Rotating smartwatches

Thread: Rotating smartwatches

Rotating smartwatches

Hi,

Is anyone wearing different smartwatches by rotation? Like an Apple Watch and a Samsung Galaxy Watch, or other brands? But not with mechanical watches.

I currently wear an Apple Watch S3 and was thinking to get a used Samsung Galaxy Watch to wear in rotation, especially when going to gym, to the beach, swimming, hiking or whenever. It could be nice to alternate the square face of the AW to the round face of the Samsung, while not giving up the functionality.

WDYT?

Thanks

Re: Rotating smartwatches

Quote Originally Posted by utzelu View Post
    Hi,

Is anyone wearing different smartwatches by rotation? Like an Apple Watch and a Samsung Galaxy Watch, or other brands? But not with mechanical watches.

I currently wear an Apple Watch S3 and was thinking to get a used Samsung Galaxy Watch to wear in rotation, especially when going to gym, to the beach, swimming, hiking or whenever. It could be nice to alternate the square face of the AW to the round face of the Samsung, while not giving up the functionality.

WDYT?

Thanks
    Let me edit that sentence to what it really means in the world of smartwatches:

"It could be nice to alternate the square face of a smartwatch on one software platform to the round face of a watch on a completely different platform, while not giving up the functionality enjoyed by sticking with a particular platform."

I would consider which functions I'd be willing to give up by using a smartwatch that isn't fully integrated into my smartphone/tablet/computer ecosystem, and then weighing them against the potential benefits of different smartwatch hardware (more durable, etc).

They say that Samsung has an iOS app that helps their watches to work with iPhones, but it's not able to do everything that it needs to do.

If we're talking about going to the beach, hiking, etc., I'd be looking at a fitness-focused watch instead, like a Garmin or something like that. At least I'll already have realistic expectations about what it can and can't do.

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    Let me edit that sentence to what it really means in the world of smartwatches:

"It could be nice to alternate the square face of a smartwatch on one software platform to the round face of a watch on a completely different platform, while not giving up the functionality enjoyed by sticking with a particular platform."

I would consider which functions I'd be willing to give up by using a smartwatch that isn't fully integrated into my smartphone/tablet/computer ecosystem, and then weighing them against the potential benefits of different smartwatch hardware (more durable, etc).
    This is a good point too and something that I’d like to see addressed by the industry. But I was thinking on rotating smart watches with mechanical watches when I wrote about giving up functionality. When I wear a a mechanical watch I am practically giving up the useful features of the smart watch for the aesthetics of the mechanical. And since I don’t own expensive or iconic watches, the functionality takes priority most of the time. With rotating smart watches, I would address the aesthetics issue, especially since the Android or Samsung platforms allow face customization.

I already did some investigation into the feature set of Samsung Galaxy Watch when paired with the iPhone and I am not giving up to features I use. And now, the latest Galaxy version, at 42mm, looks much better than the previous model.

I had the Garmin Fenix 3 on loan for a week and didn’t like it, mainly because it was not a smart watch, screen quality and lack of versatility (too sports oriented). I may check Casio’s upcoming WSD-F30 when it is coming in January.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes, I'm sure it can be done as long as you are willing to accept some compromises.

I've done this with 3 different Samsung watches at the same time
    Gear S3 Classic, Gear S3 Frontier, and Gear S2, then Gear Sport.

Upside is that I always had a readily charged watch to wear, could change style quickly and easily depending on activity and dress, and when travelling, could take 3 watches and get through more than a week away from a charger.

Of course, you could also quickly change out straps and faces according to your mood.

I had an Apple Watch as well, but never had this in rotation with the others as I was no longer using an iPhone at the time and it couldn't sync anything with my Samsung Phone.

They all synched with Samsung Health, but you do need to make sure inactive watches are off or disconnected or it gets confused as to which one to collect data from.
    (Which was an issue if one was charging in close proximity to one I was wearing - e.g. sleep data)

There are some limitations with the Gear app in managing multiple devices however, and they have to be managed separately and you can't easily set them all up the same way or restore back up from one to the other.

This wasn't a huge issue after initial setup though, Just means doing some things multiple times if you want all the watches with the same setup.

I have replaced them with 2 x Gear watches which work exactly the same way without issue.

The biggest problem I have with them now is that I currently have no Smartwatch at all as my daughter has "borrowed" the Rose Gold one and my Son has "loaned" the black one.

My daughter uses hers with her iPhone 7+ and the only obvious limitation is she can't respond to messages, (although she can read them), and can't initiate phone calls.

All the activity data passes through on to the hosted service she uses, via an iOS app that she used to use previously with my old Apple Watch which she also appropriated. (can't remember the name of the app - sorry).

I've ordered another Gear watch for me and will probably just go back to using 1 at a time for a while.

As you are suggesting using an Apple Watch, I assume you use an iPhone as your primary device so I expect you would be able to do similar to me but with the limitations on the Tizen/Android Wear/Garmin side and a fully functional Apple Watch.

For collecting activity data, a lot will depend on your choice of data aggregator/tracking/reporting app and service.

I know that Tizen and Android Wear allow third party apps to access sensors and data direct from the watch, so you can capture real time activity whereas Apple doesn't (or didn't - that may have changed recently?) and requires the data to pass through their own app on the iPhone first and disseminating limited summary information to others.
    (The Apple Watch gets full access of course.)

I say go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar_917 View Post
    ^^ tells the truth on Internet forums
    So many watches, So little time...
    SoOoO many watches, SoOoO little time...

Thanks for the tips @Black5. The only feature I would miss with the Samsung is the ability to initiate and respond on phone calls. Currently I am hunting a used Galaxy Watch and fortunately they sell for quite a low price (under $200).

I still like my pebble time so dutring the working week i rotate the 2 pebble times as the original model is lasting 4 days rather than the usual 5.
    I change on thursday morning.

At the weekend i am trying to get used to android wear with huwaei watch w1 but i hate the lack of buttons and swiping on a titchy screen is odd.
    Davosa,Omega speedy reduced, Seiko(6) ,Orient (3),Citizen (3) GShocks(8), Pebble Time smartwatches (2) are my poison on a Skinny 5 and 3/4 inch wrist

Thread Information