Samsung Galaxy Watch 46 mm - My review and my uses !
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Samsung Galaxy Watch 46 mm - My review and my uses !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Samsung Galaxy Watch 46 mm - My review and my uses !

Hello,

this little review/impression is written one week after my purchase so it may be biased by the novelty and the honeymoon.
    Novelty, not so much: two years ago I was wearing for three months a Samsung S3 Frontier, another bezel driven 46mm smartwatch. It was beautiful but I did not find it reliable on one important point: sudden battery drains especially when using the simple of function of... stopwatch... the samsung application was a disaster.
    I had enjoyed the ergos and the beautiful screen but regret not to be able to swim with it.
    Anyway from the Frontier i have jumped in the Garmin Fenix 5X and 5XS experience and since November into the Garmin instinct the last being a real technological wonder IMHO.
    My first thread about the Instinct is here:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f296/g...l-4824981.html

So I was a happy bunny with my Instinct minding my own business when as the occasion of Father's day, the wifey deiced to surprise me with a Samsung Galaxy Watch 46mm. She's is an Apple user and I am an Android user. I really like the way she uses her AW4 for being able to answer to many different sollicitations on the go.

Well, now I'm obliged to wear that 46mm GW. And the only way to be freed of it is to push it to its limits and then being able to go back to my beloved Instinct.

So how will I include that "smart watch" when I only need a good Outdoor watch ?

The Samsung Galaxy is now one year old. The 50meters water proof case is also rated to some military level. So it means it is suppose to withstand some action life. I have read review of surfers using their Galaxy Watch everyday with zero issue and we know how salt water can be aggressive to any gear.
    The case is silver, metallic with some shiny parts and brush steel parts: it looks really high quality.
    Two years ago I have noticed the bezel of my Frontier was really "scratchproof" . A friend of mine got his Frontier for two years of everyday use and the watch is still beautiful: I expect at least the same longevity for the GW46mm. The OEM band is nicely done with curved spring bars which give it a very modern and masculine aspect. Coming from G-Shocks, I don't feel it "that" clunky at all. The bezel is still fun to use and the two large buttons complete it well. A friend of mine even thought they were two USB plugs !!
    No plug in that watch: everything is done by induction.

The watch act like a proactive robot: it study the owner and then propose services without to be intrusive. It has learned quick that I dont want to be disturbed in the evening and even recognize when I fall asleep. It recognize when I am brisk walking for more than 900 steps and transform the walk into activity. It is done automatically and I enjoy that.
    Also it propose some briefing in the evening or the morning.

I don't have any issue with waking up with my wrist BTW. I am even able to wake it up in a slow wipe by raising my arm.
    Everything works perfectly. Zero frustration.

What I loved with my Garmin was the possibility to have shortcuts by combination of its 5 keys.
    With only two buttons, there is only one shortcut on the Samsung by pushing the Home Button twice.
    I have chosen music control. Because I need to be able to shut it off quick in cas of a phone call or visit.

My widgets/pages chosen so far
    One push on the home button and I have set the menu to bring me the last application I have used. It worst almost all shortcuts.
    Also they are shortcuts widgets you can for example add 6 applications on each them. I have two group of widgets: one with timers, multitimers, stopwatch and alarms and another one with different navigation and GPS applications.
    Then is the Weather widget which works great. I was happy with the Instinct weather widget but this one works great too by bringing forcast for the 6 next days and also the time of sunset or sunrise.
    Then the altibaro widget: nothing to report, it is beautiful and seems to work OK. My main grief is not being able to have a longer graphic than the 6 last hours. On the Instinct I was able to see a 48 hours graphic.
    Then comes the Samsung Health which I'm trying to couple with MapMyRun.
    MapMy Run is working great, I have been able to get the same kind of visualization as on my Fenix 5X.
    The Watch can use its own GPS/Glonass chip or the smartphone's if you carry it.
    As I always carrying my phone, this morning I have been able to walk one hour without losing 1% of battery: I have left home at 100% and back at 100% !! And I was waking up the screen a lot of time to check the red track on the map.

