texts, or use it to answer phone calls.

Quote Originally Posted by oli77 View Post
    These are not the numbers I get with mine. I'm lucky if I can get 48 hrs. That's if I basically don't work with any functions on the watch, don't receive texts, or use it to answer phone calls.
    I have 42 mm Gear Sport and it gives me 3 days. always on display should not be on full brightness and at night thus 46 mm Galaxy watch can do better. It almost 70% battery in capacity.
    Garmin has e-ink in their 5 series watches and it will not consume as much too so 7 days don't sound unreasonable.
    It should be special!

Don't want to get off topic, but the numbers I quoted are with 25% display AOD, and off at night. I did have check heart rate every 10 minutes ON. Will try with that OFF to see if I can get better than 48 hrs.
    Just putting it out there for OP who should know.
    Last edited by oli77; December 15th, 2019 at 17:07. Reason: typo
    Rocket1991 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by oli77 View Post
    Don't want to get off topic, but the numbers I quoted are with 25% display AOD, and off at night. I did have check heart rate every 10 minutes ON. Will try with that OFF to see if I can get better than 48 hrs.
    Just putting it out there for OP who should know.
    Yeah if you don't need the continual heart rate check, turn it off, this should gain you some battery performance.
    Turning off wifi when not needed also should improve battery.

Do the 46mm really get 7 days though? That seems really optimistic. Only way to get that kind of battery performance is to turn off all radios, all apps, all sensors, all notifications, deactivate tilt-to wake, deactivate screen tap to wake and never illuminate the oled display. Basically dial everything down to a dumb watch with a blank display.
    Last edited by kramer5150; December 15th, 2019 at 18:41.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information