Ah battery life: that was one of my biggest concern especially after being a Fenix 5XPlus user.
    Hey so far so good: I have not be able to go below 70% after a full charge in a day of playing a lot with the watch.
    I have even noticed it has lost only 5% in 8 hours of rest.
    Also I have re install the infamous Samsung Stopwatch application and this time the battery drain issue seems to be solved.
    BTW I am on Tizen 4.0.0.6 and UI One 1.0: everything works perfectly. No concern at all.

So MapMyRun seems to be the bread and butter for my walks as it uses in priority my big phone battery and sensors (Samsung S9 Plus) for the GPS position. I always got a powerbank with me, so I don't mind using the phone battery.
    I only need now to figure how it will exchange it information with Samsung Health but at least I got a simple way to track my walks. Most complains about that application seems to come from users who run without their phone. Hey, I walk with mine so zero issue. But beware if you want to leave your phone behind.

Sleep monitoring works fine too and brings me the same as Garmin's. The novelty is that the watch brings me also all the charts: I'm not obliged to fumble in the phone application to find them. It's complete monitoring with all the sleep phases: light deep and paradoxal sleep.

I have tested some other activities apart from walking. It is fun to here the watch following my dumb bells reps by counting.

My last widget is a calendar.

On the application side I have downloaded some multitimers and stopwatches. I can monitor 4 events beyond 24 hours. This is great as "mission" timer or just for cooking.

I also need a calculator with % and I have found it.

One thing i have enjoyed is some Wrist Camera application (Camera One) which works great for spying and remot controlling my phone camera. It is useful as some kind of light endoscope too: it's been used in a car engine to spot a leak.

Also I have a Tide Chart which is something I really enjoy on a watch.

So, so far so good. The battery last very long: around 20% by day. The Super OLED screen is gorgeous and visible even under the sunlight. I can check emails, messages and even answering a phone call when I got both hands trapped in camera handling. This is a fun watch. Looking forward testing it in the sea. It is really what I wanted on my Frontier 2 years ago: waterproof and long lasting battery.

I"m going to upload some pictures from my phone.

Wifi has surprised on the Samsung: for any reason if the bluetooth connection is lost with the phone, the watch will look for a known wifi network to continue to be connected to your samsung account.

First thing I have notice: the Samsung GW46mm got no compass. Why do I need a compass in the first place?
    I often need to know where is the South for my video jobs for example, especially when they are clouds.
    So I have found a work around with a GPS compass.

Re: Samsung Galaxy Watch 46 mm - My review and my uses !

Great review!
    Nemo_Sandman likes this.
    It should be special!

Nice review.

The gear watch is definitely a useable advance on the Gear S3 - in particular regarding battery life and improved screen.

It is slightly larger however at 46mm, compared to 43mm of the S3, although it doesn't wear that much larger.

By the way, the Gear S3 frontier was also IP68 and milspec rated, so you definitely could swim with it.

I swam with mine regularly. A quick rinse under a tap after immersing in salt water kept it clean.

Samsung health can be set to collect input from the watch, or the phone, or both.

I used to leave it on both, and it was smart enough to pick up duplicate activity, (I.e. steps, running) and would adjust by rejecting one data set afterwards.

Not sure what sort of algorithm it used to do this, or how accurate it was, but it passed my, (much less than rigorous) testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar_917 View Post
    ^^ tells the truth on Internet forums
    So many watches, So little time...
    Nemo_Sandman likes this.
    So many watches, so little time...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Black5 View Post
    Nice review.

By the way, the Gear S3 frontier was also IP68 and milspec rated, so you definitely could swim with it.

I swam with mine regularly. A quick rinse under a tap after immersing in salt water kept it clean.

Thank you !
    Yes, I could as I have found a lot of stories of people surfing and swimming with their Frontiers. Great case!

Have you updated yours to the last Tizen and the One UI ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo_Sandman View Post
    Thank you !
    Yes, I could as I have found a lot of stories of people surfing and swimming with their Frontiers. Great case!

Have you updated yours to the last Tizen and the One UI ?
    Yes, I have.

I got 2 Gear Watches on pre-order, as I rotated my smart watches to ensure I always had a charged one. (I got around 2 days out of my Gear S3 Frontier and Classic)

Unfortunately I only used them for a little while and they get limited use these days, (by me), as they have been appropriated by my kids and they won’t give them back!

My son uses my 46mm as his daily and my daughter took my 42mm Rose gold.

They even regularly use some of my 20mm straps with them!

That’s another point - They should have left the 46mm with 22mm straps as 20mm looks too thin on them.

At least I got back my G-Shocks they previously “borrowed”. (Somewhat worse for wear - but what that’s what G-Shocks are for - yes?).

I probably shouldn’t have sold off my S3’s so quickly and should have held onto one. LOL.

I may get another Gear Watch for myself if I see a good deal come up in the near future.

Servus and Nemo_Sandman like this.

My 46mm got 22mm band.
    I like the original one with its curved spring bars.

Envoyé de mon SM-G965F en utilisant Tapatalk
    Rocket1991 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo_Sandman View Post
    My 46mm got 22mm band.
    I like the original one with its curved spring bars.

Sorry. Of course you are correct.
    My bad.
    I meant to say the 42mm has 20mm, not the 46.
    I have a bunch of straps for my Gear S3 (and my Carrera), that couldn't be used on my 42 so can't interchange between the two like I used to.

My son is using a 20mm black mesh strap on it at the moment that looks silly but he likes the fit and the convenience.

He's much more practical and less concerned about aesthetics than his old man.

Nemo_Sandman likes this.

Gear Sport i have is 50m WR with all things for swimming (mode and app).
    I regularly wash it after running and it is fine.
    It on lower version of Tizen and has some kinks,but considering i got it half price ... have nothing to complain.
    Last edited by Rocket1991; 3 Weeks Ago at 14:35.
    Nemo_Sandman likes this.
    It should be special!

A walk in the Champagne Vineyards to celebrate summer time!

On the watch :
    Great stamina and easy to read screen.
    Very classy too...

Rocket1991, Worker and ronalddheld like this.

OK let's do some update.

Battery life is excellent and much better than my two years ago S3 Frontier experience.
    Around 1% by hour even if sometimes the 100% level stays for three hours after a full recharge.

Stopwatches and timers can drain your battery unless you use third party apps which are less consuming than OEM Samsung apps...
    (Samsung is really a phone builder and not a watch maker...)

Voice recognition works all right in French for answering SMS. Surprisely good.
    The T9 keyboard is a pleasure to use again. It was the best way to answer fast with only a thumb.
    T9 was just a wonderful input experience prior to all those touch screens madness.

I have swim all Saturday in a wonderful salty swimming pool able to create white marks on the black band.
    The "submarine" mode is fun to use and sometimes I have been obliged to launch the "cleaning sound" twice before to got all water out of the speaker's hole.
    The swimming mode is not very practical compared to my Garmin Experience. Garmin watches got no touch screen, it means, you are able to use all function when the watch is wet. Next time I will not lock the Galaxy watch into swimming mode and use the cleaning sounds in the end. I still want to be able to use the functions.

Wrist movements are accurate. It can switch on and ... switch off. Soon you find your marks.

I have also use Always On Display. The battery is drained faster but it can be handy when you need to check the time without any wrist movement: discreetly. Super OLED screen got a very wide angle better than STN and at the same level as Garmin's screens. But the AOD can be tricky under the sunlight and not discreet in the evening.
    I use an orange (red) digital OEM watchface then.

For now on I got no plan to change the bezel or the band. More to come... (and some pictures loaded when I will be back to my phone.)
    Last edited by Nemo_Sandman; 2 Weeks Ago at 23:56.
    Rocket1991, Black5 and Worker like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information